UKC

Optical migraines?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Taurig 27 Dec 2010
So I went out for a walk on my own today to burn off some of the Christmas calories, just a plod out along the West Highland Way. I'd just stopped for a break when I noticed a blurred crescent in the middle of my vision. Tried rubbing my eyes a bit, blinking etc. but it didn't do anything to help. After a few minutes, the crescent got bigger and instead of just being blurred was filled with blue and white zig zags of light. I've got to be honest, when it not only persisted but started getting more vivid, I started getting worried. I thought I was going to have a stroke or something at the age of 25, and being on my own and only half an hour of light left someone would find me face down in the snow the next morning!

I made tracks back sharpish, and soon another crescent that was like a blue-green-red spectrum appeared above the other one. After about 30 mins both of these gradually faded away, and when I got home a quick Google search has led me to the conclusion that what I had was an optical migraine. I've never heard of these before today, and I haven't had a migraine before in my life. Thankfully I seem to have had the type that isn't accompanied by pain; the visions were about 3 hours ago now and while admittedly I've taken paracetamol as a precaution I feel fine. I'm just wondering if anyone else experiences these? If so, how often do you have them? Did they start off without involving pain but progressed into visions followed by migraine? Have you had them since you were a kid, or did they start later in life?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Slugain Howff 27 Dec 2010
In reply to MarkDH08:

Sounds like it!! As a youth they would culminate in extreme pain and nausea. Now the pain is mostly gone and what is left is an optical episode lasting 30-45 minutes and a washed out feeling after.
Sometimes 3 or 4 week. Sometimes none for months.
Most memorable episode was some years ago on leading the crux pitch on the Needle on Shelterstone.
Have tried to identify triggers. Stress and tiredness ticks the box. Also cut out all citrus products but that's maybe just an imagined catalyst.
Hope you don't have another.
Colin
 dioliahary 27 Dec 2010
In reply to MarkDH08: I started getting something similiar to what you describe about 10 years ago and it comes back occasionally, seem to get a headache afterwards,it started later in life and they last about half an hour, don't get them as much now. I put it down to low sugar or stress..something like that. Hope this helps.
 John Lavelle 27 Dec 2010
In reply to MarkDH08:

I've had these for over 30 years, started in my late teens, never any lasting damage. Starts with a blank spot in the vision, followed by the glittery crescent, which (in my case anyway) gradually expands until it reaches the periphery of my vision, then disappears. This usually takes exactly 30 minutes. Sometimes another one will follow straight away but this is rare. They are not in any way painful, in fact I rarely have headaches of nay description.

Triggers include bright lights shone directly into the eye, stress, hunger. Probably the same things which trigger regular migraine, (which I've never suffered from).

They occur quite infrequently but in "clusters", I can go without one for months then have a few in a fortnight or so. Oddly, they even occur while I'm asleep - I've woken part way through one at times.

Maggie 27 Dec 2010
In reply to MarkDH08:

Yeah, I get these from time to time. Sometimes they start as you describe, and sometimes more a flickering on the periphery of my vision, which then narrows down, until the flickering obscures everything - I get really odd blind spots in my vision (the first time this happened, I found I couldn't see all the letters on a car number plate, which made me realise something odd must be going on!). Once it gets to that point, it normally stops quite quickly - lasts no longer than 20 mins or so - then I get the headache

I first got these in my early 30s (mid 40s now), which coincided with being diagnosed with low blood sugar levels - so, for me, I think the two are connected. I don't always get a really bad headache after the flickering stops, but there's often some residual dull pain for a while - paracetamol normally deals with it.
 liz j 27 Dec 2010
In reply to MarkDH08:
Yes, I get these very occasionally. I don't get a headache that would normally be accociated with a normal migrain headache, although sometime I will get a slight pain behind my eyes afterwards. I didn't get the first one until I was in my late 20's. The normal trigger for me, unfortunately, is either strenous exercise, stress, or climbing! Infact, I have had more whilst or just after climbing than any other trigger. I can only assume that this is to do with exercise in a stressful situation. Also, holding my head back whilst belaying probably constricts the blood vessels. I've also given up eating bananas, as I had a couple after eating them, and they are a recognised trigger food.

Like you, the first time it happened, I was scared. I've been lucky that I am only affected rarely, the last time being after a route in sept 2009. The visual effects, whilst nice at a rave party are not very pleasant, but I'm grateful that I don't get a full blown headache, although I will sometimes feel slighty sick.

