UKC

Climbers Club carpark in Llanberis Pass

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Last year when in Wales, I parked in the car park area, as there was zero parking at the side of the road. I was nervous about it but had encouragement so went in. Over the course of the day the guy I was with told anyone who'd listen where we were parked. Each person informed was actually in the CC and didn't take too kindly to the info. I was nervous of having my car clamped throughout the day which made it a bit shit to be honest.

My questions are, can your car be clamped and is it really taboo to park there? Or do people take advantage of the space when there is no parking anywhere else? Got a trip planned soon and don't want to piss off other climbers or get clamped.

Andy Hardy 09 Feb 2010
In reply to Manos de Piedra:

How did you get in without a key? There always used to be a padlocked barrier just before the bridge.

If you're that keen to park there, why not join the CC?
In reply to 999thAndy: Im not keen to park there, I thought my post above would have made that clear.

Don't you have to know someone who proposes your membership? If not can you let me know how I go about joining?
 Rampikino 09 Feb 2010
Google the Climbers Club website - they have guidelines on membership, how to join and how to go on meets etc.
J1234 09 Feb 2010
>
>
> Got a trip planned soon and don't want to piss off other climbers or get clamped.

Well don`t park were you shouldn`t then and if you want some where to park haul your ass out of bed a bit earlier.
In reply to J1234: Have I pissed you off by posting? Seems so.
 Andy Hardy 09 Feb 2010
Your post didn't make clear *how* you got in though...

As for joining the CC, this should help you on your way http://www.climbers-club.co.uk/about-apply.html

They run aspirants meets so you can meet CC members - I went on one and it was ace. When I joined you needed a proposer, seconder and 4 letters of support, I don't know if that's still the case.
In reply to Manos de Piedra: Its a genuine question, please try not to get upset when posting replies like that monkey bedspring above.
In reply to 999thAndy: what has that to do with being keen?

I drove in, the barrier was up all day.

Please don't anyone be so daft as to suggest I broke in. I get that this is a sensitive subject so will just say:

I won't park there in future unless I am a member.

Thanks All.
J1234 09 Feb 2010
> (In reply to bedspring) Have I pissed you off by posting?

No but your selfish attitude has. You can`t find somewhere to park so your attitude is oh stuff it i`ll park in someone elses place and if they cannot find a parking place, tough, it is such a selfish attitude, and all you can think is you had a shit day
 Andy Hardy 09 Feb 2010
> (In reply to 999thAndy) what has that to do with being keen?
>
I was just trying to drum up new membership. We're like the Jehova's witnesses, without the uncapped commission.

What would you have done if you had got down late to find the barrier down and locked?
In reply to J1234: Firstly, you are a complete knob.

Second, I climbed on Carreg Wasted and could see my car all day. There was loads of space in there so your hypothesis is rejected.

I felt bad about it and my partner on the day would testify to this. It was my first trip down there so really did not know about CC till my partner said about it. Obviously being the driver it was my choice so my mistake parking there and from the posts I realise it is not on.

Please, wipe away your tears and get on with your day now.
In reply to 999thAndy: I don't know, I was with an experienced climber on my first trip climbing outside Scotland. We drove along the pass a couple of times and my partner started to get a bit upset, moaning about parking. I was f*ckin shattered as had not got to sleep till four am as there were some very noisey Russians next to me in the campsite. Hence I wasn't up till 8.30. He harped on a bit and said it would be fine to use that carpark. When we were walking away from the car he told me about the CC. I was a bit pissed off but just went with it as there was no other option and I was not keen to have a bust up about it with my partner as we had drove down from Scotland the night before.

Yes, it was wrong, I can see it upsets people and won't do again, as I stated earlier.

Will look into joining, thanks for the advice.
 metal arms 09 Feb 2010
In reply to J1234:

Did someone park in your space this morning?
 Andy Hardy 09 Feb 2010
Joining is not that hard. The basic requirement is that yiou can show you're keen and competent (i.e. lead VS).

I would have been upset if you had had to break your way out of Ynys Ettws because the members would be left to repair the damage.

