UKC

Coaching from a Top end Climber

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
I climb with a group of five other people, and thought it would be interesting to get an indoor and outdoor coaching session from a top end climber.
I remember reading a few years that Johnny Dawes used to do Coaching, and was hoping to find out if he still does. If not could anyone recommend the most high profile climber who would be available sometime this year in the North of England. There are men and women in our group of varying abilities and experience, and think it would be a good experience.
 Alex Buisse 25 Jan 2010
In reply to Carlos the Jackal:

I know Dave McLeod does personal coaching, though not sure about his location. Doesn't get much more "top end" than him in the UK.
 Tall Clare 25 Jan 2010

Adrian Berry coaches around the north of England, and friends who've had coaching from him said it was a positive experience.
 Robo 25 Jan 2010

I think Johnny still does a bit of coaching, and you will definately have an 'experience', although not necessarily one you'll understand. If you're open minded they are good fun. Don't expect him to give you training regimes or to teach you how to do an egyptian though. I loved the one he did for my climbing club, a few years ago, but some folk there didn't get it at all.

I imagine a course with Dave MacLeod would be superb, as he obviously has a great understanding of the physical, technical and mental challenges of climbing, and the confidence and personality to communicate this.
 ksjs 25 Jan 2010
In reply to Tall Clare: Adrian Berry might be the man: he's got some very impressive customer testaments on his site: http://www.positiveclimbing.com/climbing_coaching/climbing_coaching.html

also, check out his bio, not too shabby either!
 Fraser 25 Jan 2010
In reply to ksjs:

I know guys who've been with both AB and DM; their pref was definitely for Dave Mac.
Bahhhhumbug 25 Jan 2010

I think you'll find most top climbers will do coaching sessions, Neil Gresham, Adrian Berry, Johnny Dawes, Steve Mclure , John & Anne Arran all definitely do sessions and Dave mac as above. John Dunne used to & probably still does (although I'm not sure on that one).

Yup Dave Macleod offers coaching at the Ice Factor in Kinlochleven. My session is booked for end of Feb, can't wait!
 Monk 25 Jan 2010

As has been stated, loads of people do coaching. However a session with Johnny Dawes could be amazing and nothing like what any of the others would do. I've not done one of his classes, but used to see him around a lot when I lived in Sheffield. I used to see him give masterclasses where he guaranteed you would climb 2 grades harder in that session (or something like that). He focuses on movement in a completely unorthodox way (just look at how he moves in any films he's in). Very unusual, but if you 'get' him, I think it could be fantastic.
lanky_suction1 25 Jan 2010

Andy Earl is based in Newcastle but will travel around. He has a personal training/ sports coaching background as well as being a great climber so I found his sessions were really great. He was hugely encouraging as well as being really specific about ways of improving.

jkarran 25 Jan 2010

> ...If not could anyone recommend the most high profile climber who would be available sometime this year in the North of England. There are men and women in our group of varying abilities and experience, and think it would be a good experience.

Surely if what you want is coaching you want someone that excels at coaching rather than grabbing headlines. The best coach isn't necessarily going to be someone you frequently see in the mags. Just a thought.

jk
 Tiberius 25 Jan 2010
In reply to jkarran:
> Surely if what you want is coaching you want someone that excels at coaching...

I'd 2nd this, in any field the top performers are often not the best coaches, it's a different skill. Depends what you're after I guess. Top coaching or a day with a top climber.
 Dave Reeve 25 Jan 2010
In reply to Carlos the Jackal: We've had Neil Gresham and Johnny Dawes give coaching sessions at our local wall, Neil about 2 years ago & Johhny about 5 years ago. Who to choose depends on what you want..

We found that Neil had the more structured approach and was probably better for people without huge amounts of climbing experience, in that he can pass on techniques about training and climbing etc that would otherwise take years to accrue. I think that because I had been climbing for a number of years prior to his coaching session I had already worked out (or found out the hard way) an appreciable part of what he said. Nonetheless, I did get value from the session and he is a very nice and modest bloke.

Johnny's coaching was less structured and was very much about movement and visualizing how you would need to transition from one hard move to another, more cerebral based than practical based and in my opinion better suited for more experienced climbers..

A couple of my climbing partners have had very recent sessions with Dave McLeod and were very enthusiastic about those. A predominant theme for one of them was to practice falling indoors more when leading to improve her leading head and that has certainly seemed to bear fruit. They also found him to be a very nice modest bloke.

I think the main thing is to think about what you want from the coaching and then discuss it with your coaching shortlist so that you get what you want..
 Mark Stevenson 26 Jan 2010
In reply to Carlos the Jackal: Speaking as someone who does a bit of professional coaching:

Having a group with a mix of abilities is not ideal.
Outdoor coaching other than bouldering doesn't really work well with groups and certainly not for a single session.
Coaching is far more effective on an ongoing basis.
Some 'top end climbers' aren't amazing coaches but they are very successful at covering a few keys basics which is all that is needed for a single session.

Knowing a lot of people who do this, Neil Gresham is easily the best all-round climbing coach in the UK currently. However if you want a bit of inspiration and some good advice there a plenty of great climbers who will give you an interesting and informative few hours of their time.

Your other option is take a few sociable trips to some climbing lectures/talks for inspiration and find one of the top local instructors to do some coaching and training with you on an ongoing basis.
 Solcambs 17 Feb 2010

I have spent my hard earned with Adrian Berry (twice), and could vouch for a great experience with him. He'll focus on a positive attitude to your climbing.

If you are interested I blogged both days at:

http://web.me.com/solcambs/Personal/Climbing/Climbing.html

Can't speak to other top climbers coaching other climbers - but a good climber does not guarantee a good coach!
 David Coley 18 Feb 2010

I have also found Adrian Berry excellent.
 Eagle River 18 Feb 2010

Another shout for Adrian Berry.
 omerta 18 Feb 2010

Johnny Dawes is sport climbing in Aix en Provence until March 24th and is inviting people to contact him if they want him to coach them, either there or back in the UK when he's back. Try johnny@johnnydawes.com
 Ian65 18 Feb 2010
In reply to Carlos the Jackal: Add my name to the Adrian Berry fan club. I had an excellent day with him about a year ago and I still bring some of his comments to mind as I work at my climbing. A good day with a good guy.
 staceyjg 18 Feb 2010

I also can vouch for Adrian Berry, spent a day with Adrian and managed to up my climbing grade. Have also done an indoor coaching session with Neil Gresham and found him to be just as good. Both were focussed on different aspects of climbing, Neil was indoor climbing and Adrian Berry was trad. Take your pick, or have both.
 Hannes 18 Feb 2010
In reply to Carlos the Jackal: I've never bought the services off either johnny or adrian but rather happened to socially climb with them. Both experiences were great and they are both good guys and teachers and I can't see how you can go wrong with either of them.
 Yanis Nayu 18 Feb 2010
In reply to Ian65:
> (In reply to Carlos the Jackal) Add my name to the Adrian Berry fan club. I had an excellent day with him about a year ago and I still bring some of his comments to mind as I work at my climbing. A good day with a good guy.

Ditto.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...