Hope you feel better.
In reply to MarkDH08:

I've had them on and off for around the last 10 years. I can't think of anything that triggers them off. Like you it starts with a tiny twinkling like 2 sides of triangle in centre of vision that gradually expands to fill vision till it's big enough to disappear. When it's in centre of vision I can't read print or see clearly what is directly in front of me.
The transition between it starting and it clearing my vision used to take as little as an hour or much more but now it takes 10 to 15 minutes. After it's gone I'm left with a nagging headache that is more painful if I cough or sneeze or bend over. This constant nagging headache can last up 3 days.
Haven't had any recently but have had 2 or 3 in one day, have also woken up in morning with same headache* so I possibly also have them while asleep. Sorry but no advice as mine happen so inconsistently that I have no idea how they occur.

Just remembered a migraine I had over 30 years ago, I'd been stuck in a car for couple of hours, arrived home and was very thirsty, grabbed first thing available which was Coca Cola. Drank quite a bit and within a few seconds had a massive version of the headaches/visual disturbance you and I have. Sparkling lights like fireworks accompanied with an extremely painful headache. Have never drunk that crap since.

* Not a hangover.

Pete Davis 27 Dec 2010
In reply to MarkDH08: This is almost certainly "migraine with aura". The optical phenomenon that you describe beautifully is a "scintillating scotoma"

Most of what the other respondents have written is accurate too. If you have further episodes though, or the episodes become more frequent, more severe or change in character then you should consult a neurologist (either through your GP or privately)
OP Taurig 27 Dec 2010
Thanks for all the replies and advice. I feel better about it knowing that it seems fairly common, six or seven replies in a hour or so means it can't be that rare! Not really sure what could have triggered it but I suppose low blood sugar might have played a part; I was trying to burn off the food I've been eating for no reason for the past week so only had a nibble on a biscuit during an hour and half of walking/sliding about in slush.

Any more anecdotes, I would be pleased to hear them.
 JLS 27 Dec 2010
In reply to MarkDH08:

Similar to other posters, I've occasionally had these with no pain. First was when I was about sixteen after which I never had another for ten years. I'm 44 now and have only suffered about five in total over the years. A half hour snooze seems to sort things out. Like others have said stress, exercise, dehydration perhaps are possible triggers but as it's so infrequent it's difficult to say with any certainty.
 Chris Harris 27 Dec 2010
In reply to MarkDH08:

I've had a few. No common trigger & no pain following.

My mother, on the other hand, has suffered badly with migraines over the years - mostly preceded by an aura.

Paddy Duncan 27 Dec 2010
In reply to MarkDH08:
Mine started as what seemed like a faul line in the centre of vision, then changed to half-vision, I could only see the left hand side whatever I looked at. Then it changed to a very bad headache behind the eyes, and then from that to nausea, ending in throwing up. If the throwing up was successfully resisted, I would feel quite ill for at least 24 hours; otherwise I'd be fine immediately.
I had them from mid teens to early 20s, then they tailed off to nothing, althought the squiggle in the vision has occured on a couple of occasions in the last decade.
 nniff 27 Dec 2010
In reply to MarkDH08:

me too, with decreasing frequency over the years fortunately. My triggers are orange juice, some particularly heady perfume/after shave (fortunately only when sniffing testers) and sudden bright lights. This last one is a right pain - spreading butter on bread in the kitchen when light is streaming through the window is a leading culprit, with light flickering off the knife - it catches me unawares, whereas the others I can just avoid.

Sometimes a headache that day, but more typically the following day. Ibuprofen as soon as possible, when going to bed and in the morning helps.
jackers 28 Dec 2010
In reply to MarkDH08: I used to get this as a kid, accompanied by a splitting headache. My vision would be so bad that I couldn't function properly, and the accompanying headache meant the only thing I could do would be lie down in a dark room for several hours. I used to get them after horse riding, swimming or cycling - all activities where I had something pressing tight on my head, and they tended to happen when I was dehydrated......as soon as I worked that out and made sure I didn't get dehydrated, I stopped getting them........

.........until 12 years later, when I started climbing. I get them every so often - like so many others I can go a year without, then get several in a few months. Each time the trigger has been climbing at the indoor wall. I think it is caused by belaying, as you are constantly looking up at bright lights, and having a cricked neck can't help.

If I feel a migraine coming on these days I down a coke (normally hate the stuff but the sugar rush does the job), drink plenty of water and take some brufen and they seem to go away before they get painful.

