UKC

Winter climbing gloves

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
whats the glove of choice now? My Extremities gloves (not mits) are starting to give way (I use them on the motorbike in cold weather a lot).

Probbaly need some new ones this winter.
In reply to Fawksey: marmot XT
 nniff 17 Sep 2010
In reply to higherclimbingwales:

seconded - with one size fits all skinny inners
 k_os 17 Sep 2010
In reply to Fawksey: Marmot xts for me too
 Sandy Paterson 17 Sep 2010
In reply to Fawksey:

Black Diamond Punnishers
 buzby 17 Sep 2010
In reply to Fawksey: ive got a pair of extremeties ice gauntlets that are several years old but were only ever used twice ( ice climbing wasnt for me) and are in brand new nick.
i tried selling them a while back but got no takers, they are yours for nowt apart from the postage if you want them.
they are the old style that go well past your wrists and have padded protection on the outside of the fingers but if you dont fancy them for climbing then they would be good for the bike in winter.
im away for a while but will be back middle of next week, let me know if you want them as they will end up getting chucked in the next clearout.

cheers Buzby. p.s they are large.
 jonnie3430 17 Sep 2010
In reply to Sandy Paterson Mountaineering:

I had a pair that wore out in 12 routes, they should be called "feebles."
 Mr Lopez 17 Sep 2010
In reply to jonnie3430:
> (In reply to Sandy Paterson Mountaineering)
>
> I had a pair that wore out in 12 routes, they should be called "feebles."

You been lucky! I've gone through 5 pairs in 2 years. Put them close to a rock or in the same room as a rope and they self-destruct!

TobyA 18 Sep 2010
In reply to Fawksey: What do you want them for? Leading hard stuff where you're fiddling with nuts and cams? Leading ice where you just need to get icescrews in? Seconding and belaying? Etc.

I've got Rab Latoks that are very good for the second and OK for the first. I've also got the Marmot XTs, which I like a lot but aren't quite as warm and water resistant as the Rabs.
ice.solo 18 Sep 2010
In reply to Fawksey:

RAB m10s and nice warm sleeves.
yep, theyre thinnish mixed gloves, but unless its stupidly cold they will do so long as your torso and arms are warm.
carry shells for belaying or bad weather, the m10s work well as a kind of thicker liner glove.
 Wee Davie 18 Sep 2010
In reply to Fawksey:

What's your circulation like?
If you can bear it thin gloves are great for leading. I've experimented with loads of different types but I always change to mitts for belays and snow plodding.
Timberland Dry Extreme are good, cheap work gloves (£20 ish ) but you'd need to be a hot running individual to use them. The cuffs aren't that great but they do work for me.
Tried some of the nice new BD Softshell gloves in the shops and liked them, but the price tag would always put me off. Skinflint Scotsman in effect.
In reply to TobyA: ice.solo: Wee Davie: Leading ice, seconding and belaying in Scotland sounds about right.

Winter weekends in Scotland are hard to achieve on a motorbike and so I find Im often always rusty and its back to grade III's in the usual places: Stob Corrie nan Lochan and Aonoch Mor. Anything higher than III's has been guided and Ive always seconded, Green Gully on the Ben for example.

I often get a week in Rjukan climbing up to WI3 and yes dexterity in the hands doesnt seem that important to place ice screws like buttons up a snowmans front.

Circulation. I never used to get hot aches like Ive seen other people suffer from but recently on the motorbike during winter my hands have been extremely painful but thats only a taste of whats to come when they warm up which is excrutiating.

I have a sneaky feeling that a thinner more dextrous glove on Scottish mixed might actually improve my climbing by encouraging me to place more gear (rather than than not being faffed to piss about with my present rather thick gloves) making me feel more confident and therefore climb a bit harder,
 iksander 18 Sep 2010
In reply to Fawksey: ME Mountain Stretch, as dexterous as a softshell glove but waterproof too. And pile lined, so proper warm. I have never had to take them off, or wear mitts over them. Now discontinued Some old stock still available though

I also have M10s - mega fit, the only gloves I have ever had that I can open a ring pull. But no insulation at all, better for dry tooling unless you have volcanic circulation.
Anonymous 18 Sep 2010
In reply to Sandy Paterson Mountaineering:
> (In reply to Fawksey)
>
> Black Diamond Punnishers

Agreed.

I packed these for a trip to Alaska with a spare 'warmer' pair for when things got really cold. It turned out the Punishers were warmer than my 'warmer' gloves.

I was a bit unconvinced when I first tried them on in the shop (quite thin material), but in use they offered very good levels of warmth and dexterity.
From what I remember, they weren't that cheap though...
 Sandy Paterson 18 Sep 2010
In reply to jonnie3430:

I have had a few pairs now, some have fallen to bits quickly and some have lasted ages!! However the ones that have fallen to bit I have just sent back to BD and thay have replaced them.

