UKC

Dave MacLeod Rhapsody Shocker

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Yanis Nayu 05 Feb 2011
Watched E11 again today, and the missus took an interest when she realised it was a bit more than power screaming and beanie-wearing.

After watching an hour or so of dedication, devotion, obsession, monster falls and balletic climbing, Dave finally links it and years of effort and frustration surface as he screams with relief and takes a few staggering steps to a short, sloping little headwall at the top of the crag. He's done it! Finally!

At which point my missus says "He hasn't finished yet!"

I don't think I'll be showing her any sport climbing films..
 whispering nic 05 Feb 2011
In reply to wayno265: Like
 ian clarke 05 Feb 2011
In reply to wayno265: you should take her to see it in real life its more over hanging than i looked on the film when i saw the film
OP Yanis Nayu 06 Feb 2011
In reply to ian clarke: She'd probably prefer the Maldives...
silo 06 Feb 2011
In reply to wayno265: keep show her climbing films and it will be a shore fire way of getting divorced!
 jimjimjim 06 Feb 2011
In reply to silo: i think fires on the beach are romantic...
 stewieatb 06 Feb 2011
In reply to jimjimjim:
> (In reply to silo) i think fires on the beach are romantic...

There's a few been lit under Dumby over the years, no?
 glennofsheff 06 Feb 2011
In reply to wayno265: you should show your missus Echo Wall , the part where dave and wife Claire are shovelling snow away from the top of the crag to help dry the route, she will love that ;0
Jim C 06 Feb 2011
In reply to ian clarke:

Not Dave, but Sonnie Trotter over from Canada on the same route (Red hat) the chap in Blue is he photographer mate, also a good climber)
Jim C 06 Feb 2011
In reply to Jim C:

This time with the link
http://www.flickr.com/photos/22776031@N05/sets/72157612949109560/

> (In reply to ian clarke)
>
> Not Dave, but Sonnie Trotter over from Canada on the same route (Red hat) the chap in Blue is he photographer mate, also a good climber)

tony 06 Feb 2011
In reply to wayno265:
> Watched E11 again today, and the missus took an interest when she realised it was a bit more than power screaming and beanie-wearing.
>
> After watching an hour or so of dedication, devotion, obsession, monster falls and balletic climbing, Dave finally links it and years of effort and frustration surface as he screams with relief and takes a few staggering steps to a short, sloping little headwall at the top of the crag. He's done it! Finally!
>
> At which point my missus says "He hasn't finished yet!"
>
If it's any help, Dave did actually go to the very top of Dumbarton Rock. It's only a walk from the top of Rhapsody up to trig point, so it didn't really need to feature in the film.
 mattrm 06 Feb 2011
In reply to glennofsheff:
> (In reply to wayno265) you should show your missus Echo Wall , the part where dave and wife Claire are shovelling snow away from the top of the crag to help dry the route, she will love that ;0

Or the part where they're both talking about the chance of Dave dying if he'd taken a leader fall after a certain point. Lovely film... That's why I never watch it with wife or family around.

CorR 06 Feb 2011
In reply to wayno265:
Does she mean that he has more hard climbing to do in his life? Is she being deep and philosophical?
OP Yanis Nayu 06 Feb 2011
In reply to CorR: No! She meant he was celebrating before actually "topping-out". The concept of comparative difficulty seemed to temporarily elude her!
 Mick Ward 07 Feb 2011
In reply to wayno265:

Wilf Noyce (old school) once did a route on the Cromlech with Whillans (then new school). After finishing it, Noyce insisted that they continued to the top of the mountain. Whillans grudgingly went along with it.

Mick
Jim C 07 Feb 2011
In reply to JLS:
> (In reply to Jim C)
>
> http://m.flickr.com/#/photos/22776031@N05/3223088074/sizes/m/
>
> That's me that is...
The link seems to be for a list of options, no you !

JLS 07 Feb 2011
In reply to Jim C:

Well the link gives me one of your pictures with a guy in a grey t-shirt on Persistence of Vision which is actually me climbing. It's a good picture, shame it's at an easy bit rather than when I'm under pressure.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...