UKC

Best single pitch crag nr keswick?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Trystan 01 Apr 2003
Any suggestions for a crag which is suitable for spa styleee stuff, it will be a one off, i won't be damaging or over using it. Any suggestions would be great, ta, trys
 Al Evans 01 Apr 2003
In reply to Trystan: If you want easy routes, Brown Slabs area on Shepherds.
Paddles 01 Apr 2003
In reply to Al Evans:

Without doubt, it has to be Reecastle...
Paddles 01 Apr 2003
In reply to Paddles: oppps hadn't read the SPA bit
Paddles 01 Apr 2003
In reply to Paddles: errrr not Reecastle then....
bobw 01 Apr 2003
In reply to Paddles:

Why not? It'd be fun

Bob
StuR 01 Apr 2003
In reply to Al Evans:
> (In reply to Trystan) If you want easy routes, Brown Slabs area on Shepherds.

Nah, overated polish. I think stars have been given in a bit much abundance generally around the Lakes. Can't think of anywhere great though, because my Lakes knowledge is very limited. I enjoyed Raven's in Langdale, but some friends wouldn't agree and its not single pitch. Doh!
 Al Evans 01 Apr 2003
In reply to StuR: Its not in Borrowdale either
StuR 01 Apr 2003
In reply to Al Evans:

I suppose my definition of "near" for Keswick is just a bit out!
OP priesty 02 Apr 2003
In reply to StuR:
> (In reply to Al Evans)
>
> I suppose my definition of "near" for Keswick is just a bit out!

how about ondoors...
Hillman 02 Apr 2003
In reply to priesty:

The best crag for SPA type stuff near Keswick is Upper Shepherds Crag. It's about 10 m high and has a good selection of maybe four routes, excellent for use with groups. The belays on the top are wires (good selection of sizes needed) and blocks and are a long way back so long rigging ropes required. (it is possible to rig it with wires on the edge but its quicker to rig it from the back) You can abseil there too.

The crag is solid so few loose rock problems and has a large flat grassy base. The situation is idyllic though it can catch the weather badly on windy/wet days. To get there go up from the cafe car park and instead of going to the stile at the right end of the crag follow the path up the hillside quite steeply until you reach a wall...then turn left and follow the path to the crag - you can see it in front of you and it is obvious. Alternatively you can walk down to the crag from the cattle grid on the Watendlath road which is a good option for those groups who can't make it up hills!!!

Other Borrowdale possibilities include Seathwaite Slabs (not very high but ok) and abseil sites at Castle Head and Quayfoot Quarry. Twa Hummocks is a possibilitty too but a long walk in.
OP Hillman 02 Apr 2003
In reply to Trystan:

Brown Slabs is a very poor option - it is too big (multi-pitch routes so outside the remit of SPA), and is invariably overpopulated, plus your group will get in the way of 'real' climbers.....plus its shady!!
 Alan Stark 02 Apr 2003
In reply to Hillman:

It's not in Borrowdale, but try Head End Quarry, near Ireby

About 15 miles north of Keswick.

About 30 routes up to HVS, 20 - 30 ft high, solid limestone in a quiet setting. Belay stakes at the top.
StuR 03 Apr 2003
In reply to Hillman:
> (In reply to Trystan)
>
> Brown Slabs is a very poor option - it is too big (multi-pitch routes so outside the remit of SPA

Not necessarily multi-pitch. Best done in one really.
Andy T 03 Apr 2003
In reply to Trystan:
I was at Glaciated Slab in Combe Gill a couple of Sundays ago, about 15min drive south of Keswick and 40min walk in (didn't fancy shady, polished, busy Shepherds. South facing, sunny, quiet, several easy (M,D,VD,MVS) routes on clean, rough rock, up to 18 metres, stake and wire belays, wonderful views. A very pleasant afternoon out.
OP Anonymous 03 Apr 2003
In reply to StuR:
> (In reply to Hillman)
> [...]
>
> Not necessarily multi-pitch. Best done in one really.

Yep but hopeless for instructing a group of novices - you can sort out a mid height belay so they can go half way up and lower off but its so much hassle having to walk them down after each route - of course you could always lower them from the top or abseil them off but the time factor is starting to tell now - try getting your average group of 10 through a long climb and a long abseil/lower!!!!...plus you'll make yourself very unpopular with bona fide climbers having somebody landing on their head and the fact that the guidebook specifically asks you not to abseil on this bit of the crag ....great for teaching 'proper'climbing though!! - and the fact that they are described in the guidebook as multi pitch means they are outside the remit of the SPA holder......

OP Hillman 03 Apr 2003
In reply to Anonymous: oops that was me in that last post......

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...