UKC

Kayak recommendations?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 RagingSphere 26 May 2011
So after my last few days learning to Kayak & Canoe I feel the urge to buy myself a Kayak but I was wondering if anyone out there has any recomendations on a reasonably forgiving Kayak to start out with?

I'd also quite like to be able to go and have a look at them and possibly try them for fit before parting with my hard earned cash so if you have any recommendations of decent paddling shops in the lancashire/cumbria (and possiblyaround Sheffield) area they would also be gratefully accepted.

Ta muchly,

monkeymark
 Reach>Talent 26 May 2011
In reply to monkeymark:
I've recently started kayaking and I'd suggest wandering round a few shops and trying them out as they seem very 'fit' specific. What sort of paddling are you doing?
 LastBoyScout 26 May 2011
In reply to monkeymark:

Dagger RPM or Infrared, Pyranha Acrobat, or similar would be a good start on a budget. If you want to paddle distances, go for something longer. If you want something more playful/surf, then see if you can stretch to something with a flat bottom, like a Pyranha InaZone or Riot Booster - these come in different sizes, too.

Most people should fit in these boats without too much trouble - it's the really short/more radical playboats where fit tends to become an issue.
 Reach>Talent 26 May 2011
In reply to LastBoyScout:
Don't think I can get into any of that lot, but then I'm a little on the lanky side
OP RagingSphere 26 May 2011
In reply to monkeymark:
I would definitely want to try to fit before parting with my hard cash and I would like something I can progress with. I'm going to get on flat water at the moment and practice for a while although there is a chance for me to get on an intro to moving water course in October so I want something I can do easy white water in.

I definitely don't want a play boat as I would more than likely kill myself in one, I'm not that good yet. Thatll be a purchase in a couple of years I reckon.

I can borrow some bits of kit for a while at least so I'd happily spend £600-700 on a kayak and then buy other bits as I go on. Admitedly like everything I do I set a budget and then find something I like thats more expensive and buy it anyway.

I'll google the suggestions already made and see if I can find a local(ish) shop that sells them to try.
 Tom W 26 May 2011
In reply to monkeymark:

Get yourself down to Windermere Canoe Kayak in Bowness. They can get most suppliers, they'll give friendly advice, can offer further tuition, and as they're right on the edge of the lake you can demo till your hearts content!

Web link http://www.windermerecanoekayak.com/
chad halfwit 26 May 2011
In reply to monkeymark:
You need to look at the pyranha fusion, it's brilliant at flat water mile munching and able to cope with grade 2 ww with ease. I've had mine since I started kayaking as a total novice (could probably have gone for the small) and love it, will probably go for something a bit shorter later in the year but will definitely keep the fusion, as it's just so good for when you just want to drop the skeg and paddle.
adamtc 26 May 2011
In reply to monkeymark: Depends what type of paddling you think you'll be doing. There's a massive range of boats for a massive range of paddling. However, as mentioned above something like a Pyranha Acrobat is a really good first boat. Probably a bit dated now but its fast, accurate and very forgiving. Easy to roll too. If you want something a bit more modern I'd suggest a Burn or Karnarli (or similar)
I'd suggest trying out as many different boats as possible as you can spend a lot of money in the wrong direction.
Have fun.
needvert 27 May 2011
In reply to monkeymark:

...I'd avoid an RPM and get a modern boat.

Second hand can save you a lot of money.
 Siward 27 May 2011
In reply to Reach>Talent: I'm 6'3" and found height a big limiting factor when I bought a kayak- nothing like having your size 12s forced into a tiny little space at the front of the boat with legs unable to move.

Anyway, I ended up with a Liquid Logic Hoss- an expensive boat but as someone has already said- second hand is the way to go.

That assumes you want a white water boat though- if you just want to get from A to B get a longer touring boat

crag-gossip 27 May 2011
In reply to monkeymark: yhm.
 Reach>Talent 27 May 2011
In reply to Siward:
I'm 6'3" and found height a big limiting factor when I bought a kayak- nothing like having your size 12s forced into a tiny little space at the front of the boat with legs unable to move.

I've got at least 4" of height on you, so I'm totally stuffed In the end we went through the clubs boat collection, found the largest one, took the foot rest out and then packed a couple of inches of closed cell foam into the nose so it is a snug fit. Even with the factory fitted foot rest adjusted all the way back there was nearly 5" too little leg room!
trimtram 27 May 2011
In reply to monkeymark:
dagger GT or one of the older piranha.
dont get anything big volume, they are designed for BIG rivers.
big volume boats will tend to have rounded hulls too, we want edges to our boats to do all the paddle skills / manoeuvers.
i like the look of piranha S6 or S7. and dagger GT.
get the right size for your frame too, test them for size with your kit on.
and if possible try them out. ( i think eddylines in llangollen do this )
t
 dreec 27 May 2011
In reply to monkeymark:

I'm 6'4" and majority leg! I finally got myself a Pyranha G3 large it's a big volume boat, flat hulled, and pretty good in surf, lumpy seas, and flat calm days.
The best of it is, it's the only boat I've sat in where I can actually adjust the footrest without having to go straight for the "longest" setting.

http://www.pyranha.com/kayaks.php?kayak=G:3
 The New NickB 27 May 2011
In reply to monkeymark:

brookbank in Stockport stock all the main types and suppiers, go try a few out for size and have a chat with staff about the sort of paddling you want to do. I have not been in the Stockport shop but found their Lancaster shop good and helpful.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...