UKC

Safe Grade 2. Great End or Scafell tomorrow??

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Superchop75 26 Feb 2010
Good safe Grade 2 solo wanted please on Great End after Skew Gill approach??
 Dave Ferguson 26 Feb 2010
In reply to hopskin316:
no such thing, I'm afraid
you solo in winter even at grade 2, you assess the risks on the day
OP Superchop75 26 Feb 2010
In reply to Dave Ferguson: Cust's Gully?
 Andy Can 26 Feb 2010
In reply to hopskin316: That's grade 1...

Anything on Greatend be aware of the avalanche potential such as up central gully. if it goes, you're gone for good... and it's been snowing a lot today.
OP Superchop75 26 Feb 2010
In reply to Big Andy: Sorry guys. Thats my mate getting excited. He won't be going anywhere near a gully tomorrow!

Apologies,

Chris
 callwild 28 Feb 2010
In reply to hopskin316:
I have soloed Central Gully on Great End more time than I can remember BUT NOT in these conditions.
I was up there last Monday (when there was an avalanche on St Sunday Crag) and it was with trepidation that we went anywhere near the gully. On the approach it was obvious the fresh snow in the gully had already slid so we had a further look. Previous steps in the old snow had helped consolidate it a bit. Above the ice pitch again fresh snow had slid off the base and postholed old tracks were evident, However inspecting the snow pack did show evedence of weaker layers and parts made a hollow sound when kicking in. I was extremely glad to be belayed and placed several rock runners in the final pitches.
It was not a place to be soloing and we even used double ropes so in any event of us supecting it was getting too dangerous we could exit by abseil quickly.
Take care everywhere at the moment. No one can advise any routes as it can only be personal judgment of conditions at the time on the ground that can dictate where you go.
ropeup68 28 Feb 2010
In reply to hopskin316: Surely all gullies will be avalanche prone at the moment incliding easy grade ones like Custs .

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...