Bedspring is not, by any means, a knob. Though we haven't met he did sort me out with a climbing partner at very short notice last year, and was very helpful to me.
J1234 09 Feb 2010
In reply to metal arms: Yes, it was a mini, but as I am a tank commander,I just parked on top of it
 Banned User 77 09 Feb 2010
In reply to metal arms: TBf parking in the pass is an arse, a real issue. I can see why people get annoyed, especially in the summer.
In reply to 999thAndy: Must apologise, I missed your question asking how I got in. The barrier was up all day and I made sure that we left early.

Coel Hellier 09 Feb 2010
In reply to IainRUK:

> TBf parking in the pass is an arse, a real issue.

Isn't the basic problem that the sherpa bus from Nant Peris stops in the laybys in the Pass, so Snowdon-bound walkers often park there to catch the bus to the top of the pass. If the bus didn't stop there, they'd then park in Nant Peris, and the problem would be alleviated.
In reply to Coel Hellier: Part of it. No idea why park there. They should at leats make it cheaper to bus from Nant than from the may bys or something.

But also people just take the fines and park on the roads. 5 in a car, £25 fine or whatever, £5 each. I think many just think sod it, its worth the hit, they drive from Birmingham, food, petrol, another £5 each for parking probably isn't an issue. Sometimes you'll see 10-20 cars parked illegally at the top of the hill.
In reply to IainRUK: "Parking in the Pass is an arse, a real issue".
Aye, it's a really shitty designed valley - nobody ever thought about cars. If the political will was there, along with a bucketful of cash, they could soon put a ten storey car park somewhere on the flat bits. Then it'd be just like home in the city.
 Rampikino 09 Feb 2010
There's a few massive rocks in that valley that could do with some shifting - that would clear up some space for more parking.
In reply to unclesamsauntibess: Erm I live in the pass...so yes I think it's an issue thanks..

In reply to Rampikino:
> There's a few massive rocks in that valley that could do with some shifting - that would clear up some space for more parking.

very very nearly happened.
 Rampikino 09 Feb 2010
In reply to IainRUK:

So I understand!
Removed User 09 Feb 2010
In reply to IainRUK: Any particular reason you picked on Birmingham?
 sutty 09 Feb 2010
In reply to IainRUK:

Those massive rocks were placed there to stop parking though weren't they? Used to be lots of parking at Cromlech Bridge and near the boulders, along with other smaller spots. Even the small lay by just up from the Cromlech bridge got closed off, supposedly for road safety.
Removed User 09 Feb 2010
In reply to IainRUK: I used to be able to cycle up and leave bike chained up to tree/rock/fence/post but owing to the fact that it got pinched the last time I am a bit reluctant now.if a secure cycle area was put somewhere even possibly on the lines of loan centres at llanbarris would this not go some way to alleviate the problem.You can park at a rough guess 6 bikes in the space of one car. Not everyones cup of tea I realise but if it eases the problem then it should be worth a go.
In reply to Removed User: Don't like brummies!
In reply to sutty: I think one just up from Cromlech bridge was still open. But yes they wanted to stop parking in the pass outside of the main areas. The issue is the buses though.
 jon 09 Feb 2010
In reply to Removed User:
> (In reply to Removed UserIainRUK) You can park at a rough guess 6 bikes in the space of one car.

You can get six people in one car...
In reply to Rampikino: The story is here for those who don't know:

http://www.snowdonia-active.com/features.asp?featureid=229
Removed User 09 Feb 2010
In reply to IainRUK: One has to ask why unless of course you managed to escape from there
In reply to Removed User: I nearly lived there. Went for a PhD interview and phoned up and said, look I don't want to sound like a hillbilly but I could never live in Birmingham.

Nout against the place really, but most of our tourists will come from the Birmingham or Manchester areas, so 50-50 picked Birmingham as an example.
Removed User 09 Feb 2010
In reply to jon: Bike more manouverable than car therefore more dense parking possible therefore more people per given area of parking possible ......or something like that.I knopw its not everyones cup of tea as I said but when I cycle to work every day and see one person per car it sort of brings home the madness of a lot of car journeys.Yes we do have a car and shock horror its a 4x4 but we have a need(location ,wifes job,livestock to move about)I like to think that by using my legs whenever I can I slightly mitigate our use of a car.
 Stig 09 Feb 2010
In reply to IainRUK: No way! They created Jerry's Roof????
 jon 09 Feb 2010

It was said in jest...
 Mark Stevenson 09 Feb 2010
In reply to Manos de Piedra: I'm not in the CC Committee so this is just a personal view.

