UKC

Resting Heart Rate

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 robdan 23 Jan 2010
Mine is currently 52 bpm. Trying to get it down in the 40's by cranking up the cardio.

What's yours resting heart rate ?

For those of you who climb long days in the UK the Alps and further afield do you ever bother monitoring it while training and preparing for trips ?

Cheers

Rob

episodit 23 Jan 2010
In reply to robdan:

Mine's 54 it seems and I consider myself particularly unfit at the moment. Low 40's when fitter and younger.
 EZ 23 Jan 2010
In reply to robdan:

43... Hoorah I feel fit!
OP robdan 23 Jan 2010
In reply to EZ: Dodgy knee prevents me from running but looks like I have to do much more cardio before I'm even reasonably fit compared to most people on here !
 EZ 23 Jan 2010
In reply to robdan:

Mine is accidental. I have a sort of raw talent that if I honed I could be much more of an athlete than I am. I don't know how I manage considering the 15 1/2 stone that I carry, either.

I cycle, run and climb and I have a physical job (at times) also.
oui oui 23 Jan 2010
In reply to robdan:
> (In reply to EZ) Dodgy knee prevents me from running but looks like I have to do much more cardio before I'm even reasonably fit compared to most people on here !

How about cycling?

Some of the fittest people on the hills I know are also die-hard mountainbikers... Less stress on the knees plus your quads get a workout.

If it makes you happier, my resting heart rate is usually between the low 50s and low 60s, depending on how much I train.

ebygomm 23 Jan 2010
In reply to robdan:

Mine's just under 50, I can get it even lower if I stop taking medication, it's not really a very good indication of fitness.

Pilch 23 Jan 2010
In reply to robdan:
just done mine its 80! is there something wrong?
 winhill 23 Jan 2010
In reply to robdan:
> Mine is currently 52 bpm.

Not bad for a Charlton fan

Enty 23 Jan 2010
In reply to Pilch:

That's probably not resting. Were you lying on the bed motionless for 10 minutes? Have you had coffe this morning?

Enty
 Pilch 23 Jan 2010
In reply to Enty:
went for a 5 mile run earlier, had 3 cups of coffee and a hot shower, will have another go first thing tomorrow
 Phil1919 23 Jan 2010
In reply to ebygomm: Mmmmmm, I've always thought it was.
 Tiberius 23 Jan 2010
In reply to Pilch:
> just done mine its 80! is there something wrong?

pmsl...there are healthier dead people

as above, it's unlikely to be really 'resting'. Try taking it first thing in the morning before you get up.
 tombeasley 23 Jan 2010
In reply to robdan: mines 47
 LiamDobson 23 Jan 2010
In reply to robdan: mine was 59 but i felt really on edge while doing it never done my pulse before. maybe that bumped it up
 Enty 23 Jan 2010
In reply to Pilch:
> (In reply to Enty)
> went for a 5 mile run earlier, had 3 cups of coffee and a hot shower, will have another go first thing tomorrow

PMSL! If you did all that and got your RHR down to 40 you'd be in the Lance Armstrong category!!

Enty
 Enty 23 Jan 2010
In reply to Pilch:
> (In reply to Enty)
> went for a 5 mile run earlier, had 3 cups of coffee and a hot shower, will have another go first thing tomorrow

On a serious note - If i'm just messing around in the house and I'm up to 80+ - It's usually telling me I've got a bug or I'm overtrained/tired.

Enty
 andy 23 Jan 2010
In reply to robdan: Interesting topic, but there's a spectacular amount of bollox spouted about resting heart rate and how "mine's lower than yours so therefore I'm fitter than you" - it's a reasonable measure of how your fitness is changing (ie if it was 55 and it's now 45 you've probably got fitter) - but comparing RHR with other people as a way of measuring relative fitness levels is guff.

And as Enty says to take your RHR it's not just a case of taking when you're not rushing about - first thing in the morning lying in bed is probably about as accurate as you can get it. I just happen to have had a new strap for my HRM delivered this morning, so I know that when sat at my desk having just opened a new HRM strap my HR is 50 - but it's nearer 40 first thing in the morning. However my max HR is pretty low - maybe as low as 175, so my working heart range may be smaller than someone whose max is 200 but their RHR is 50.