The reason I like them so much is I find them a great fir for my hands, for some reason I also seem to find gloves have thumbs that are too big for me. Must has short thumbs!!
 Mike Pescod 19 Sep 2010
In reply to Fawksey: I use these - http://www.dickiesworkwear.com/catalogue/gloves/-/GL0200/lined-leather-glov... - they cost £10 per pair from the local Hawco suppliers (Corpach) and you can get them online.

I treat the leather with Nikwax gloveproof or similar. They are very dextrous, last well and are very warm for a relatively thin glove (they have a thinsulate lining). I do have warm fingers and toes though.

In really wet weather I use these - http://www.showagloves.com/gloves/index.php?categoryid=5&gloveid=39 - but they take a bit of getting used to!

I did see these - http://www.arcteryx.com/Product.aspx?EN/Mens/Gloves/Alpha-SV-Glove - but the £200 price tag put me off slightly!

Mike
 nufkin 19 Sep 2010
In reply to Fawksey:

I like Punishers too, and so far have found them to be pretty robust. We'll see how they go this winter.

I also like the OR Extravert glove.
 Ron Walker 19 Sep 2010
In reply to Mike Pescod:

Have you tried Ice Ninja work glove? Tough, warm and soft with great dexterity!!!
See http://www.ninjagloves.com/docs/ninja_icehtp.htm
They cost 6 Euros from the Chamonix Sud hardware store and being used by a number of the guides.
I've tried to find a UK importer that sold less than 120 pair box in my size!!!!

Cheer Ron
 TobyA 19 Sep 2010
In reply to Ron Walker: Maybe you should buy a box of 120 and then sell them on at slight mark-up. I'll buy some!
 KeithAlexander 19 Sep 2010
had these
http://www.outdoordesigns.co.uk/products_gloves_tyrol.html

were pretty good, warm, dexterous, sticky, but wore out pretty quick. Thinking of getting dachstein gloves. The Ninja gloves look good though.
 Milesy 19 Sep 2010
I got a pair of dachsteins last winter. I found them pretty cold though! and the ice build up was annoying and got in the way.
 Mr Fuller 19 Sep 2010
In reply to Ron Walker: Haha! I thought these were exclusive garments! I have a pair of Ninja Knights (now discontinued) which were Ninja's flagship cut/stab-resistant glove for chemical and material science labs (which is where I got mine...). They are dexterous, cheap, and completely ice-axe proof. Only problem is the lack of insulation...
 Jonny Tee 69 20 Sep 2010
In reply to Fawksey:

Haven't found anything better for warmth and dexterity than the extremities ice gauntlet with the inner removed. Tried an expensive pair of black diamond gloves and my hands froze. I always take 3 or 4 pairs of gloves so I can change them if they get soaked.
 jonnie3430 20 Sep 2010
In reply to TobyA:
> (In reply to Ron Walker) Maybe you should buy a box of 120 and then sell them on at slight mark-up. I'll buy some!

Me too, flog em on ebay with a discount for large numbers so people are encouraged to distribute for you.
 DWilliamson 20 Sep 2010
In reply to Ron Walker:

Found them in stylish High Vis green for £9 a pair here: http://www.metalfabsupplies.co.uk/category.asp?id=239269
 Lucy Wallace 20 Sep 2010
In reply to Fawksey:

My very old school extremities gloves haven't been on the market for 10 years (with the old rainbow coloured logo) are just starting to fail on the kevlar palms. They never fit me that well cos I'm a girl, so I've tried all sorts of other things which have been pants in terms of warmth and dexterity so I always came back to the old extremities. Now I need to replace them, but I have small palms and long fingers so wondering what gloves other women wear?

Those ice ninjas only seem to come in man sized sizes.
 Ron Walker 21 Sep 2010
In reply to TobyA:
> (In reply to Ron Walker) Maybe you should buy a box of 120 and then sell them on at slight mark-up. I'll buy some!

I thought about that but I'm not sure it's worth the effort with all the packing and posting!! Maybe you should do a review of them on your blog or for UKC.....
 Ron Walker 21 Sep 2010
In reply to Mr Fuller:

These ones are good for -50!!!
 Ron Walker 21 Sep 2010
In reply to DWilliamson:

Well done....

I've got the black ones in XL but the L or M should fit and be seen better!!

Thanks for that
 Jasonic 21 Sep 2010
In reply to Ron Walker: These look great for handling, but have they any warmth/ knuckle protection?! Thanks
 smithaldo 21 Sep 2010
In reply to Jasonic:

Get curved axes, then you dont need knuckle protection.

I seem to find fear keeps my mind off how cold my hands feel whilst leading too so that's not a massive problem.

These gloves look brill for the price!
 Mr Fuller 21 Sep 2010
In reply to Ron Walker: I think they should be flexible down to -50 - not sure warm down to -50!
 Jasonic 21 Sep 2010
In reply to smithaldo: Never had frostnip then?
Juho Risku 23 Sep 2010
In reply to Fawksey: My current glove choise is BD Enforcers. I'm climbing usually in pretty cold conditions though... and I guess those are a bit bulky for warmer weathers. On the plus side is the removable inner glove and the fact that they can take quite a bit of wear. ...from the pure dexterity / warmth ratio side, Berghaus Extrems would be ideal, but they just can't take the wear.

