UKC

Gaia Accident Yesterday

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 sabbott 19 Sep 2010
I'm with Derby MRT who helped along with the DLR air amb, recover a guy who'd fell from pretty near the top of Gaia yesterday. His second did a good job but he still decked out.
Just wondered if any one who knew him had any update on his condition ?
 Skyfall 19 Sep 2010
In reply to sabbott:

not the young lad who was on here a month or so back going on about trying it I hope!
OP sabbott 19 Sep 2010
In reply to JonC:

Prob not - from what his second was saying he's climbed it before more than once but got distracted this time for some reason and struggled pulling on to the arete. He had two attempts at the toe-hook on to the arete.

His top gear in the short crack ripped out leaving him with an extended nut in the break at the bottom of the groove- which did hold!
 Mick Ward 19 Sep 2010
In reply to sabbott:

Lucky escape.

Mick

In reply to JonC: my thoughts exactly!
 Keendan 19 Sep 2010
In reply to unclesamsauntibess:

Wasn't me!

I've got over it now

Dan
 Keendan 19 Sep 2010
In reply to sabbott:

Found tha accident report, although it says little more about the incident.
http://www.derbymrt.org.uk/

I thought that cam slot looked dubious, especially as you have to place it blind. I guess I'm amazed it's held so many falls before now.

Good to see it wasn't fatal; hope he's ok
 Dave Reeve 19 Sep 2010
In reply to sabbott: The guy who fell is a good friend of mine, I wasn't there, but it seems just bad luck, he'd practiced the route several times cleanly but got distracted at a crucial moment on the lead. He has a cracked vertebra but the prognosis is good that he'll make a full recovery.

Thanks to you and the rest of the team involved in helping him after this accident.

Regards

Dave Reeve
 Dave Reeve 19 Sep 2010
In reply to Dave Reeve: My friend has also asked me to thank Jane and her husband who helped him immediately after his accident. Words can't describe how much he appreciates your help.
 Keendan 19 Sep 2010
In reply to Dave Reeve:

Sounds really close, what a blessing that he's not in for permanent damage.

The DLRAA do a fantastic job, they helped out my friend at Markfield as well. We're so indebted to them!
 abr1966 19 Sep 2010
In reply to Dave Reeve: Best wishes to your mate, a bold climb for sure, hope his recovery is swift..
OP sabbott 19 Sep 2010
In reply to Dave Reeve:

Dave - that is good news. I'm sure his second did a hell of a lot to reduce the impact of his fall.

We don't often get feedback on the outcome of many incidents and its good to feedback to every one who was there and helped, that the casualty is ok.

Stuart
DMRT Equip Officer

OP sabbott 19 Sep 2010
In reply to Dave Reeve:
sorry . . . And give my and the team's best wishes for a full recovery to him.
ju 20 Sep 2010
In reply to sabbott:
I am also a close friend. Thank you so much. His belayer said how quickly you arrived and that the communication between you and the flight team was excellent. You must all put in a lot of free time to training and we are all really appreciative.
His partner would also like to thank you and to thank Jane and her husband who also did a fantastic job. I will organise a collection for you at our local wall.
Juliet Scott

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...