UKC

pins and needles in my feet when running

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 lynda 11 May 2010
Just prodding the wisdom of the UKC forum.

I've started running again after a long (6 month) lay off. Prior to my lay-off, I was able to run 10 k without much bother, but now I'm in training for a half-marathon in Sept.

Now, I've been trying to be sensible and build up my running slowly but I've noticed that my calves are starting to seize up after 2 miles (into a 3-4 mile run) or so after which I begin to develop pins and needles in my feet that get so bad I have to stop and wait for it to pass. It is particularly bad in my left foot, but I do get it in my right foot. I have also noticed that I am starting to get pain on the outside edge about halfway down my left foot.

I am wearing all my usual gear, so no new shoes or socks, but this is a new symptom. I was wondering if I need new running shoes (Gel ASICs 2050 or something like that, it's for moderate pronators) as my current ones are starting to get a bit old but I don't know if I should be thinking about anything else?

Cheers
Lynda
 Reach>Talent 11 May 2010
In reply to lynda:
"am wearing all my usual gear, so no new shoes or socks"

Have you changed anything else, I got pins and needles in my feet and lower legs when I wore some compression shorts which I probably went a size too small on.
 Zygoticgema 11 May 2010
In reply to lynda: It sounds as if you're getting some nerve impingement through muscel constriction. How's your stretching routine? Honestly?
OP lynda 11 May 2010
In reply to Reach>Talent: nope, no other new stuff either.
 ebygomm 11 May 2010
In reply to lynda:

Are you all thyroxined up?

I get carpal tunnel when I'm undermedicated
OP lynda 11 May 2010
In reply to Zygoticgema: honestly? There isn't a pre-run one. I do a warm down stretch, including straight and bent knee calf stretches, hamstring stretches and quad stretches. I usually take about 10 minutes for all the stretches

It's all a little odd as I'm not doing anything different to what I did before. I have even started to loosen my laces to try and pre-empt the issue.
OP lynda 11 May 2010
In reply to ebygomm: As far as I am aware I am fine with that (though I really ought to ring up about getting my results - thanks for the reminder).
 Zygoticgema 11 May 2010
In reply to lynda: Try doing a pre stretch with warm up. At the end have a really good long stretch holding each stretch for no less than 30 seconds. When I'm doing a through stretch of my legs it can take up to 30 minutes.
You'll feel the benefits.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...