UKC

Leo

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
limbimftangftangolebiscuitbarrel 30 Apr 2003
The program last night stated that Leo was one of only three fully sponsored climbers in the UK, if this is true (which I doubt) then who are the other two ?

Secondly am I alone in thinking that 'The Shinning Path' looked ... well ... er ... a bit of a path !
Peter Walker 30 Apr 2003
In reply to limbimftangftangolebiscuitbarrel: I think I read somewhere that the others are John Dunne and Alan Hinkes. Might be wrong though.
OP johnny 30 Apr 2003
In reply to limbimftangftangolebiscuitbarrel:
depends what you mean by fully sponsored. Leo and the other two are salaried by companies to the tune of at least 15K. Others still get salaried by big companies just to climb, but less. One of the top women gets ~8K - its whether you consider that 'fully' sponsored. I reckon I could live on it. Remember thats just from one sponsor, you'd get lots more from getting pics in mags, plus you wouldn't have to buy any gear.
In reply to Peter Walker:I think they said 'one of only three climbers paid to climb full time' Plenty of climbers are sponsored to a lesser extent.

Not the most sympathetic of treatments. I thought it was really funny that they finished by calling him 'Britains best climber'! It that a dagger I see before me?
OP Anonymous 30 Apr 2003

It depends what you mean by a path ...

The route was El Sendero Luminosa (The Shining Path) 2000ft 7b+ V 15 pitches. (7a+,7b+,7b,7a+7b,7b,7b,7b,6c,6b,7b,7b+,6c+,6b,5).

Source :
http://www.planetfear.com/climbing/features/travel/mexico/shiningpath.html
OP The Fat One 30 Apr 2003
In reply to Anonymous: I think that this means that it 'is' a bit of a path, this is the sort of grade that is regularly flashed by fat middle aged punters.

It's a bit curious that this was the 'first' free ascent of a fully bolted climb at a very reasonable grade, are there 'no' competant climbers in Mexico ?
 CragHead 30 Apr 2003

He is very talented. Wish I could climb like him easily after long lay off.
OP Anonymous 30 Apr 2003
In reply to The Fat One: I resent that. I'm fat, and middle-aged, and I can't even get up anything beyond 6a!!!!
In reply to The Fat One:

I'm pretty sure that it wasn't the first free ascent of the climb. Mr Berry states in his article that the route has been onsighted in a day....nonetheless it looked like a grand, grand line. And here's me off to mexico in November - wonder if I can get my girlfriend up to leading 7b+ by then?
 Tyler 30 Apr 2003
In reply to The Fat One:

Was it the FFA, didn't hear that bit. I think Kurt Smith is reasonably competent and he owns (or owned) a campsite thing there.

At the begining of the program they showed footage of him climbing before hs accident and one of the clips shoed him dynoing for a flake on, what looked like, Yosemite. Anyone know what this footage was from?
 Tyler 30 Apr 2003
In reply to midgets of the world unite:

> wonder if I can get my girlfriend up to leading 7b+ by then?

Who knows, if you try hard enough you might be capable yourself
OP Johnny 30 Apr 2003
didn't see the programme, but having seen videos of leo dynoing for flakes ad nauseam, it was one of the cruxes on leos free version of (i think) New Dawn on el cap. Only goes half way, and requires aid in the form of a alfa romeo badge. Passage to freedom?
DaveH 30 Apr 2003

Did you notice how Leo described himself as climbing like a total punter? Wonder if he's been reading this forum!
 sutty 30 Apr 2003
In reply to The Fat One:

I don't think ten pitches of 7+ are regularly flashed by many people, a couple of pitches maybe.
 BrianT 30 Apr 2003
In reply to sutty: This 7b lark. Is that sport grades or UK grades, and if sport, what does that mean in UK grades?
OP The Fat One 30 Apr 2003
In reply to sutty: I wouldn't like to be seen as 'having a go' at Leo, that's not my intention but 10 pitches of 7+ done over two days is not exactly arduous in a modern context, I have done this and I'm AM a total punter to borrow a phrase from Leo.

Steve McClure has probably onsighted 10 pitches of 8+ in two days - now that really 'is' an achievement.

