/ OI NEWS: The Outdoors Show starring Joe Simpson and Leo

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
[Leo Houlding, 3 kb]For the first time since the release of the film Touching the Void, Joe Simpson will speak publicly at The Outdoors Show about his epic struggle for survival in the Peruvian Andes, which has since entered mountaineering legend.

Also in the line-up is top climber, Leo Houlding, who will speak about making the awe-inspiring ascent of Mount Asgard’s north face.

PLUS A TICKET DEAL for UKClimbing.com

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/news.php?id=2491

portlandclimber - on 15 Feb 2010
In reply to UKC Gear: agree with the awe inspiring bit, and don't mean to sound like a pedant/taking anything away from what they achieved on Baffin island. But they didnt make the first free ascent of mount asgard. i also noticed this on their outdoors show advert.

or did i watch a different asgard project.
stewieatb on 15 Feb 2010
In reply to portlandclimber: From Leo, Climber mag, 12/09:

'The harsh conditions and incredibly steep and blank nature of the rock only allowed us to free half the route'. Even having the manliest man in Britain on board wouldn't have got the team out alive if they'd stayed long enough to free the whole tower. Too hard, too cold, and too late in the season.
portlandclimber - on 15 Feb 2010
In reply to stewieatb: sorry missing your point there. heres what i meant in a slightly more direct manner: IS THIS NOT FALSE ADVERTISING?
stewieatb on 15 Feb 2010
In reply to portlandclimber: Sorry, yes, I agree with you. Just wanted to put up the quote really. It's false advertising.
portlandclimber - on 15 Feb 2010
In reply to stewieatb: This makes the ukc look a bit silly. and the outdoors show look even worse. this is quite a big mistake to make.
Blue Straggler - on 15 Feb 2010
In reply to portlandclimber:
> (In reply to stewieatb) This makes the ukc look a bit silly. and the outdoors show look even worse. this is quite a big mistake to make.

Agreed and I started a thread about it last night.
I like to think that Leo Houlding and the team, would be in agreement with us too.
Blue Straggler - on 15 Feb 2010
In reply to portlandclimber:

btw this thread IS an Outdoors Show advert - the "OI NEWS" bit (OI = Outdoors Industry) indicates that it's a kind of advertorial
Erstwhile on 15 Feb 2010
In reply to UKC Gear:
> For the first time since the release of the film Touching the Void, Joe Simpson will speak publicly at The Outdoors Show about his epic struggle for survival in the Peruvian Andes,

I thought he had spoken ad nauseam about exactly that experience ever since it happened (he told me this himself - not because he wants to but because people keep on and on asking him!)

portlandclimber - on 15 Feb 2010
In reply to Blue Straggler: im aware of this, however the ukc retains editorial responsability over banner adverts, don't they? if they dont this may make them start!
The Outdoors Show on 17 Feb 2010 - 212.85.11.180 whois?
The Outdoors Show would like to thank everyone who has commented on the details of the Asgard Project, and we would like to apologise for any error on our part. Our understanding was that this was the first free ascent of the north face of Mt Asgard, however we have spoken to Alastair Lee, the filmaker who has confirmed that, while the climbers did climb Mount Asgard’s north face and jumped from the top in wingsuits in very testing conditions, it may not be technically classed as the first free ascent.

We apologise for any unintentional confusion caused, and we have amended our promotional materials for the show accordingly.
Blue Straggler - on 17 Feb 2010
In reply to The Outdoors Show:

Thank you, The Outdoors Show.
Now I wonder if the first post in this thread can be amended accordingly, too.
portlandclimber - on 17 Feb 2010
In reply to Blue Straggler: certainly can- thanks for clearing up that one. and i will be coming as usual to the show.
Blue Straggler - on 17 Feb 2010
In reply to Blue Straggler:
> (In reply to The Outdoors Show)
>
> Now I wonder if the first post in this thread can be amended accordingly, too.

Well done!

Michael Ryan - on 17 Feb 2010
In reply to Blue Straggler:
> (In reply to Blue Straggler)
> [...]
>
> Well done!

Do I get a doggy biscuit?

Mick "woof" Ryan
portlandclimber - on 17 Feb 2010
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: no
ads.ukclimbing.com
Julie Z - on 22 Mar 2010
In reply to portlandclimber: Glad to hear it - me too.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.