The land is private property - the same as your or anyone else's house, garden or driveway. I can assume you'd get rather annoyed if your neighbours parked on your driveway without asking, therefore the same applies here. It's bad manners, and as with annoying a neighbour they'll probably think you're a prat, give you some harsh words but won't be in a position to clamp you.

However, as with the hypothetical situation of someone parking on your driveway there is big difference between someone doing that all the time meaning you can't park your own car and them doing it once when there is loads of space and it doesn't interfere. In your case it's just a mild case of bad manners rather than causing a major nuisance. Unfortunately it doesn't take much to go from one person parking there to having twenty cars.

However, in this case I'd say that it's mainly the CC's fault for not replacing the electronic lock on the barrier after it broke ages ago. If we fixed that then this just wouldn't be an issue. We'd have to be extremely naive to think that a sign and an unlocked barrier is going to stop anyone from parking there indefinitely given the possible alternative of them having to park over a mile away.

Therefore, don't be surprised if you try and drive in to find the barrier locked again in the near future.
Removed User 09 Feb 2010
In reply to jon: Taken as such no probs.I used to play golf with a proffessor of transport and he had some great ideas but the problem was getting any council to use them.Public apathy probably the top reason he used to say.Unless "we" do something instead of expecting "them" to sort it out for us we will still be having this conversation in years to come.
I still think the best bet is to sell it to people as the "healthy option" however after my last trip to a supermarket I think the healthy option is a bit of a lost cause.
In reply to Mark Stevenson: I'll repeat again.

"Yes, it was wrong, I can see it upsets people and won't do it again, as I stated earlier"

thanks for your thoughts though.
 jobertalot 09 Feb 2010
I used to play golf with a proffessor of transport

What a thrilling way to spend a few hours!

When are you next playing, can I come?
 EeeByGum 09 Feb 2010
In reply to IainRUK:

> But also people just take the fines and park on the roads.

I wouldn't agree with this. It is not that clear that parking is not allowed outside the parking bays. You basically pass a "Freeway" sign at each end of the pass. However if you arrive at the pass and see people parked on the side of the road, human psychology dictates that is must be ok and because there are no yellow lines or explicit signs saying otherwise you go for it.

Got done myself there. Really peed off I was too. If they haven't improved the signage, one can only assume it is a nice little money earner for the council in the summer months.
In reply to EeeByGum:
> (In reply to IainRUK)
>
> [...]
>
> I wouldn't agree with this. It is not that clear that parking is not allowed outside the parking bays. You basically pass a "Freeway" sign at each end of the pass. because there are no yellow lines or explicit signs saying otherwise you go for it.
>

I'm fairly sure there are yellow lines at the crest of the hill:
http://www.greatorme.org.uk/P4121151A.JPG
In reply to IainRUK:
> (In reply to unclesamsauntibess) Erm I live in the pass...so yes I think it's an issue thanks..

erm..... I was only joking! I've been climbing there longer than you've been alive. I know about issues, trust me. CHILL.
 Mike Raine 09 Feb 2010

BMC Cymru/Wales has asked Green Key if they would consider asking the buses not to stop at the lay-bys in the mornings to encourage people to use the large car parks in Nant Peris and Llanberis. They said it would too difficult to organise. The whole Green Key scam is a bit of a farce really as most people drive up the Pass to see if they can get in at Pen y Pass, when they can't they drive down the Pass, spot the lay-bys and bus stops signs and park there making it difficult to start your day from the lay-bys. There isn't an easy answer I'm afraid, except of course use the Bus (which needs better signage in Llanberis, Bethesda and Betws and is often full anyway - or completely empty depending on time of day). It's a story that has got a long way to run, joining the CC is definitely the answer for climbers, but there are boulderers, walkers and scramblers who's like to start their day from Pont y Cromlech too.
 jon 09 Feb 2010
In reply to Mike Raine:
> (In reply to Manos de Piedra)
>
, joining the CC is definitely the answer for climbers,

"I want to join the CC because......."

