UKC

climbing holds

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
lou reed 08 Nov 2010
what are climbing holds made of and can you make your own ?
 John_Hat 08 Nov 2010
In reply to lou reed:

As I understand it, basically resin (glue) and sand.

Never tried is the answer to your second question. Possibly. However it may well cost you more than buying them.
 peewee2008 08 Nov 2010
In reply to lou reed: Make your own from wood, more skin friendly.
 Richard Baynes 08 Nov 2010
In reply to lou reed: I made some small ones with resin and sand... the sand has to be bone dry first. I used damp sand as a mold, with gave them a nice rough surfgace. I didn't take it any further thna that as I bloody hate climbing walls and stuff but it was an interesting experiment. In a minute someone will be along to tell you how to do it properly, with holes for bolts etc.
lou reed 08 Nov 2010
In reply to Richard Baynes: thanx richard but what sort of resin and where do did you get it from ?
 Paul Crusher R 08 Nov 2010
In reply to lou reed: Wood is love especially where fingerboards are concerned... http://tinyurl.com/347wkqz

Just a tip lou, making resin holds is cool, but you get some seriously nasty mother of all fumes of the resinas its curing. The stuff can kill thee. Try the new craze which using polyester.... more expensive but super strong an dsafe.
 Richard Baynes 09 Nov 2010
In reply to lou reed: I used I think polyester resin which came with a glass firbe kit from halfords or the local DIY. It was a few years ago. The absolute key seems to be the dry sand, so stick it in the oven on a low heat for a while before mixing.
In reply to lou reed:
> what are climbing holds made of

a variety of things, resin, fillers, pigments etc

> and can you make your own ?

yes but to do it even vaguely properly will cost you a fortune and you will need to fumigate your flat. And you will robably damgae your lungs.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...