UKC

DMM Cirque Axe

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Stu_Brown 11 Jan 2011
Does anyone know if there is a version of the DMM Cirque Axe with a hammer instead of an adze? Also what type of grade of mixed climbing is it capable of?? Any advice geatly aprecciated, thanks
 CurlyStevo 11 Jan 2011
In reply to Stu_Brown:
> Does anyone know if there is a version of the DMM Cirque Axe with a hammer instead of an adze? Also what type of grade of mixed climbing is it capable of?? Any advice geatly aprecciated

do you already have the adze version?
 Only a hill 11 Jan 2011
In reply to Stu_Brown:
I don't think there is a version with a hammer, but the Grivel Air Tech Evolution axe comes in a hammer version and is fairly similar.
OP Stu_Brown 11 Jan 2011
In reply to CurlyStevo: Yes I already have a 60cm Adze version.
 CurlyStevo 11 Jan 2011
In reply to Stu_Brown:
you could consider pairing it with a more technical axe say a DMM fly, this is quite commonly done and gives you a better range of options. Later you may end up buying the other tech axe to make a pair.
OP Stu_Brown 11 Jan 2011
In reply to CurlyStevo: Thanks, ill look into that. Would the difference in size matter? You dont seem to find many tech axes at 60cm??
 Only a hill 11 Jan 2011
In reply to Stu_Brown:
Difference in size won't be an issue on easy to moderate routes. I often climb with a 65cm axe and a 50cm hammer on ice up to and including Grade III, and I think it's an excellent combination with many advantages.
OP Stu_Brown 12 Jan 2011
cheers for the advice people, ive decided on the DMM Fly
 Milesy 12 Jan 2011
In reply to Only a hill:
> (In reply to Stu_Brown)
> Difference in size won't be an issue on easy to moderate routes. I often climb with a 65cm axe and a 50cm hammer on ice up to and including Grade III, and I think it's an excellent combination with many advantages.

I was reading Summit Fever by Andrew Greig and they were climbing Mustagh Tower and the specifically mention using one longer, and one shorter technical ice tool. 1984?

I am not comfortable using my fly as a walking axe and thinking about carrying three axes.

Only a hill 13 Jan 2011
In reply to Milesy:
I don't think there's really any advantage in carrying three axes, to be honest. The key is to make sure your axe pairing is versatile enough. I really think that something like the Jorasses (straight shaft as long as you like, but reverse curved pick) paired with your short technical hammer of choice is the best way forward for easy to moderate routes. I have happily climbed ice routes of Grade III with this combo and in fact found it easier than with two Alp Wings, because the Jorasses is a far superior mountaineering axe.

Worth pointing out that the Jorasses has been re-released in a slightly updated format:
http://www.grivel.com/products/ice/ice_axes/65-jorasses_20

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...