UKC

Pain in feet and Knees

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
The Armchair Mountaineer 22 Mar 2011
Hello all.

I start running at around Christmas time and I am now doing 10K around three times a week. I have recently increased from about 7K to the 10K. About this time my knees started hurting and the underside of my feet are really painful and feel bruised.

Even though I have cut back the running even walking any distances now causes the pain in my feet.

I don’t think I am really cut out for running and I know that I heal strike badly.. Very annoyingly the foot pain is now putting me off my climbing.

I don’t want to stop the running as I am really enjoying it, but not sure where I can seek help with this problem. I think my running shoes are ok. All my running has been on Tarmac.

Any ideas welcome. Thanks

Regards Chris
James Jackson 22 Mar 2011
In reply to The Armchair Mountaineer:

Don't run on tarmac. Seriously; fields / paths are much less jarry. You may want to see a sports physio about the knee.
 Wonrek 23 Mar 2011
In reply to The Armchair Mountaineer: A piece of advice I was recently given was that the cardio vascular system adjusts to running much quicker than do muscles/tendons/ligaments.

Meaning that it's very easy to start pushing the distances becuase you're not feeling out of breath however your legs need longer to adjust.

Have you been to a running shop and had your gait analysed? I'd highly recommend it. The one nearest myself videos you running on a treadmill so it can be replayed and you can see what's going on.

And get off the tarmac and find some trails!
Cx
The Armchair Mountaineer 23 Mar 2011
In reply to The Armchair Mountaineer:

I had them look at my running on the tread mill and they said I heel strike hard but that was normal. I still think I need this looking at properly. I have been running on tarmac mainly because its been to dark for cross country. I think getting off the road would help.

As you said I did ramp up my distance quite quickly - because my beathing ability increased and my legs are not tired during the run, but lots of pain later.

Thanks for the replies.

Regards Chris
 artif 23 Mar 2011
In reply to The Armchair Mountaineer: I think you have answered you own question. You heel strike hard.
It seems that you need to work on your running technique, you obviously have the fitness, but that may be your problem i.e. too much too soon.
If you do some short runs focusing 100% on your technique rather than setting distance/time goals.

Listen to your body.

I could suggest you try non padded shoes, to highlight your problems much quicker, so that you may alter your style accordingly. The padding in shoes hides faults in technique. Like wearing a thick pair of gloves when typing.

I'm sure the anti minimalist shoe brigade will be along shortly, decrying everything I've said though.

If it's causing permanent pain a visit to the doc is probably advisable first though.
 sparra 23 Mar 2011
In reply to artif:

... only if he knows what to focus on with his technique though.

I adjusted my gait to take much shorter, more regular strides - this takes impact off your heel and on to mid-foot more. This will take impact off your heel, and knees, and will probably speed your times up too.

But I'd agree with other previous posts - most running programmes will do one long rung and several shorter ones in a week, giving body time to recover.
 artif 23 Mar 2011
In reply to sparra:
As in everything in life, knowledge is key. Do the research, talk to people who know and try out different approaches, to find what works for you.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...