UKC

Descent from cenotaph corner - Dinas cromlech

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 partz 27 Jun 2010
Hi guys
Is there a down climb for cenotaph corner in Dinas Cromlech or is it just abseil? The reason I ask is that I only have a 50m single rope which isnt long enough to be retreivable

Thanks in advance
 mike_uk82 27 Jun 2010
In reply to partz: Down climb a gully to the right I think.
 TomWebber 27 Jun 2010
In reply to partz:
Hi Matt!

When we to Dinas Cromlech there last year there was an easy walk/scramble off the top, so guess it'll be the same for Cenotaph Corner...

Good luck on the route! Trying to better Ed on Little Star Wall?

Tom
 jon 27 Jun 2010
In reply to partz:

Via Tributary Crack, Diff, a leftward diagonal flake, then join the descent path which goes up and over the top of the crag and down the steep but easy descent gully on the right of the crag.
 Al Evans 28 Jun 2010
In reply to partz: You have to do a 30ft crack called Tributary Crack, Diff, or a 50ft severe called Cenotaph Corner Finish to get above The Valley. For West Wing routes, those finishing left of Sabre Cut scramble up and around the top of the cliff to find the steep easy gully which curves round its right hand side. The gullies on the left hand side of the cliff are hard to find and follow at dusk.
 Alun 28 Jun 2010
In reply to partz:
There is a very straightforward climb/walk off, as others have described.

However, if there is nobody following you, you may find it difficult to resist abseiling off the plentiful tat, which in my experience is what most people end up doing.
 Al Evans 28 Jun 2010
In reply to Alun: Strange you know, we never even considered not walking down in the 60's, it was just the natural thing to do.
 wilkie14c 28 Jun 2010
In reply to Al Evans:
Over the other side of the Cromlech, sprial Stairs side, how many have noticed the hugely deep fissure at the top? Its a crack so deep it must go to the bottom of the crag, maybe 4 inches wide? Tried to get some abstract pictures with the camera inside last time but the light was wrong. amazing feature though and one that loads probably just step over
 Postmanpat 28 Jun 2010
In reply to Al Evans:
> (In reply to Alun) Strange you know, we never even considered not walking down in the 60's, it was just the natural thing to do.

I think our shoes are more painful these days!
 jon 28 Jun 2010
In reply to partz:

On the other hand, you are unlikely to be alone on the Cromlech on a nice day... Abseil down on your single and get someone to throw the rope down afterwards.
 jon 28 Jun 2010
In reply to Postmanpat:
> (In reply to Al Evans)
> [...]
>
>
> I think our shoes are more painful these days!

NO they aren't!

Max factor 28 Jun 2010
In reply to Al Evans:
> (In reply to Alun) Strange you know, we never even considered not walking down in the 60's, it was just the natural thing to do.

Was abseiling then as 'safe' as it is now with modern gear? Just thinking that without a stitch plate was it more bother or more risky then compared to just walking off?
 Al Evans 28 Jun 2010
In reply to Max factor: Considering about that time, or just after, certainly when we were still walking down, I was abseiling into the unknown over Gogarth Main Cliff etc on a rope that didn't reach the bottom, to spot possible lines, I don't think that is the answer.
 Postmanpat 28 Jun 2010
In reply to jon:
> (In reply to Postmanpat)
> [...]
>
> NO they aren't!

Mine are. Maybe that's why I wasn't much good
 jon 28 Jun 2010
In reply to Postmanpat:

The main difference between EBs and modern shoes, apart from the rubber, that is, was that unlike modern shoes, EBs used to SHRINK!
 Al Evans 28 Jun 2010
In reply to jon: Ah! That was the 60's 70's for you sitting in the bath with your levis and your EB's on so they would shrink to fit
 sutty 28 Jun 2010
 jon 28 Jun 2010
In reply to sutty:

I found that sweating in them was enough to shrink them. Levis, on the other hand needed the bath treatment....

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...