UKC

Holcombe Quarries

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Grumps 22 Jul 2010
Thinking of going to Holcombe Quarries one weekday in next few weeks.
Would be grateful if anyone could comment on access etc at present.
Thanks to anyone who can help
In reply to Grumps: The landowner has a planning application in to convert both quarries into a holiday complex. He has resubmitted his application after it was turned down a couple of years ago. I understand that he has done a lot of work recently as there was a site inspection by councillors and planning people this week.

After another tragic drowning in Holcombe 'wet side' recently security has been stepped up again and with the school summer holidays now started I would expect security to be quite high. Having said this it is usually possible to climb in the 'dry side' although permission has never been granted. I'd park in Stoke St Michael and walk through as this keeps a low profile, generally away from the security. If you want to climb in the wet side it depends on the level of security on the day.

If you are challenged please be pleasant and leave as we might want to try and get 'official' permission should the planning application fail.

Ian Butterworth
BMC Access Rep for Mendip & Somerset
OP Grumps 22 Jul 2010
In reply to Ian Butterworth:
Thanks, that makes it pretty clear
In reply to Grumps: According to the local press the landowner has been given permission to build the holiday complex within the two Holcombe quarries. It has taken him 8 years from his original application and I'm not sure of the timescale for building but I expect development work will start soon.

Ian Butterworth
BMCX Access Rep for Mendip & Somerset

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...