UKC

Job App help

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
khumbu 11 Feb 2011
Hi all,

I'm just in the process of applying for a job with the NSPCC and could do with canvassing some opinion as to what exactly is being referred to in the person specification. It's the usual scenario - provide evidence of your skills/knowledge in reference to certain criteria. One of the criteria is as follows: "The ability to contribute to system scoping and design, adding value to the development of technical business solutions."

What do you think that means in layman's terms, so to speak? It sounds a bit like ridiculous jargon (blue-sky thinking etc) to me, but I can't cut through that and ascertain what they are after exactly?

Any help much appreciated,

Thanks,

K
KevinD 11 Feb 2011
In reply to khumbu:
> What do you think that means in layman's terms, so to speak? It sounds a bit like ridiculous jargon (blue-sky thinking etc) to me, but I can't cut through that and ascertain what they are after exactly?

The depressing thing is it actually makes sense to me.
i would read that as helping come up with the requirements for custom software (although the vague technical business solutions could mean anything from software through to a internal telephone network).

System scope:
When starting on building a website (for example) you need to define what that website should do at a high level eg it needs to have a forum or just be a site for press releases etc.
This then gets used to determine whether you have met the aims of the project or not.

Design
is a bit more weird. That is normally applied, for technology, to coming up with the how of meeting the requirement. So exactly how you are going to hang the website together.
It may be that they mean working on the detailed requirements so exactly what would be displayed on the pages (or possibly how easy it will be to add or remove items).

Added value is just management waffle for not being a waste of space.

"technical business solutions" using a technology to deal with a particular problem.
khumbu 11 Feb 2011
In reply to dissonance:

Thank you for the response, that was very helpful. If I get the job, I owe you a beer or seven.
 birdie num num 11 Feb 2011
In reply to khumbu:
Jargon Pah! Just tell them that you love children. But you couldn't eat a whole one.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...