- Juho Risku / http://www.climbingextreme.com
 jonnie3430 23 Sep 2010
In reply to Fawksey:

|You know it'd be really nice if a "climbers," climbing shop stockist was reading this thinking, "right, I'll get some in and see if they sell," because it'd make it a bit cheaper and easier to get my hands on some of the gloves from the builders merchants. In particular these: http://www.dickiesworkwear.com/catalogue/gloves/-/GL0200/lined-leather-glov... and these: http://www.metalfabsupplies.co.uk/category.asp?id=239269 ...
 Ronbo 23 Sep 2010
In reply to jonnie3430: Jonnie, just get them from here http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp?PID=164906

I had homebase leather pruning gloves or something last winter and they look fine still. I have had various "expensive" gloves before and they always got trashed. Still carried a spare pair of "good" gloves just incase but last winter I only used them twice and I did a bit of climbing.

Ron
 jonnie3430 23 Sep 2010
In reply to Ronbo:

A "bit?" Lets hope it's the same. I tried ordering the leather gloves earlier in the week, but had to buy two pairs to get the minimum amount for spending and the delivery was as much as a pair of the gloves. Since then the company haven't sent an order confirmation or nothing.... I only posted the previous as I can't imagine that these building suppliers are particularly interested in selling single pairs to climbers all the time.
 Mr Fuller 23 Sep 2010
In reply to Fawksey: While we're on the subject...

I was in TKMaxx today and at the gloves section were a pair of ski gloves made by Level (I've never heard of them, but then I know nothing about skiing). They had an awesome fold-away drybag-style mitt in the back of the hand which was hidden in a little zip-up pocket. I've seen those pockets for ski passes and stuff, but this was awesome!

Are there any climbing gloves which have a tuck-away waterproof overmitt that you can stick on and off when you want? I thought it'd be ace for a bit of insulation when belaying.
In reply to Paul R: Hey and what a coincidence that youre selling them!
 David86 13 Oct 2010
In reply to buzby: I'd be happy to take those gloves off you if theyre still up for sale
Lerand 14 Oct 2010
In reply to Fawksey:
Anyone try the new Mountain Hardwear glove technology? My pair from last winter were the most waterproof gloves I've ever climbed in. I'm buying the heavier Medusa this year.
 oldgrey 22 Oct 2010
In reply to Ron Walker:
> (In reply to Mike Pescod)
>
> Have you tried Ice Ninja work glove? Tough, warm and soft with great dexterity!!!
> See http://www.ninjagloves.com/docs/ninja_icehtp.htm
> They cost 6 Euros from the Chamonix Sud hardware store and being used by a number of the guides.
> I've tried to find a UK importer that sold less than 120 pair box in my size!!!!
>
> Cheer Ron

Ninja Work Gloves - £4.72 pair in the UK

They've been re-branded for the UK market and are available here:

http://www.arco.co.uk/products/14G4800/147422/Skytec%C2%AE%20Argon%20Therma...

Think I'll try a pair myself!

Ron Walker 22 Oct 2010
In reply to oldgrey:

Fantastic and they have medium in black (the fluro green Ninjas would be spooky in a whiteout!)
BTW Just looked at your profile. Were you camped at Les Arolles with your son in July...?

Cheers Ron
In reply to Fawksey:

Bought last year's Marmot Work Glove and they are excellent. Lots of leather so very hardwearing; very warm, which I need for poor circulation. I fit them quite a spacious fit for the right finger length fit for me, I think this contributes to warmth.

http://www.gore-tex.com/remote/Satellite/men/gloves-and-mittens/gloves/bran...
 Jasonic 26 Oct 2010
In reply to fairweatherclimber: I had opposite experience with Marmot work gloves, poor quality- cuff came off first day- not that warm. A pair of skinny inners helps.
 jonnie3430 26 Oct 2010
In reply to Mike Pescod:
> (In reply to Fawksey) I use these - http://www.dickiesworkwear.com/catalogue/gloves/-/GL0200/lined-leather-glov... - they cost £10 per pair from the local Hawco suppliers (Corpach) and you can get them online.
>
> I treat the leather with Nikwax gloveproof or similar. They are very dextrous, last well and are very warm for a relatively thin glove (they have a thinsulate lining). I do have warm fingers and toes though.

I tried a medium pair of these on Wednesday having nikwaxed them first and second Mikes comments. The only drama is the cuffs could be half an inch longer, but this only manifests with movement so you just need to tuck back in every fifteen minutes. I've found Cairngorm granite rough on any glove and was delighted to notice that these gloves suffered less than a pair of "punishers."
grimm 28 Oct 2010
second to Marmot XT, they are simply brilliant glove from summer alpine ascents to ice climbing and dry tooling. The fit and the grip is phenomenal. Occasionally could use something more water resistant (these get soaked pretty easily)
 Dane1 01 Nov 2010
In reply to Lerand:

Big fan of Mtn Hardware and OutDry as well.

http://coldthistle.blogspot.com/search/label/gloves

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...