UKC

What are the height of the walls / routes at Ratho

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 gramee 19 May 2010
Hi all,

Was wondering how big the walls/routes are at Ratho? If anyone has the stats I'd be massively grateful. Min and max would be cool.

I'm posting here rather than contacting Ratho direct as I thought I might get a quicker response here.

Cheers,

Graham
 David Bulley 19 May 2010
In reply to gramee:

Someone told me last night it was as high as 32 metres! Also they have bolted rock indoors, sounds pretty cool. Isn't it on their website?
 JamieSparkes Global Crag Moderator 19 May 2010
In reply to gramee: inside or outside?
 Glansa 19 May 2010
In reply to gramee:

You may well get a more acurate figure soon but the tower and lead walls go up to ~30m and the far end of the toproping wall where the kids start is maybe 8m and slabby.

Assuming that it's indoors you're after, and there is no bolted rock indoors...
In reply to Nick B, Another One: Alien Invaders, 6c+
 Fraser 19 May 2010
In reply to gramee:

I'd heard it was 28m for the max. but can't be positive. The square tower is probably the highest climbable point in the arena, moreso than the Justice Wall. Min. wall is in the bouldering room and about 4.5m. Beginners wall is about 10-12m maybe?
OP gramee 19 May 2010
In reply to all:

thanks for the replies, it's much appreciated. it's mainly to get an idea, stamina-wise for the bryccs in June

had a look on the site but nothing jumped out at me

Again, cheers for the replies
OP gramee 19 May 2010
In reply to gramee:
Ah, found it on the site:

'With walls from 12m to 35m high...'

Lovely job
 Glansa 19 May 2010
In reply to jamface:

What's that then? Your post seems a little light on detail and the UKC logbook doesn't help either.

Is it meant to be an indoor sport route? If so then it's interesting but as far as I know the no climbing on rock indoor thing still stands. Never seen anyone climbing rock in there and the centre have said they can't get insurance to allow it.
In reply to Nick B, Another One: Aye its behind on of the current walls (maybe old comp wall, can't quite remember) was apparently bolted and climbed at night by the guys from alien whilst the quarry was closed and being excavated to accommodate the centre.
 Fraser 19 May 2010
In reply to gramee:
> (In reply to all)
>
> ..for the bryccs in June

In that case, routes for that are likely to be on the comp walls which are a bit shorter, maybe more like 20m or so.
OP gramee 19 May 2010
In reply to Fraser:

Cheers Fraser, but I'm not going to tell the youths that. Having some stamina in reserve can only be good, yes??
 Scott K 19 May 2010
In reply to gramee: But remember the comp walls are overhanging. The main comp wall has a roof that must be 8m. It will depend on the age groups as well.
 Lurkio 19 May 2010
In reply to gramee:

Remember that YCS routes usually have a maximum of 33 moves (points up to 99). At the BRYCS 08 final all the routes were on the main wall (left as you look out from the cafe). The "new" comp wall was still under construction then, and the old comp wall was unavailable.

Don't know if they will use either of the comp walls this year, but they are too steep for the top-roping groups anyway.

I have posted a photo (http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=30693730&l=e308fa9ddd&id=1228... ) which gives an idea of the length of the routes in the 08 final. The finishing holds/lower-offs are taped up, so you can see that most of the shorter routes are top-ropes, but some of the lead routes go quite high.

HTH

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...