UKC

Best of ShAFF: "Solo: Lost at Sea"

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 TonyM 21 Jan 2010
Went to the Showroom last night to see one of the "Best of ShAFF" film selections. Mainly because I wanted to see the climbing film, but the final offering about Andrew McAuley's attempt to kayak solo across the Tasman sea from Australia to New Zealand completely blew me away.

Am sure it was discussed back in Feb when it was shown on BBC, but it's a superbly made documentary, albeit with a gut-wrenchingly tragic ending. It captures in an extraordinarily intimate way the tension between family (being a husband and father) and the individual thirst for adventure.

It really got to me and made me question my own motives and approach to risk in a way that others' stories haven't. Essential, but perhaps uncomfortable, viewing.
 Maria B 04 Feb 2010
saw Solo last night at the London showing of the Banff mountain film fest. a lot of people were in tears and it left me heartbroken. is adventure's calling THAT much stronger than the love for one's family??? i have a hard time grasping this, but at least his wife understood him, strong woman..
Daithi O Murchu 04 Feb 2010
In reply to TonyM:

was on BBC 2 last year i think, unfortunately is no longer on iplayer or the web.

was a tough story t owatch allright but very inspiring at tha same time
 jgogs 04 Feb 2010
In reply to TonyM: I've been trying to get a copy of this for a while now. Anyone know of a uk source?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...