Hope that helps.
 Jon Read 28 Dec 2010
In reply to MarkDH08:
I've had these occasionally since mid-20s, mostly without bad pain, culminating in a bad week a few years ago when I finally identified that it was pretty much triggered by eye-strain (and stress). Started wearing glasses for driving and have never had them since. May be worth getting your eyes tested?
 fried 28 Dec 2010
In reply to MarkDH08:

I started getting this about 10 years ago. I had loads of tests and I was dianosed with nothing, all very scary at the time. I eventually found out that it was migraine aura through that great medical institution; family and wikipedia. Loss of the edges of my vision which lasts almost exactly 40mins followed by numb gums and finger passing from one side of my body to the other, then a not too bad headache, feeling 'washed out' for a couple of days and a bit hypersensitive to light. It hasn't happened for about 3 years now, I've never found what the trigger is.

It's a lot less scary when you know what it is. The first time I was sure I'd be dead by the end of the week.

Exercise apparently keeps it under control.
 Dominion 28 Dec 2010
In reply to MarkDH08:

Had a migraine pretty much as you describe starting at about 9am on Boxing Day. Took some paracetamol, and also threw up a little bit.

Still got a headache now.

Haven't had a migraine since I started wearing glasses back when I was about 15 (so more than 30 yrs ago) when I used to get them a lot because of eyestrain.

No idea what caused this one, though.
OP Taurig 28 Dec 2010
In reply to Jon Read:
> (In reply to MarkDH08)
> I've had these occasionally since mid-20s, mostly without bad pain, culminating in a bad week a few years ago when I finally identified that it was pretty much triggered by eye-strain (and stress). Started wearing glasses for driving and have never had them since. May be worth getting your eyes tested?

That could be an idea, I haven't had an eye test since primary school. Generally my eyesight doesn't cause me any problems at all, but at the end of a long day at work (especially if I've been on a computer a lot) then it gets slightly less clear.
 Sean Bell 28 Dec 2010
In reply to MarkDH08:

Ive had similar since about the age of 15, but the difference is that the 'squiggles' of lights would start in my peripheral vision and work their way in to the centre over the course of about 30mins. They happen very infrequently now, maybe once a year at most and If I take paracetamol as soon as they start and go for a lie down it seems to fade.
I first suffered during my exams at school.Latest one came on whilst working hard on editing hundreds photos to a tight deadline, which could be related to eye-strain and stress all in one I guess.

Im surprised by the response aswell, I thought it was quite rare to have the visuals but not the headaches that are so common with migraine.
 Jim Fraser 28 Dec 2010
In reply to MarkDH08:

Only ever had one experience of migraine and it was of the optical variety about 20 years ago.

Kaleidoscope effect in one eye, closing down to a darkened tunnel and the other eye having a slight Kaleidoscope effect. Scary stuff. I was just round the corner from an opticians at the time so I went in there and he was very helpful.

I had helped get a car with a broken fuel pump started the previous evening and had swallowed some petrol. I have been very careful when siphoning fuel during the intervening years.
Hillwalker 29 Dec 2010
In reply to MarkDH08: I have had these episodes since my teenage years, (now in my 60s), exactly as you and others describe them. I used to have them about once a year but in recent years they have increased tenfold. On occasions a bad episode results in paraesthesia (loss of all feeling) down one side, usually arm and hand with no feeling at all in hand and fingers, but sometimes affecting one side of the face, jaw and tongue (like a dental anaesthetic). On two occasions I have been left unable to form words and the attempts at speech are just gibberish. In early years I always experienced severe headache, but in recent years it is less so.

Trigger factors are very elusive, but I concur with others that I suspect exertion (espcially strenuous upper body work), dehydration and low blood sugar are involved. I also (along with my brother) have a very strong suspicion of bright dazzling lights, like unexpected reflections are involved.

All very fascinating but I try not to worry too much about it, except when it happens at altitudes above 20,000ft, which it did a few years ago!
 ben b 29 Dec 2010
In reply to MarkDH08: Gosh, there's a lot of it about!
I have occasional optical only migraines; no pain, no nausea, but widespread scintillations in the periphery of my right field of vision. I used to feel pretty washed out with them but fortunately only for 30 mins or so. Given that both my parents have had retinal detachments I'm a little cautious about visual symptoms, but the symptoms have been consistent all the way through.

Sleep deprivation (always part of the job in training) was a factor and it did happen at altitude a couple of times (4000m in La Paz and about 5500m in Zanskar). Basically after a bad night on call, slightly dry and very tired, there was a reasonable chance of it starting up. Slowed me down in outpatients a bit when it happened

Hope this helps. I was certainly intrigued to see how many others got this - more replies than I was expecting!