Fair play to Leo, he is coming back from an injury and this type of film is for the benefit of the sofa surfers in TV land but to climbers, the hype was a little ott.
OP Anonymous 30 Apr 2003
In reply to BrianT:
The pitch was freed by Kurt smith, ie. all pitches climbed without gear being wieghted. And on-sighted recently by some american pair in a day! and no its not that impressive when you consider Yuji Hiryami recently did on of the salathe free variants in 16 hours!!!!!!!!!!!!
As an advert for extreme sports dude and selling red bull great! i thoought leo was a crazy partyt anaimal who lived life on the edge maaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnn

7b roughly translates to E5 punters
 LizS 30 Apr 2003
In reply to Anonymous:
>7b roughly translates to E5 punters

E6 even! ref http://www.rockfax.com/miniguides/grades.html

What came across to me whilst watching the program was the fact that it really pays to get proper medical advice about injuries and to take the time out to recover fully and build up the strength again rather than try to climb thru an injury in the hope it will get better eventually anyway.

Shining Path did look good! Recorded it so shall watch that bit again!

Liz
OP Anonymous 30 Apr 2003
In reply to Anonymous: "and no its not that impressive when you consider Yuji Hiryami recently did on of the salathe free variants in 16 hours!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Did you have the sound turned off?

The point was that Leo is recovering from a smashed up foot... climbing multi-pitch 7b after a year or so off is VERY impressive! There is no doubt that Leo is a brilliant climber, but to expect him to jump back on an bigwall death route in Yosemite would be a little unrealistic!
sloaneranger 30 Apr 2003
In reply to Anonymous:

Actually, he flew out ot Yosemite yesterday morning. I was quite impressed with that sort of recovery
James Jackson 30 Apr 2003
In reply to Johnny:

Yep, multi-pitch E8ish jobbie. He manteled on the alfo romeo badge (glued onto a bolt head), by the way! The thing is, for the cameras on the ascent he re-did the dyno about 4 times. Crazy.
OP Gareth 30 Apr 2003
In reply to James Jackson: I missed it Bollocks, you didnt tape it did you
OP Sam 30 Apr 2003
In reply to Tyler:
> (In reply to The Fat One)
>
> Was it the FFA, didn't hear that bit. I think Kurt Smith is reasonably competent and he owns (or owned) a campsite thing there.
>
> At the begining of the program they showed footage of him climbing before hs accident and one of the clips shoed him dynoing for a flake on, what looked like, Yosemite. Anyone know what this footage was from?

I think it was 'that' dyno on El Nino that they showed, but I can't be sure.
graeme alderson 30 Apr 2003
In reply to midgets of the world unite: Stu, its a bloody slab man, you will have to use your feet.
simon 30 Apr 2003
In reply to limbimftangftangolebiscuitbarrel: what was the deal with jumping off his ledge? How far down was that and how come he didn't snap his back, I know ropes are dynamic, but that looked along way!
James Jackson 30 Apr 2003
In reply to Gareth:

Fraid not.
OP Sam 30 Apr 2003
In reply to simon:
> (In reply to limbimftangftangolebiscuitbarrel) what was the deal with jumping off his ledge? How far down was that and how come he didn't snap his back, I know ropes are dynamic, but that looked along way!

The forces generated are much the same as if you were to fall 20ft. The longer the fall, the more rope you have, the more elongation or stretch you have; ie elongation is directly proportional to length. Acceleration is constant, Force = mass x acceleration. (Don't get confused between force & momentum, which is a function of velocity)
In reply to graeme alderson:
> (In reply to midgets of the world unite) Stu, its a bloody slab man, you will have to use your feet.

Not if I use the lady's feet! Plus, her big arse keeps her centre of gravity down - we should be quids in. All i have to do is learn how to jumar.
DaveH 30 Apr 2003
In reply to The Fat One:

>
> [...] this type of film is for the benefit of the sofa surfers in TV land but to climbers, the hype was a little ott.

Yes, I did notice that when he was filmed in his car, he was described as being with 2 friends....yet one of them appeared to be Johnny Dawes!. Chris Bonnington, on the other hand, got a namecheck....

hang 'em high 30 Apr 2003
i did like the

'if you see a police man, shove that down yer knickers'

as he hands female passenger a large bag of herbal smoking mixture.

then later in Ibiza when he was blatantly rolling a joint in front of the camera

I wouldnt be surprised if berghaus were a bit pissed off with that!
 duncan 30 Apr 2003
In reply to hang 'em high:
> I wouldnt be surprised if berghaus were a bit pissed off with that!

I would think berghaus were 'lovin' it' (man). The idea of sponsoring Leo must be to connect their brand with someone who is (a) a brilliant young climber [but there are dozens of them] (b) a 'charectar' [not that common]. Sounds like this documentary established both those facts with the general public. The faces of berghaus up to now (Bonners and Hinkes) are both a little, well, establishment. Leo is the ideal antidote and so he smokes a little draw...so much the better.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...