UKC

Wynd Cliff Right-Hand Crag - Tawny Owl

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rick Sewards 28 Mar 2011
Hi everyone

I’ve had a report that there is a tawny owl nesting near the top of the Right-Hand Crag at Wynd Cliff, somewhere near the finish of Cadillac. A few days previously I saw one in daylight at the crag (without registering why), so this doesn’t totally surprise me.

I’ll try to get there as soon as possible this week to work out exactly where it is nesting and put a sign up on site, but for the moment (until I can establish exactly where it is) if anyone is planning to go to Wynd Cliff I would avoid all the routes from Trial to Questor inclusive. Tawny owl nests are best avoided, in the interests of both bird and climber (they apparently defend their nests very aggressively), and unfortunately quite a few popular routes converge near the top round there.

Thanks very much.

Rick
Wye Valley Access Rep
In reply to Rick Sewards:

>(they apparently defend their nests very aggressively)

Quite so:

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=VAwMQkcItagC&pg=PA956&lpg=PA956&...

jcm
OP Rick Sewards 28 Mar 2011
In reply to Johncoxmysteriously:

Thanks John – I had heard about that, though I’m a bit too squeamish to want to think about it too much. Anyway, I couldn’t get to the crag today to put up a sign, so I'll use this excuse to give the thread a bump in case anyone is planning some midweek climbing there. I’ve had a more detailed description – there are eggs apparently, and it sounds like it’s very near the top of Suncrush. Again, please avoid all routes from Trial to Questor inclusive (I’ll check how close the latter gets to it, but I’ll err on the side of caution for the moment).

Thanks

Rick
OP Rick Sewards 01 Apr 2011

Haven't visited the crag a few nights ago, I was being over-cautious - Questor is fine as it's round a corner from the nest. For the moment, please avoid routes from Trial to Pilgrimage, and if doing Questor please avoid abseiling from trees to the left as you top out - either walk off or use a tree on the right of the finish.

Thanks

Rick
 Ander 02 Apr 2011
Thought about making a note here?
http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crag.php?id=50

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...