UKC

Ice Axe Length??

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Scallywaggon 15 Feb 2011
How do you know which length of ice axe to buy?

Im about 5ft 4inch and not sure what to get, want a low grade technical axe that i can use for easy winter grades and apline stuff.
 brianblock 15 Feb 2011
In reply to Scallywaggon:

from your hand to your ankle bone is a good rule. probably about 55cm for you
 Jim Walton 16 Feb 2011
In reply to Scallywaggon: My wife is 5'3 and she likes 55cm, she's tried my 60 and 50 and finds the 55cm suits her best.

If I could be so bold as to recommend a few I would say (these all have curved picks as opposed to drop/banana picks);

If you can find any of these on bay of e then buy;

Charlet Moser Guide - f*cking bombproof axe. A little heavy but you will never break it and it will last you for ever.
or
Mtn Technology Alpine Axe - same as above and just as well made. A mixture between their Mountaineering axe (adze bit) and their Technical Axe (Pick bit)
or
Mtn Technology Mountaineering Axe - Pick is more gentle than the Alpine Axe. However I've still led Grade V with one of these but I would recommend spare pants for the belay... I've had mine for over 15yrs and it has seen some real abuse but is still my fav.

Of the more modern axes

Black Diamond Venom is good. It has the added advantage of having a hammer aswell so you can make a pair. The disadvantage is kinda the same as an advantage - it is not a one piece head. The idea being that you can change the pick to a more aggressive one if you feel you need it.

Grivel Air Tech Evolution is not as comfortable in the hand as the Venom (quite a sharp head) but many people like it.

More-On 16 Feb 2011
In reply to Scallywaggon: Further to Jim's response you also need to think about how the axe swings. FWIW I find the Venom uncomfortable and too top heavy, whilst the Evo fits my hand well and I like the balance. Each to their own!
 rossn 18 Feb 2011
In reply to Scallywaggon: I think that the new Petzl Summit would be an excellent choice at 55cm. I've got an airtech evo and it is very good but as has been mentioned the head is not that comfortable in the hand but a great all round axe. I've used it in the alps and with a matching hammer up to about grade II ice or III mixed. All the other ones mentioned are really good as well and the mountain technology ones are basically an ice axe for life they are that tough.

RN

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...