UKC

Previous salary in job applications

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Green Porridge 13 Jan 2011
How relevant to employers find "previous salary" when looking through new job applications? The reason I ask is, I'm applying for jobs at the moment, and many ask for "previous salary". For what do employers use this? The thing is, I currently work approx. 2 days a week, and would like to get a full time job. I'm sensibly paid (considering how many hours I work) at the moment, but of course, if someone offered my this amount for a full time position, it would be ridiculous. Do employers rule out applicants if they were paid too much or too little in their previous jobs? It sounds like what the employer really wants to know is how much you are expecting to be paid, but instead of asking that, they try and guess, which seems like a recipe for misunderstandings.

Any help appreciated.

Tim

thebigdon 13 Jan 2011
In reply to Green Porridge: you could state your equivalent full time salary and just point out that you only work part time right now (i am in the same position and this is what i would do)

i think they just want a rough idea of 1)what salary to offer you and 2) if you currently earn £10k and apply for a £50k then they will bin you right away.

Fluvial 13 Jan 2011
In reply to Green Porridge:
They basically can get an idea of whether they can pay you less than the next chap. Find out what the standard is and put a couple of quid less, therefore they will offer you the standard and it's a start.
 Gav M 13 Jan 2011
In reply to fozmeister:

> Find out what the standard is and put a couple of quid less

They will of course find out when they see your tax paperwork.

DANNYdjb 13 Jan 2011
I have interviewed so many people who come with unrealistic salary expectations for the job they are applying for, and yes also to get a general idea of those expectations prior to interview to me makes sense.
Saying that we dont do it, we always ask on interview.
Dan.
 The New NickB 13 Jan 2011

You could pro rata it.
 imkevinmc 13 Jan 2011
In reply to Green Porridge: When a part time job is advertised, the salary is quoted "pro-rata FTE" Therefore the salary you earn is the equivalent of the full time equivalent. The fact that you work part time is a separate issue. It can be a life style choice that you work part-time, or are oblidged to work part-time.
However, that's the rate that's relevant to the job you're doing now, not the one you're applying for
Wiley Coyote2 14 Jan 2011

Basically, assuming it's a job with a spread of pay levels rather than a single fixed rate,it tells the employer where they can start the bidding to give you enough of a pay rise to lure you in without paying more than they need. And yes, it may be a factor in who they take on. Only a very dim employer would take on a muppet just because he is cheap but it may be a factor in deciding between two candidates of roughly equal calibre, experience etc, especially these days with budgets being squeezed.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...