UKC

NEWS: Pete Whitaker Flashes Grit E8

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 04 Jan 2011
Pete Whittaker and Tom Randall, 4 kbPete Whittaker has flashed the E8 gritstone arete of The Power of the Darkside at Bank Quarry, Upper Matlock Quarries, Derbyshire.

The route, an unprotected arete first climbed by James Pearson in 2005 and repeated back in April 2010 by Tom Randall, features "strangely insecure and powerful moves with no protection above an appalling landing".

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=59674

Jonny2vests 04 Jan 2011
In reply to UKC News:

The boy is unstoppable.
 Jamie B 04 Jan 2011
In reply to UKC News:

Exemplary. Not only a great bit of climbing but absolute transparency about ethics employed. Hat's off to you Pete.
 RockSteady 04 Jan 2011
In reply to UKC News:

Crankin! Well done!

So who features on the elite list of E8 flashers?
 Dax 04 Jan 2011
In reply to Jamie Bankhead:

Yeah that's what I thought too.

Bet he's on a high after doing that .. awesome.
 Franco Cookson 04 Jan 2011
In reply to UKC News:

Great effort after a great run of form. Top notch.
BuffaloBill 04 Jan 2011
In reply to UKC News: I would have thought it would be more difficult to flash an e8 after abseil inspection than it would be to flash it after watching all the moves done correctly.
Not a dig at Pete cause an e8 flash is amazing however you slice it.
Just saying to ukc that I would have thought an abseil inspection flash is more elite than watching the full sequence of moves.
In reply to wando77: depends on the route. Abseil inspection means you know exactly what you're going for. Abseil inspection is still more or less a flash, as long as you don't touch owt.
 Jamie B 04 Jan 2011
In reply to Franco Cookson:

Do you really think that fingers dont occasionally brush against holds during abseil "inspections"? (insert smiley)
In reply to Jamie Bankhead:
> (In reply to Franco Cookson)
>
> Do you really think that fingers dont occasionally brush against holds during abseil "inspections"? (insert smiley)

Do you care? I don't. When I'm not shit I may worry about how to cheat to appear better than I am. Pete doesn't need to, cause he can flash E8- as is evident.
 justin c 05 Jan 2011
In reply to UKC News:

Nutter ! whats up with the youth of today

He is a lovely lad with immense talent and bravery !

Well done Pete !

simes303 05 Jan 2011
In reply to Franco Cookson:

Is E8- harder than E7+ ?
 Chris F 06 Jan 2011
In reply to UKC News: It's a superb effort. Is there a photo of this route about anywhere?
 Niall Grimes 06 Jan 2011
In reply to Chris F: It's a really full-on looking route, a big, sharp arete above what I remember as a pretty bad, quarry-floor rubbly landing. Maybe not, can't remember for sure, bur flat grass it ain't.
 justin c 06 Jan 2011
In reply to Niall Grimes:

u must have a snap in your arsenal of photos niall ? heheh

Hope ya well mate !

Offwidth 06 Jan 2011
In reply to Chris F: Route 17 p.318 in the new Froggatt guide. Its a weird chamfered thing. Landing's rocky but not terrible. I wonder if the E9 project next door is getting looked at, or the unclimbed groove in-between.
 Adam Long 06 Jan 2011
In reply to Offwidth:

The 'E9 project' got done over xmas by James Pearson.
 GrahamD 06 Jan 2011
In reply to Adam Long:

Good to know that James is still as motivated (if slightly lower profile at the moment)
 Chris F 07 Jan 2011
In reply to Offwidth:
> (In reply to Chris F) Route 17 p.318 in the new Froggatt guide.

I know it may be a surprise, but I haven't bought it. What with the Peak being a few hundred miles away, and me having two guides covering Froggatt already, and not having climbed there in the last five years.
 Offwidth 07 Jan 2011
In reply to Chris F:

No critisism implied, you can always browse in the bookshops if you know where it is!

In reply to Adam

Cheers, I'd looked at his blog recently and missed that completely...was I blind or are E9s no longer significant

2nd ascents then??
 Simon Caldwell 07 Jan 2011
In reply to Offwidth:
I think he's still behind with his blogging, the last entry is from before Christmas though only published yesterday.
 Offwidth 07 Jan 2011
In reply to Toreador: I can see that; he seems to have been very busy and some fools just take potshots, like saying he spends too much time in airports!
 Chris F 07 Jan 2011
In reply to Offwidth:
> (In reply to Chris F)
>
> No critisism implied, you can always browse in the bookshops if you know where it is!

Unlikely to be in shops up here for a good while either, annoyingly.
 Stuart S 07 Jan 2011
In reply to Chris F:

We've got a copy of it that you can borrow for a browse at some point.
In reply to Offwidth: maybe it's not E9... hence the lack of fanfare.
 Adam Long 08 Jan 2011
In reply to Tom Randall - Lattice Training:

If I was James I don't reckon I'd be grading it unless there was a gun to my head!
 Offwidth 10 Jan 2011
In reply to Tom Randall - Lattice Training:

Irrespective, its hard climbing and a good line with good looking moves. I didnt expect a fanfare but news would be good.
 Offwidth 10 Jan 2011
In reply to Adam Long:

I think he should stick to his honest view. Despite the fuss over The Groove's grade, one of the Peaks grand 'unclimbed lines' has fallen to him and a full second ascent is still awaited (unless I've missed that news as well).
 Chris F 10 Jan 2011
In reply to Stuart S:
> (In reply to Chris F)
>
> We've got a copy of it that you can borrow for a browse at some point.

Cheers, no rush, was just keen to see what this route looked like. did you buy it locally?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...