I'm doing a bit of my running training keeping an eye on HR (as opposed to actually training to a HR "zone") as I'd like to know what my marathon HR should be, as one of the key things about running your best time in a marathon is holding yourself back early in the race, and HR is one way of monitoring that.
 mypyrex 23 Jan 2010
In reply to robdan: I think it's equally important to monitor one's blood pressure and bear in mind that there is no constant. I've just been monitoring my bp at the doc's suggestion for just over two weeks. I was taking two-three readings per day at different times and they have averaged at (BP)125/76 - (Pulse)66 which the doc is happy with. I know that my pulse has been as low as about 52 and bp has been 109/66.

There are bound to be fluctuations in both bp and pulse stemming from the primeval "flight or fight" instinct and, as somebody has rightly pointed out, a lower BP/Pulse reading does not necessarily mean that you are any fitter than somebody with higher readings. I understand that too low a pulse can give cause for concern - as can too low a blood pressure.

OP robdan 23 Jan 2010
In reply to winhill: Ha ha, yes for a Charlton fan I may be fitter than most but I still own the obligatory tracksuits and hoodies !
OP robdan 23 Jan 2010
In reply to oui oui: Yeah I have been using the bike a bit and rowing down the gym and cross-trainer. Not as great as being outdoors but is helping !
OP robdan 23 Jan 2010
In reply to andy: yes, I think you are spot on. It's a measure for yourself. One girl at work has a very low resting pulse even after coffee etc apparently when she was a kid the doctor could not believe it and kept re-testing her. She does virtually no exercise. So as you say a measure to use for yourself and to help zone your exercise intensity I'd guess. I'm just being nosey !
 kevin stephens 23 Jan 2010
In reply to robdan:
about 4bpm less than my age (lying on couch after an hour of non-stimulating TV)
 Rob15 23 Jan 2010
In reply to robdan: mines 42bpm , which i am told is quite unusual :S
 mypyrex 23 Jan 2010
In reply to robdan: I would have thought that anything in the low forties is getting a bit too low.
 andy 23 Jan 2010
In reply to mypyrex: Low 40s isn't particularly unusual. I spend a fair bit if time on runners world forum chatting to reasonably competent marathon runners - as you'd expect a lot of talk there about HR zone training and I'd say a reasonable proportion of those people have resting hr of below 45.
 Phil1919 23 Jan 2010
In reply to andy: I think people are comparing them out of interest. I think most are aware that it is a personal guide. A comparison with others however isn't guff. If you've a long distance runner on a first aid course, its not difficult to find him when you practice taking the pulse. Hes likely to be 45/55, others likely to be 65/75.
episodit 23 Jan 2010
In reply to andy:

I'm sure it does vary between idividuals but the trend is for those who are the fittest e.g. trained athletes then it does tend to be lower. I know that my friends were much the same when we were all quite active, probably somewhere in the 40's.
 Rob15 23 Jan 2010
In reply to andy: but what about a natural heartrate that low, i do no running, used to do a bit of cycling but nothing serious and i have a low 40s heart rate, are there any detrimental effects of having a low natural heart rate?
episodit 23 Jan 2010
In reply to mypyrex:
> (In reply to robdan) I would have thought that anything in the low forties is getting a bit too low.

It tends to make a difference when you are trying to give blood though ....
Ian Black 23 Jan 2010
In reply to robdan: Mine varies between 42-48 BPM. Depends how hard I've been training, or if I'm coming down with something. The 60-80 bpm is just a guide, as is the 220 minus your age to find out your Max HR.
 pizza 23 Jan 2010
In reply to robdan: dus age have any relationship to heart beat? cos im 5o and pulse of 64
 yorkshireman 23 Jan 2010
In reply to episodit:
> (In reply to mypyrex)
> [...]
>
> It tends to make a difference when you are trying to give blood though ....

Is there anything to watch out for when giving blood? I'm about to do it for the first time (was planning next week) and my RHR is 43 - always has been around 50 or so and then since I started running a bit more often its dropped off to 43.

Haven't checked properly in a while though so will have another check tomorrow morning. Bound to have got less fit over xmas.