Not sure the CC would see the possibility of having a parking place as a good reason to accept new members though Mike...!
In reply to jon: I would have to agree. Thankfully that would not be my only reason, anyway the joining process will take care of keeping out unsavoury, parking thieves like myself. It'll be a while before I'm experienced enough.
In reply to Mike Raine: Thanks for the reply.

I was down again a few weeks later and got parked next to cromlech boulders no probs, though it was midweek in November.

I really didn't ask my OP with the strong intent to park there. I just arranged a trip today, was musng on the initial trip and remembered the parking issue (my being in the carpark) as being the key feature of the day for me. I then posted my thoughts and here we are.

Thanks again to all who took the time to reply.
In reply to Mike Raine: Tough one. For us I think its one of biggest issues in the pass.

The thing (as you say) is many walks and scrambles do start from that location, so the parking shouldn't be restricted to the climbers and boulderers.

Not stopping is a good option, but then people may want to do point to point walks, bus to the pass, up Crib Goch down Cyrn Las sort of routes.

It'll be interesting to see how much the new path gets used and how much further it gets extended to. One section won't make a difference but a PyP to Nant would. Are any further extensions in the pipeline?

There will be a fatality on this road yet, I almost always pick up hitchers just because I'm so worried when I see people on that road, especially at dusk or in the dark. A few times I've almost passed walkers before I've seen them.
 Mike Raine 09 Feb 2010
In reply to jon:

The CC is wonderful
 Mike Raine 09 Feb 2010
In reply to IainRUK:

I know I've had several near misses particularly between PyG and PyP but also entering NP (through which I shall now be travelling at 50 mph instead of 35mph cos I've paid for it!!)

Will you make the next meeting?

In reply to Mike Raine: No, I'm off to the states this weekend. I think Sarah will because of the free pizza..great idea.
 jon 10 Feb 2010
In reply to Mike Raine:
> (In reply to jon)
>
> The CC is wonderful

I know, but not stupid!

I still retain my membership even though I haven't used any of their facilities for over 25 years. I see it as an investment - who else will produce completely definitive guides and record all that history if the CC don't. Competition in the form of other superbly produced guides is threatening that (I should say I'm a proud owner of NW Rock and CC guides alike). They need money to do it. Maybe they should make part of their parking available and charge for it..... Do you think that could be a can of worms I hear opening?
 Mike Raine 10 Feb 2010
In reply to jon:

yes!
 Mike Raine 10 Feb 2010
In reply to Mike Raine

But how much would a parking space in the Pass be worth!?
 jon 10 Feb 2010
In reply to Mike Raine:

Seems like it'd be worth quite a lot having read the thread. The barrier would open after payment - like a car park, in fact.
 John2 10 Feb 2010
In reply to jon: So who would be employed to collect the money? I take it you're not volunteering?
 jon 10 Feb 2010
In reply to John2:

Mike obviously.
 Al Evans 10 Feb 2010
In reply to jon:
> (In reply to Mike Raine)
>
> Seems like it'd be worth quite a lot having read the thread. The barrier would open after payment - like a car park, in fact.

The problem being that it would be so popular, CC members staying at the hut would not be able to park on their own property!
 jon 10 Feb 2010
In reply to Al Evans:

Yes, swings and roundabouts!
 Mark Stevenson 10 Feb 2010
In reply to Mike Raine:
> But how much would a parking space in the Pass be worth!?

Well, it seems like it will be £10 per day at PyP from 2011 according to http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/north_west/8507800.stm
 Bulls Crack 10 Feb 2010

The solutions seems simple - get up earlier as some have said, go somewhere less crowded and have possibly a better time, or.......walk or catch the bus - it's not that far from the the car-park near the Vaynol!
In reply to Bulls Crack: Thanks, I thnk it's all been said now though.

I think folk must still be reading my first post. Please take the time to read further down the thread.

