UKC

Kendal running

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
XXXX 08 Mar 2011
I'm in Kendal next week without a car and am wondering if anyone has any good routes in or around the area.

I need to be at work 9 - 5 though so something I can do before or after please. Although, when I went to Skipton I got up at 5 to go and run in the Dales so not worried about early mornings if the route is good enough.

Liam M 08 Mar 2011
In reply to Eric the Red: Have a look at the Staveley/Kentmere area, just north west of Kendal. I believe Lakeland Trails do a race or two around there that may serve as inspiration for a route.
 ian clarke 08 Mar 2011
In reply to Eric the Red: if you wake up late or only want sa short run there are enough hills in kendal itself for a quick blast
 Banned User 77 08 Mar 2011
In reply to Eric the Red: http://www.kendalac.co.uk/?Welcome

I just drop the local clubs an email and see what they have on. That can normally take up a night or two.

Obvious one is Kentmere horseshoe, and that can be split into 2 manageable halfs which would be 1:00-1:30 of running.
XXXX 08 Mar 2011
In reply to Eric the Red:

Thanks all, good stuff.

Anyone know anything about early morning/late evening buses. I've found train times for the Kendal to Windermere line but the bus routes are incomprehensible.

Liam M 08 Mar 2011
In reply to Eric the Red: Cumbria county council has a reasonable bus map, but it seems the 555 is the only bus between Kendal and Ambleside regularly. That seems better in the evening than the morning, only starting at 7 but going on to past 11 (albeit infrequently in the late evening).

It may be worth checking travelline.com when you know when and where you may want to head to see if any once a day services suit your needs.
 Kelcat 08 Mar 2011
Hi - I've a few runs I do in work time - 1hr - 2hr (benefit of being the boss) - what sort of distance / terrain are you after & where will you be starting from?
 ian clarke 08 Mar 2011
In reply to Eric the Red: i would get a friend who doesnt mind getting paid for short drives anytime i lived up the lakes public transport wasa night mare
Christine 08 Mar 2011
In addition to the buses (Loughrigg is a nice route, as is Wansfell & jenkin Crag), you can also get a train from Kendal to Windermere- this stops in Staveley, too. You could also look at Helm Hill Running Club. They are based in Kendal, meet once a week and organise a winter league series of runs.
have fun!
XXXX 08 Mar 2011
In reply to Kelcat:

I'd prefer off road but if there's a decent road run i'm happy. Anything from 6 to 20 miles really! I'm not fussy.

I'll do about 10 mile on the fells in a couple of hours.

plyometrics 08 Mar 2011

If you're in town and want to keep it simple, a good route is up to scout scar. From the centre of town, run up Beast Banks (a road that runs west out of town) all the way up into Underbarrow Road until you hit the scout scar car park (circa 2.5 miles). Just after there's a gate on the left which ultimately leads to the plateau above scout scar. From there the world's your oyster, just keep running along the top of there until you've had enough then follow your nose back into kendal.

The views and surroundings are awesome and because of the perspective, the chances of you getting very lost is slim to none. Not the most hardcore route you'll ever do, but a very accessible and straightforward one that gives you a bit of everything. You could easily create a 10 miler out of that.

Either way, enjoy your time up there.
XXXX 08 Mar 2011
In reply to plyometrics:

Thanks, exactly what I'm after.

It's looking like I might have a car now after all so if anyone has any favourite Lakes routes that would be awesome. (He says moving the goalposts horrendously, sorry!)
 plyometrics 08 Mar 2011

If you've got a car, as someone else suggested - It's got to be the Kentmere Round. Circa 13 miles. It's about 20-25 mins drive from Kendal.
 Kelcat 08 Mar 2011
plyometrics run is one of my fav's.
The run from Kendal up the river & into Kentmere is another goody - you can get off the roads (paths & bridlways) for most of it - simply follow the river - it's an out & back but you can then run as far as time allows.

If you have a car & like a short but steep then up to Finsthwaite & round High Dam is pretty hard to beat for scenic & my hearts usually pumping by the time I get to the resevoir!
 Phil1919 08 Mar 2011
In reply to Eric the Red: Eric, to keep it simple on one or two nights, follow the river south out of Kendal. Its nice cross country type running. You can turn round at a number of points. You'll probably need tro look at a map. The canal follows the east side of the river, you can use this one way or the other as well. You get out of kendal quickly. The scenery is good. You don't need transport.
 Banned User 77 08 Mar 2011
In reply to Eric the Red: Thought Pete blands running store organised a weekly run?

May be worth going in there and asking if anything is going on?

Also post on the FRA forum, may be locals who'll meet up and take you for a blast in the hills.
Etak 10 Mar 2011
In reply to Eric the Red: Helm Hill runners meet on a wednsday night - 7pm at Queen Katherine School meett in the gym then go out and do an interval session for an hour - good session nice people though not overtly friendly - if you turn up everyone will just behave like you are there every week - which is a welcome of a sorts!

As others said i would head up on the scar worth having a look at a map - can do a good loop from town up on to Kunswick scar over to Helsington church down to Sizer castle down to the river and back in town about a 12 mile loop - good veiws and almost all off road.

The Helm up behind Oxenholm station is also good

With a car - well either head to Kentmere - great running not too mcuh driving - or head out of kendal the other way and try the Howgills - the calf being a good place to start (worth looking at a map)

enjoy

kate
 Phil1919 13 Mar 2011
In reply to IainRUK: I think the builders are still in at Pete Blands.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...