Cheers

dr b
 gingerkate 29 Dec 2010
In reply to MarkDH08:
I'm another one, been getting them for the last few years. My symptoms are very like Maggie's (flickering that starts at the periphery of my vision, gradually shutting my vision down to a small patch of normality surrounded by a sea of jiggling stars... only that sounds quite nice, and it isn't). I don't get any pain, during or after. The triggers for me are lack of sleep plus stress.
matt.bee 30 Dec 2010
In reply to MarkDH08: Sounds just like the start of the migraines I get. @Floaty' vision with a blank spot in the centre gradually spreading out over half an hour or so to fill most of my vision. If I get my Sanomigran and some more painkillers in me during this period I can reduce the pain. My left arm, face and hand then go completely numb. This is followed by a massive, throbbing headachce sometimes lasting for 12 hours or more. Last one took Diazepam to get me to sleep after 10 hours of it. I then feel washed out for a day or so.

Started having them in my early 20s when training to be a nurse. First one was on the bus home from my first ward placement and I thought I was dying!
My triggers are similar to many here; sudden light/reflections, tiredness following hard physical activity and one foodstuff I've identified is strong cheese! Getting glasses earlier this year has reduced frequency from one or two a month to 3 in the last 6 months. although those 3 were amongst the worst I've had.

Have had brain scans, loads of different drugs including andidepressants but nothing seems to work. Guess it's just gods way of punishing me for being a Yorkshireman and living in Hampshire!
 Jim Braid 30 Dec 2010
In reply to MarkDH08: Fascinating thread. I had my first migraine around age 12/13 (I'm now 66). The ones in my teens were the most intense with big black spots coming towards me as if you had rubbed your eyes hard then opened them. After this there was an intense headache followed in the worst cases by violent sickness. Headaches gradually eased over a few days but were still extremely painful if I coughed or sneezed. I did have some absolutely foul tasting tablets to take at the first onset but never thought they did much good. I was advised that the migraines would decrease in intensity with age and that has been pretty much correct. I recently read that they could be linked to hormone levels which would fit with my lifetime pattern.

Where I've been able to identify a trigger it has been bright light especially an unexpected flash or reflection. Sometimes it feels as if the light goes right through my eye to reach a trigger at the back. Other times it can be from black on white print on a glossy magazine.

Nowadays when I get them they last around 25-30 minutes and start from a small circle expanding into a jagged shimmering line forming almost a complete circle. Very similar to those described by others above. The headaches are much less severe nowadays.

Used to get them every few months or so. A few years ago I was offered my first winter flu jag which was coupled with the pneumonia jag. This seemed to trigger a whole series of migraines with 6 in 4 days. Never before had more than one in a day. Was left feeling really washed-out. When I mentioned it at my next jag (a year later)the nurse had never heard of such a reaction and could not understand it. Subsequent jags haven't had that effect. If anything I get the optical disturbance slightly more frequently now than I did say 10 or 20 years ago.

It's been good to read of so many similar sufferers and empathise and understand what they are going through.

As for advice well all I can offer is the obvious and simplistic - try to avoid known triggers. It's just something I've got to live with.
 alan edmonds 30 Dec 2010
In reply to MarkDH08:

I first got one in my teens leading on Welsh limestone in a sunny glare.

Had a phase of recurrence in my 40's which I put down to sudden glare & craning of the neck. Once memorably almost certainly triggered by driving down a typical French road lined with Poplars causing alternate brightness and shadow.

They have never lasted more than 30minutes and never accompanied with a headache.
 jkarran 30 Dec 2010
In reply to MarkDH08:

I get similar symptoms, I'm 29 and I've had them since some time in my teenage years. I almost never get pain with them and when I do it's in my eyes, never a headache.

Mine usually start with a soft crescent of bile-green translucent light that gradually converges into a full circle centre of my vision. Getting promptly into total darkness for a few minutes to half an hour usually sorts it, well, that and some liquids. If I ignore it sometimes gets worse with jagged halos of primary colours or more often something like tunnel vision, I can see through it if I focus but it's distracting and unpleasant.

The most reliable trigger if I'm honest is hangover. Dehydration and tiredness are probably the main problems but stress does seem to increase the frequency. The thing that sets them off is going from light to dark (or vice versa) quickly or 'weird' light conditions (sun through mist, low contrast snow, yellow-green glinting sun off wet roads).

I've just got used to it since it happens fairly infrequently and is most of the time easily managed. Obviously your best bet is go see your GP if it's just suddenly started, it may be a symptom of something else. I should probably take my own advice.

jk

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...