Circumstances caused the transgression, I won't be back in that car park/ campsite till I am a member, however long that takes.
 Banned User 77 10 Feb 2010
In reply to Mike Raine: Mike, one thing that would be good to know about is what is going on with this path, the new wooden walkway?

It's rather an odd section at the moment. Is it part of a larger path or was a few grand left over at the end of the financial year?

If you can find out by the meeting I think many would be interested. No idea who's initiative it was; council or NPA.
In reply to IainRUK: Perhaps you should start a new thread.
 Iain Peters 10 Feb 2010
In reply to Mark Stevenson:

Joining the CC gives you free parking 24/7 at 8 prime locations across the UK. For your £40 odd per annum, you also get comfortable lodgings/camping facilities at at a very reduced rate, club membership of the BMC and the opportunity to meet up with fellow members either for an impromptu weekend in Wales or as far afield as The States, Australia and Europe. All this plus a discount on most guidebooks. Not a bad deal in my book.
 Duncan Bourne 10 Feb 2010
That wasn't the weekend of a meet was it? If so the car park was probably in use for most of the day with members coming and going. Which is why the barrier was probably up. You may not get clamped but you could return to your car to find the barrier down and the car locked in.

I'm not saying it's ok for anyone to park at the CC hut but to be honest, before I joined the club, I might well have done the same thing if I thought I could get away with it.

I think the hostile response you have had from some people is OTT. It's not like you sha**ed one of the club sheep that graze the field is it? The CC ought to be a place where minor miscreants can find a home. I hope you do decide to join.

Cheers

Colin
In reply to colin struthers: I didn't want to mention the sheep. Did she kiss and tell.
In reply to Manos de Piedra: Yes. Best not to include this on your club application form.
In reply to colin struthers: Ah, they are also reserved for members? Thanks for the tip, and the kind words.

Cheers.
 robw007 11 Feb 2010
This thread has had over 2000 views. Its about parking and basically access. Obviously this is a big issue - are there any plans for a collaborative approach to car acces in the valley? BMC/Local Council/Bus companies/land owners type of thing?
 Iain Peters 11 Feb 2010
In reply to robw007:
`it could be that popular areas like the Pass or Langdale have reached their capacity in terms of numbers of visitors at busy times. Accommodating more people/cars would have a knock-on effect due to increased erosion etc. In the States they control the numbers entering many of their popular parks. In effect that is the present situation by proxy in the Pass.

From the climbing point of view if the weather's right and you've driven hundreds of miles for a specific crag/climb only to find you can't park up anywhere it's got to be bad news. Perhaps where guidebooks could help would be giving more prominence to lesser known crags where equally great climbing can be found across the grades. Amazon do this in another context by suggesting "people who have bought this product have also...." Perhaps a database of alternative routes of similar style to the overcrowded classics might work and spread the load?
 GrahamD 11 Feb 2010
In reply to Iain Peters:

Can you suggest an alternative Left Wall, or Cemetry Gates, or ...

I think the key, though, is 'busy times'. If a route really is that important to you - you can always get to parking places before the crowds.
 kevin stephens 11 Feb 2010
In reply to robw007:
> (In reply to Manos de Piedra)
> This thread has had over 2000 views. Its about parking and basically access. Obviously this is a big issue - are there any plans for a collaborative approach to car acces in the valley? BMC/Local Council/Bus companies/land owners type of thing?

Like a shuttle bus from a car park in Nant Perris?

Oh hang on, it already exists.............
So what's the point in this thread?
In reply to kevin stephens: Thanks for the info on the shuttle bus, I'll check it out next time I'm down.

In answer to your question re the point of the thread, I just asked the question, Ive explained myself enough throughout the thread.

I've no interest in the side discussions going on throughout the thread. I suggested the local folks start a new one. I've been given some good advice and intend following it.

I hope that's point enough for you.
 sutty 11 Feb 2010

Hey, get of the thread. You started it but now it has gone on to transport in Snowdonia, and will probably rumble on for another 40 postings if previous threads are anything to go by.

Sorry, nothing to do with your posting now, move along.
In reply to sutty: Im shuffling off to bed now.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...