When I had a new patient check with the nurse at my GP the other week she was a bit surprised at how low my blood pressure was, and had to recheck a couple of times but still got numbers on the low side but seemed a bit more reassured when I told her I wasn't a couch potato. Are BP and RHR linked? I would assume you would need higher pressure per beat the fewer beats you have - but I could be talking guff.

episodit 23 Jan 2010
In reply to yorkshireman:

It just used to take ages ... plus I tended to faint quite a bit in my youth so that was probably related.
episodit 23 Jan 2010
In reply to episodit:

oops, I think I can remember fainting once whilst giving blood and I don't think it was just the thought. Low blood pressure does has its downsides.
 andy 23 Jan 2010
In reply to episodit:
> (In reply to andy)
>
> I'm sure it does vary between idividuals but the trend is for those who are the fittest e.g. trained athletes then it does tend to be lower. I know that my friends were much the same when we were all quite active, probably somewhere in the 40's.

Absolutely - if YOU get fitter your RHR will probably get lower. If the average sedentary person's RHR is c65 then it'd be reasonable to expect that the average for a bunch of people running 40-60mpw would be lower - but what's nonsense is where people try to infer relative cardio fitness through a difference in RHR of 10-15bpm.

And yes - max HR drops with age, don't think RHR is as corelated.
 kevin stephens 23 Jan 2010
In reply to andy:
> (In reply to episodit)
> [...]
>
>>
> And yes - max HR drops with age, don't think RHR is as corelated.

So when your max HR drops to your min HR; ... game over!
 Padraig 23 Jan 2010
In reply to robdan:

MIguel Indurain "famously" had a HRH of 28!!
Best I could do was 38 for a while when super-fit. It now hovers around 48/50 which is not bad for what I do and my advancing years.
 Padraig 23 Jan 2010
In reply to Padraig:
> (In reply to robdan)
>
> MIguel Indurain - I should have said was a 5 x time Tour De France winner in the 90's
OP robdan 23 Jan 2010
In reply to Padraig: Makes sense, Lance Armstrong's is apparently 32bpm.
 andy 23 Jan 2010
In reply to Padraig: Seem to remember reading that they'd have got the old electric paddles out for Big Mig if they'd seen that heart rate in hospital - but you do wonder what his heart'll look like when they eventually take it out - must be the cardiac equivalent of a body-builder's biceps!
 pdufus 23 Jan 2010
In reply to robdan: My all round metabolism is so fast its frightening. Taken up running recently so hope at least to slow the heart rate down.
 mypyrex 23 Jan 2010
In reply to Padraig:
>my advancing years.

Which is?

Paul Atkinson 23 Jan 2010
In reply to andy:
- but you do wonder what his heart'll look like when they eventually take it out - must be the cardiac equivalent of a body-builder's biceps!

atheletes' hearts are a cardiologist's nightmare - I was involved in screening FA premier league apprentices for cardiac abnormalities at one point and we just had to throw the text book out of the window and start again. It's becoming a subspecialty in its own right with entire conferences dedicated to it

pat m 23 Jan 2010
In reply to Enty:
> (In reply to Pilch)
> [...]
>
> PMSL! If you did all that and got your RHR down to 40 you'd be in the Lance Armstrong category!!
>
> Enty

What do you mean - on drugs?
 bouldery bits 23 Jan 2010
In reply to robdan:

I'm 20 and mines usually around 48-50. :s
 l21bjd 23 Jan 2010
In reply to mypyrex:
> (In reply to robdan) I would have thought that anything in the low forties is getting a bit too low.

I'm not fit, but mine went down to 37, which suprised my gp a bit, although he didn't seem that bothered.

Jon

fishy1 23 Jan 2010
In reply to robdan: Just checked mine, it's 39 approx. I'm not training cardio heavily at the moment, but am fairly fit compared to everyone else I know.

Noticed it felt pretty faint, is this correlated, as it's under very little load when I'm at rest?

And I haven't monitored it actively in training, but I have felt it being big a few times, only one I can really remember is running up the aiguille de midi ridge to catch the last lift and not being very aclimatised and feeling every surge of blood in my arms and neck.

Markwww 23 Jan 2010
I was alway under the understanding the best way to use HR as a fitness measure was to take it up to max and see how long it takes to get back tto normal. could be wrong mind.
 Mooncat 23 Jan 2010
In reply to robdan:

38ish these days for me. Claudio Chiappucci had 2 2nd's and a 3rd place in the TDF had a resting HR in the mid 60's and a max of about 165 which probably goes to show something or other.
 Jim Braid 24 Jan 2010
In reply to robdan: Just over 5 years ago I got my first ever heart monitor for my 60th birthday. Since then my lowest resting heart rate has been 37. I don't train and have never really taken part in competitive sports. What I have done for over 50 years is hill walking, running, cycling and swimming in varying amounts to maintain a basic level of fitness. While elite athletes probably have a low resting heart rate there will be lots of hillwalkers, runners and cyclists around my age who have a low heart rate simply because they've been exercising regularly over a long period.

