UKC

Lofoten Midges

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Anyone know what the situation is with Midges on Lofoten. My mate (who has never been) insists they are a right nuisance in June but ok in July August.

Also any suggestions about good places to stay. Would quite like a cheap cabin type place but lot of the places look quite expensive. Would also consider camping but would prefer somewhere with showers etc rather than the wild camping.

Any suggestions would be helpful thanks
 Aigen 07 Feb 2011
In reply to Kipper-Phil Smith: Went there last summer mid June. Its moskitos are the problem. We only had them on the last day, but they did bite alot. I dont think it matters if its June or July they will be there waiting. Always have your net with you even put it in your pocket when you are on route. With regards accomadation. First off get the rock fax guide book. It has all info you need. Accomadation is not as expensive as everything else. A cabin is about £40 each per night. We camped for free at Kala Beach but if you dont have a car camp at Gandalf.
 TobyA 07 Feb 2011
In reply to Aigen: I can't remember ever seeing any midges or mosquitos, although my trips have all been in August I think.
 GarethSL 07 Feb 2011
In reply to Kipper-Phil Smith:

As Toby says it depends on the time of year. Early summer June/Early July I have found there are generally none unless you go looking for them, as you get closer to the end of July they can be the most demoralising thing known to man.

However my experience of these has been in more inland and at lower altitudes in forests and soggy mountain tops. Lofoten being more coastal shouldn't be too bad if its windy and especially around Svolvaer or Henningsvaer.

Ps. The mozzies will eat you through your clothes, the black fly's are just something else..! And they like merino and leather!
In reply to Kipper-Phil Smith: It's a very breezy place and there's not a lot of undergrowth, so I doubt they'll be too bad. We were there end of May/ start of June and I don't remember any!
 TonyB 08 Feb 2011

Also there end of May beginning of June and didn't see a single midge or mosquito on the islands. Lots in Sweden on the drive there though.
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 08 Feb 2011

We have been up there in late May, June, July, August and early September and I don't recall being bitten once!

Sandvika http://www.rockfax.com/areas/lofoten/accommodation.html and Orsvagvaer camping (next to each other) have good facilities and a range of cabins. We tend to camp when its sunny and go indoors when it rains. You can usually get a discount on a cabin if you book for more than a couple of nights.

This gallery might inspire you: http://www.pbase.com/chris_craggs/lofoten&page=all

Enjoy

Chris
 HeMa 08 Feb 2011

Midges are not a problem. Too windy for 'em .

Horse flies and sand flies can be a nuisance, though.

But generally speakin' Lofoten ain't bad at all in July nor August.

Oh, as for wild camping... Kalle is a good place to camp (water tap + loo), and you can get showers at the nearby camping ground for a few NOK (I think it was Sandvika camping, or the one before it on the same road... just ask at the reception... Oh, and it was cheaper than at Klättre Cafe, the shower I mean).
 TobyA 08 Feb 2011
In reply to Hvit ut:

> However my experience of these has been in more inland and at lower altitudes in forests and soggy mountain tops.

Agreed - that can be pretty hellish, but it can be amazing how limited it is. In Finland I've camped on a lake beach; maybe only 15 mtrs between the water and the forest - no problem, but walk 5 metres into the forest and it you could hardly breath for the amount of mozzies. Disgusting. But with all the normal camping in Lofoten being open and near the sea I can't imagine its ever a problem.
 lex 08 Feb 2011

Been there late July and early August (different years). There were occasions when it was calm and when out of direct sunshine (e.g. the sun was behind the mountains i.e. "night time") the mossies were a nightmare. A few horseflies but they provided more sport than annoyance. Def take a net with you at all times.

We also had a week on an island to the S of Bodo, possibly Fugloya - can't quite remember. Was interesting to see the difference in mossies between islands. On Fugloya they were smaller, faster and quieter, on Lofoten they were bigger, slower and noisier, so easier to get, but more painful if one got through the defences.

Have an excellent time,

Cheers

Lex
In reply to Chris Craggs:
thanks Chris
Re the camping can you usually just turn up on the sites and if you want a cabin just ask when your there rather than book months in advance
Is that correct
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 08 Feb 2011

They fill up on a daily basis, most folks seem to arrive late, stay one night and leave early. They are also busier when the weather is poor. The cheapest ones are pretty basic - power and a fridge - but all the sites have a cooking area and a lounge as well.

Typical mid-sized cabin (sleeps 4) http://www.pbase.com/chris_craggs/image/56995495

Chris

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...