UKC

Crookrise / Slipstones dog ban?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Paul at work 22 Apr 2011
We are trying to decide where to go tomorrow. I'm sure that I have read somewhere that either Crookrise or Slipstones has a current dog ban, due to Grouse nesting, but can't find the information now. The BMC RAD says that that Slipstone did have, which ran out in June 2010. But there is no of info.

Any ideas.
 chalkyjim 22 Apr 2011
In reply to Paul at work:

Birds nesting at crookrise so be careful up there. Official line is no dogs at all.
 The Pylon King 22 Apr 2011

Isn't there a dog ban everywhere now?

In reply to Pylon King:

Still allowed on public rights of way.
 andy 22 Apr 2011
In reply to brt: There aren't any rights of way to Crookers.
In reply to andy:

Not suggesting there are. Addressing the "all dogs banned" post. There's a small print on the signs.
 The Pylon King 22 Apr 2011
In reply to brt:

I thought i read somewhere that dogs are to be totally banned from crags footpaths etc, but maybe it was just a dream.
In reply to Pylon King:

Well I guess there could be exceptions. The signs up around the Peak, the Dales and the Lakes all have "no dog" signs but when you read the small print they state: "on a lead and on public rights of way".

andy 22 Apr 2011
In reply to brt:
> (In reply to andy)
>
> Not suggesting there are. Addressing the "all dogs banned" post. There's a small print on the signs.

Ah - gotcha.
 Glen 23 Apr 2011

Crookrise has a permanent dog ban as far as I can remember, due to sensitive flora and forna in the area.
 Andy Say 23 Apr 2011
In reply to Glen:
Crrokrise is interesting as it is the access route to the crag that is on the Barden estate. The crag itself - on t'other side of the wall - isn't, as far as I know. Although the boundary of CRoW land conventeintly jumps the wall and includes the crag!

I've never heard of a dog ban there although it is possible for grouse estates to apply for them and there is no public right of way to the crag although it falls within access land
OP Paul at work 23 Apr 2011
In reply to Andy Say:

Cheers for the info guys. We went to Earl Crag and then Ilkley. Only saw 6 other climbers all day.
andyathome 23 Apr 2011
Earl Crag, Paul? It must have been warm and dry then!
Guess everybody has gone away for the weekend.....
I have also been reliably informed that dogs ARE a no-no at Crookrise.

(Unless they are retrieving downed grouse presumably...)
OP Paul at work 24 Apr 2011
In reply to andyathome:
> (In reply to Paul at work)
> Earl Crag, Paul? It must have been warm and dry then!
>

Yes it was. Earl was a little green in places, Looking at the amount of chalk there, its be dry for a while.

Glen 24 Apr 2011
> Looking at the amount of chalk there, its be dry for a while.

Of course it has - it hasn't rained for about 3 weeks!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...