Does it make a difference? Only that I can still run after and catch my grandchildren!
 simpod 24 Jan 2010
In reply to robdan: i've just done mine and its only 3.....no no its 2 .....arhhhh
OP robdan 24 Jan 2010
In reply to Jim Braid: Well that's one of the best benefits of styaing fit I'd guess
 Rob Naylor 24 Jan 2010
In reply to robdan:

Mine was 56 in April 2008, when I was over 18 stones. Only exercise was climbing and an hour's circuit training once or twice a week.

By October 2008, when I'd lost 3 stones, doing BMF 3-4 times a week, running 2-3 times a week and running 10 mile races, it was down to 44. My BP and cholesterol had fallen rather dramatically, too.
 pizza 24 Jan 2010
In reply to robdan: cant find my pulse i must be dead i better go lay down for half an hour.
I had a medical for work the other day and the Doc was a bit worried as my RHR was 98bpm and my blood pressure was low (can't remember the figure).

It's not normally as bad as that, I put it down to being the morning after 3 days on the hill, a double espresso and being very dehydrated.

I've always had a really high RHR - i'm fairly chilled out just now and it's 72bpm - would maybe be lower first thing in the morning.

Fitness wise - I can keep up with most of my winter climbing partners and half of them have RHR of 50 (ish).

I put it down to doing very little cardio as a youngster.
 probablylost 24 Jan 2010
In reply to robdan: I always take peoples RHRs with a pinch of salt. There's a big difference between true RHR, and the HR you can achieve by slow careful breathing - I can knock 10 BPM off mine by breathing in the right way.
 Gareth Bowen 24 Jan 2010
In reply to robdan: Right now it's 56. I've just had a bath and a green tea. I'd be interested to see what it is in the morning and will take it if I remember before I get up. I always struggle to find my pulse and lose it really easily which is a bit annoying.
moonraker 24 Jan 2010
In reply to robdan:

About 60 bpm sat down reading....My heart rate is 177 bpm whilst running for long periods uphill.
 EZ 24 Jan 2010
In reply to pizza:

Take more than half an hour if you're dead!
Randy Baird 24 Jan 2010
In reply to robdan:

48 bpm. I'm fairly CV fit at the moment.
 Timo Austino 25 Jan 2010
In reply to robdan: when I was a keen youngster lowest ever was 28 after a taper.... Usually 32 - 34 any higher and there was a bug lurking round the corner....

Its all a bit relative anyhow at both ends of the scale - a mate could quite happily jog around and chat whilst knocking out 205 bpm!

Starting to do a bit more running now - thinking of taking more interest in monitoring training gains... Not only for me but Valentina, my german shorthaired pointer. More excited about seeing her wear a polar and the affect hill reps have on her recovery rates - will my sissy training be enough to have any affect on her....she loves them although can't work out why it takes 2 leggers so long to stop gasping!!

Happy dayz

Timo
Anonymous 25 Jan 2010
In reply to robdan:

I think mine has been in the mid to high 50s for a long time but dropped into the low 40s and even down as low as 36 when I wasn't particularly fit - turns out I had hypothyroidism

so if you develop a slower heartbeat without knowing a good reason, check why ..
 Gareth Bowen 25 Jan 2010
In reply to robdan: 46 this morning before I got up. Down 10 from last night.
Sean Toms 25 Jan 2010
In reply to robdan:

Hi Robdan

I am not sure resting heart rates are the best indication of fitness

I'm 46 next month run c25 miles a week , yesterday running a half marathon in 1.47 and with a last September best time on 1.41 ( a week after climbing Mont Blanc again )

In theory I ought to be reasonably fit , but my resting heart rate is c65 , my father age 69 and reasonably active had a resting heart rate of low 50's but he then had a triple heart bypass after a routine check up !

Performance training like running Fartlek's ( speed work alternated with distance ) improves your speed but I don't know if it lowers your resting pulse.

One thing is for losing weight and taking up running has certainly helped in the Alps whatever mt rubbish resting pulse rate is.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...