UKC

What would you regard as a bombproof anchor?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
thepeaks 30 Mar 2010
Following a recent thread about abseiling accidents there was some debate about this.
Personally, if abseiling on a UK crag, the only thing I wouldn`t back up is a fckng big tree that didn`t move when pushed.
The reasons are firstly that abseiling is virtually the only time that the belays are guaranteed to be loaded, secondly it reduces the forces on the anchors if equalised, thirdly I am a coward and don`t see the point in not spending a couple more minutes setting stuff up.
No I don`t wear 2 pairs of trousers etc.
 wilkie14c 30 Mar 2010
In reply to thepeaks:
The monument atop Birchen is pretty solid.
 JSA 30 Mar 2010
In reply to thepeaks:

Does a JCB count? ;O)
thepeaks 30 Mar 2010
In reply to blanchie14c: ... or the monument at Birchen!
 wilkie14c 30 Mar 2010
In reply to thepeaks:

The rule of 9 -
http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=401244&v=1#x5762198
my post at 20.49. Common sense req as its only a guide, you wouldn't equalise 3 trees for example but for rock anchors I find it works well.
 wilkie14c 30 Mar 2010
In reply to blanchie14c:
1) piss poor 'head' protection only, wouldn't hold a mouse, in fact the quickdraw clipped to it is straining it!
2) not death but not good either, should be okay if loaded from a defined direction.
3) again, not the best but okay, cam in a flared crack say, sideways nut not making full contact
4) pretty bomber hex or big nut, those cracks that seem made for a nut, place and forget, you know deep down its solid
5) number 11 hex or similar in a placement that its impossible to lift from, threaded between huge blocks etc
Trees are solid and don't need grading but saplings are rather ropey!
hope it helps
 Yanis Nayu 30 Mar 2010
In reply to thepeaks: One that survive a bomb blast.
thepeaks 30 Mar 2010
In reply to wayno265: What megatonnage force?
 ShaunD 30 Mar 2010
In reply to thepeaks: climbing safe aint cowerdly, climing unsafe for hero points, is for t**t*. Why take the chance that 20 ton rock thread aint finely balenced. ie a rocking stone. a minute of your time (pumped recovery) to live to climb again.
 Mike Stretford 30 Mar 2010
In reply to blanchie14c: You missed a cat. between 3 & 4. Well placed cam or medium nut.
 Yanis Nayu 30 Mar 2010
In reply to thepeaks:
> (In reply to wayno265) What megatonnage force?

3, and that's definitive.
 petestack 30 Mar 2010
In reply to thepeaks:
> Following a recent thread about abseiling accidents there was some debate about this.

So what would I regard as a bombproof anchor?

One that's more than strong/reliable enough for the job it's doing and meets with my approval without necessarily needing to be discussed/approved/attacked ad nauseam through an infinite number of new topics and posts on UKC...

Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 30 Mar 2010
In reply to thepeaks:

Bomber: a tree, a big boulder, a solid chockstone, a bomber nut, a bomber cam, a concrete fencepost, a wooden fencepost, a angle-iron stake, park bench, car.

Less than bomber (I have used all of the above and all of these too): two rock ones (hanging stance!), elderberry shrubs, gorse bush roots, a cairn, rabbit burrow thread, dry-stone wall thread, tied off grass tufts, bum in a hollow.

Chris
thepeaks 30 Mar 2010
In reply to petestack: UKC discussion forums you mean. Contribution isn`t mandatory.
 Bulls Crack 30 Mar 2010
In reply to Chris Craggs:

A large punter?
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 30 Mar 2010
In reply to Bulls Crack:

You jest - I have asked people to stand on the rope when the belay has been naff one more than one occasion!

Chris
 petestack 30 Mar 2010
In reply to thepeaks:
> (In reply to petestack) UKC discussion forums you mean.

And actually thought of saying in case someone had to start splitting hairs when it's still on UKC with the Forums being part of UKC! But, yes, I know what I meant and you know what I meant, so why am I bothering to reply?
thepeaks 30 Mar 2010
In reply to petestack: "so why am I bothering to reply? "

Taking part in a discussion on a discussion forum?
 Col Allott 30 Mar 2010
In reply to thepeaks:
Palm trees seem to do pretty well in nuclear explosions (according to hollywood)
thepeaks 30 Mar 2010
In reply to Col Allott: would they pass wayno 365s 3 megatonne test?
 Ally Baba 30 Mar 2010
In reply to thepeaks: A nice big juicy BOLT!
 jkarran 30 Mar 2010
In reply to thepeaks:

For abbing:

>4" living tree
>3" tree root thread
>2" smooth stone thread showing no cracks (not a boulder pinch)
Partially buried immobile boulder with no sharp edges or pinches
Good un-cracked spike, same caveats as for boulder
Fence (condition and construction dependant)
Various variations on those

Also acceptable but ideally backed up to begin with at least:
Mate sat in a significant hollow
Good stake
Smaller threads/spikes (still no sharps)
Some scrawnier plants
Good nut/hex/cam
Good glue-in
Good non-spinning stainless bolt

jk
 Lankyman 31 Mar 2010
In reply to thepeaks: this is a bomb-proof anchor http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1160737 (unless it's the Ark the German's got in WW2)
 Jimbo C 31 Mar 2010
In reply to thepeaks:

The coffin rule:

If the block you're slinging isn't at least as big as a coffin, you might end up in one

Ok, that's not definitive, but I like it.

Otherwise, a mature tree, decent thread between large touching blocks, solid spike, good size 11 hex or rock 4 (rock 4 is always bomber)
 Reach>Talent 31 Mar 2010
In reply to blanchie14c:
Where do these come in your list?

A skyhook over a fairly good flake (with and without gaffer tape)

A sheep

A fat mate on a good ledge

Positive mental attitude

A tent peg in thin turfy soil

?
 raptorheli 31 Mar 2010
In reply to Reach>Talent: my wife's neck lol
 jezzah 31 Mar 2010
In reply to Reach>Talent:

how about a walking pole bashed 3" into turf? clove hitch your shoe lace around the bottom and it's safe as houses...
 Reach>Talent 31 Mar 2010
In reply to jezzah:

> how about a walking pole bashed 3" into turf? clove hitch your shoe lace around the bottom and it's safe as houses...

I'm not going anywhere near your house!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...