UKC

climbing competitions?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
trimtram 30 Oct 2010
i was asked 'how do you win a comp, you can either climb the climb or you can't '
as there are no points awarded for finesse etc. and no points deducted for faults.
what is the system to ensure there is one winner and not two for example.
 Keendan 30 Oct 2010
In reply to trimtram:

This is my understanding of most competitions

Boulder Comp: How many tries it takes you to get to the top of a problem.
Max points for getting to the top first go. Lots of individual problems in a day.

Leading: How far you get up a route. Each hold corresponds to a number. The top hold has maximum points. The top scorers go on to a harder route and the same happens again until there is a winner.

People seem to assume it's whoever gets to the top first, or that climbing isn't a real sport because they can't imagine they'd ever be a climbing "competition"
 Glansa 30 Oct 2010
In reply to trimtram:

> as there are no points awarded for finesse etc. and no points deducted for faults.

You mean apart from being disqualified for weighting the rope, pulling on clips, skipping clips, clipping in the wrong order...

Tiberius 30 Oct 2010
In reply to trimtram:

As you either get to the top or you don't, there's also no opportunity for arranging with the judges that you vote for us and we'll vote for you ala purely subjective 'sports' like ice skating.

(getting to the top, with the caveat of the possible 'disqualifications' mentioned above)
In reply to Nick B, Another One: You don't get disqualified for those sorts of things. You get stopped and your high point recorded. Disqualification is reserved for serious disciplinary offences and results in you not having any 'score' at all.
 Glansa 30 Oct 2010
In reply to Graeme Alderson:

Good point well made. Should have said stopped for those things not disqualified. I was just trying to correct the OP's assertion of not "losing points" on style.

Cheers,
Nick

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...