UKC

Have Germany peaked in the World Cup?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jacobfinn 13 Jun 2010
Since it was mentioned in another thread that England, under the influence of their Italian manager, are starting slowly (that's a euphemistic description of a poor result if ever I heard one), are building momentum and are aiming to peak during the semis, I take that Germany playing their opponents off the park, scoring 4 goals and looking like a really decent team means that they've peaked tonight?

Or is there another description of the England and Germany performances? I'll let you decide.

Looking forward to some defensive replies from our friends in the South.

robdan 13 Jun 2010
In reply to jacobfinn: Germans certainly looked impressive but then the Aussies also got turned over 3-1 the other week bu USA. Not sure the Aussies even have a decent striker and didn't help went they went down to 10 men. At least the Germans were entertaining and look a threat for the tournemount.
England as we all know have serious central defensive issues with King and Ferdinand out, Carragher seems to have lost his pace and Upson and Dawson untried. However should make it to the last 16 thus not being knocked out in the first round, may struggle to get much further.
Now by my recollection no Scottish team has ever mads it past the first round of the world cup finals have they...hehehe !
In reply to jacobfinn: Oh give over. Isn't there anything better to talk about, like whether their centre back is taller than one of our centre forwards?

T.
In reply to jacobfinn:

Englands performance wasn't that bad. it was a serious clusterfcuk on behalf of our goalkeeper.

Germany ran circles around aus because they are significantly better than them.

USA have got quite a strong team and no two matches will be the same.
 Banned User 77 13 Jun 2010
In reply to jacobfinn: Germany beat an average Australian side who had 10 men. Germany will do well, they always do. It's not defensive or anything else. It's just a fact. It's one game, things change.

It makes me laugh how this tournament its the English I know who have stayed level headed. No 'we're all shit' 'we're world beaters', just a cautious, lets see. Yet its, mainly the Scots, who seem to paint us as a toip 4 in the world team and are jumping around with glee because we drew a game..
In reply to robdan:
> Carragher seems to have lost his pace and Upson and Dawson untried.

Carragher never had any, he's relied on lunges for donkeys years. Good defender, but him, Vidic and Terry are very similar and get by with know how, positioning, power and bravery, all lack pace.
In reply to IainRUK:

come on Iain, its not the scots that have england down as world champions in waiting before every WC...

though i accept that the tabloid press and itv coverage arent representative of england fans as a whole, and that the expectations on here seem restrained, even overly pessimistic....

in fact, i think that's worth a thread of its own...

cheers
gregor
 robdan 13 Jun 2010
In reply to jacobfinn: To all our Scottish friends trying to wind us up...

Please remember to raise a glass and celebrate this Wednesday the 16th June as it will be the twentieth anniversary of the last time you won a world cup finals game, (in 1990 v Sweden). Unfortunately you finished 3rd in the group behind Costa Rica and were knocked out !
OP jacobfinn 13 Jun 2010
In reply to IainRUK: Yeah, the Scots are trying (and some of us have really succeeded) to wind our wee sassenach pals up. As they say in Gerrard and Rooney-ville, calm down, calm down.

I've already said that I know that Scotland are crap, and if the team that represents my nation can find a way to trip themselves up, they will. Scotland have a reputation of gallant losers, or winning when its too late against the good teams having lost or drawn to the rubbish teams. I'd love to see them do better, but they probably never will, so I'm pretty accepting of that. You can say what you like about Scotland. They can only get better!

But, the expectation levels raised by the media whenever England get to a championship are just mental. I love the pretend level headed attitude that you all are putting forward, when in reality you are just bursting to shout out "Inger-lund". You want to mention 1966 but know that you can't because the rest of the UK are so so bored of it. You actually believe the hype about the team. Germany putting 4 past a team no worse really than the USA can be reasoned out, as can a drab performance against your own opponents (who played well, as opposed to England who played poorly).

Why not just all admit that England are rubbish. It'll make you feel so much better. Scotland are rubbish. Wales are rubbish. Northern Ireland are rubbish. See. Its so much better.

I would actually like to see England play well, so that I know that its not all hype. Really. I'd also like to see them draw the next two games too, and go out of the tournament on goal difference :-o
In reply to jacobfinn:
> (In reply to IainRUK) Yeah, the Scots are trying (and some of us have really succeeded) to wind our wee sassenach pals up. As they say in Gerrard and Rooney-ville, calm down, calm down.
>
> I've already said that I know that Scotland are crap, and if the team that represents my nation can find a way to trip themselves up, they will. Scotland have a reputation of gallant losers, or winning when its too late against the good teams having lost or drawn to the rubbish teams. I'd love to see them do better, but they probably never will, so I'm pretty accepting of that. You can say what you like about Scotland. They can only get better!
>
> But, the expectation levels raised by the media whenever England get to a championship are just mental. I love the pretend level headed attitude that you all are putting forward, when in reality you are just bursting to shout out "Inger-lund". You want to mention 1966 but know that you can't because the rest of the UK are so so bored of it. You actually believe the hype about the team. Germany putting 4 past a team no worse really than the USA can be reasoned out, as can a drab performance against your own opponents (who played well, as opposed to England who played poorly).
>
> Why not just all admit that England are rubbish. It'll make you feel so much better. Scotland are rubbish. Wales are rubbish. Northern Ireland are rubbish. See. Its so much better.
>
> I would actually like to see England play well, so that I know that its not all hype. Really. I'd also like to see them draw the next two games too, and go out of the tournament on goal difference :-o

USA just beat Australia 3-1...look at the rankings? USA 14th, Australia 20th. USA are a better team.

England are ranked 8th in the world. I think most of think that's about our level, so quarter finals should be our target, then see.

Our teams always suffer due to expectations, they are scared to get on the ball. Only 2 or 3 have the belief that they can be good and want the ball. The rest hide. That's why I think we should just pick players from the big 4, the ones who play big games all the time.

In reply to IainRUK:

not enough england player in the big 4

under that policy no lennon, barry, milner, heskey, or king

(well, there's no king anyway, i suppose...)

who from the big 4 would you have instead? wes brown?

In reply to no_more_scotch_eggs:

I'd have Carrick as a regular, we have no cool head. I'm not a huge fan of Barry. I'd have gone with Neville over Carragher, I think he proved in the end he could have done a job. Brown also.

Walcott also.

Hargreaves just missed out.

But you could easily have 1/2 the squad from just United, Liverpool an Chelsea.
In reply to IainRUK:

thought carrick had had a disappointing season?

and hargreaves hasnt played for years!

i agree about neville over carragher though

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...