UKC

Beal Rando for top roping

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
hiphopopotamus 23 Mar 2011
I have a 30m Beal Rando 8mm twin rope that I use for lowering down short sections when canyoning - does anyone know whether this rope is suitable for use on its own for top roping, normally on sloping slabs where no large sudden falls are expected?

Obviously, only on short routes!

Monk 23 Mar 2011
In reply to hiphopopotamus:

I don't think that it would snap, but having top-ropes on a half rope before, it's not something that I would recommend. I ended up stood on the floor from about 6 metres up due to rope stretch. If using it for small kids, then I think that it would be fine.
hiphopopotamus 23 Mar 2011
In reply to Monk: Thanks for the response,

I couldn't understand why the UIAA fall rating seemed to say it would be fine, but the Beal website said it was 'forbidden' to climb with one. If it stretches a lot then maybe that explains it.

GrahamD 23 Mar 2011

It will also be a pig to control with a normal belay device. You can add extra friction if needed by adding extra karibiners in paralell with the main one on your harness.
 Monk 23 Mar 2011

It's odd isn't it? I have a 'walkers rope' for my ML. It's a properly rated 9mm half rope, but the instructions say that it shouldn't be used for abseiling or climbing. If that was true kind of negates the point of having the rope in the first place!
 kev82 23 Mar 2011

I've never used twin ropes, so this may be nonsense, but aren't they supposed to be used in a pair with both clipped through the gear. If this is true, the the second is going to have to come up on two twin ropes to take the gear out - so going up on two must be fine.

So if it's just for short crags (6m-10m) just tie into both ends, and get your second to tie into the middle with an alpine butterfly - then everything is safe and being done how it should be.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...