UKC

Bivi near gogarth

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 snoop6060 01 Jun 2011
Anyone know of anywhere I can sleep near Gogarth? Won't have a tent so needs to be sheltered. Some trees to sling a hammock and tarp would be a bonus. As would a good collection of wood.

Let me know, by email if you want to keep it between us.

Cheers

Si
OP snoop6060 01 Jun 2011
In reply to grubes:

I was kinda aiming for the low profile end of the bivi spectrum. Not sure the tramp on a bench approach is the way to go, though I will keep it mind. Southstack car park would be good but its really exposed and not much chance of any wood for a fire.
 Al Evans 01 Jun 2011
In reply to snoop6060: There used to be an air raid shelter that we used near Castell Helen, just across from the cafe. But I doubt it's still there now. Also you used to be able to pitch a tent inside the Castell but it's a heritage centre now
 Andy Say 01 Jun 2011
In reply to snoop6060:
No chance of wood or fire anywhere near Gogarth at all, really. Its not a heavily wooded area. And lighting a wood fire isn't all that low profile anyway, is it?
The shelter thing that Al mentions is gone as is the lookout on top of the wee hill near S Stack carpark (although locals often filled it with manure to discourage bivvying anyway).

There's a decent campsite at Porth Dafarch, about 5 k away.
OP snoop6060 01 Jun 2011
In reply to Andy Say:

I wasn't going for the bomfire night type of fire, just a small one. In any case, I suspect your right about the distinct lack of wood.
 rustaldo 01 Jun 2011
In reply to snoop6060: there is an awesome cave amongst the boulders infront of holyhead mountain.. you can see it from one of the "paths" thats lead up to the crag.. near/infront of the quartz wall area..

it looks just like a hole underneath a rock, but its much more spacious..
OP snoop6060 01 Jun 2011
In reply to rustaldo:

Which path?

I approached holyhead mountain from the little car park off south stack rd. Its before you turn right onto the rd that leads to the cafe and main car parks for castel helen etc.

Are you talking about the well defined path that goes out of this car park? Will defo check it out, sounds just what I'm looking for.
andyathome 01 Jun 2011
In reply to snoop6060:
At the risk of sounding a bit snotty - just WHY are you wanting to bivvy - sans tent - near Gogarth?
There are places to camp!
 rustaldo 01 Jun 2011
In reply to snoop6060: its right below the crag.. the path im talking about is one of the lesser defined "paths" that lead from the "proper path" that leads from left to right infront of the crag..

so as you walk to the crag from castel helen, you eventually have to go up the blocky/bouldery area to reach to base of the crag and the routes..

the "cave" is a couple of metres adjacent to one of the approach "paths" that lead up through the boulders and scree type area.. as mentioned, somewhere infront of the quartz wall..

kudos if you can find it, its not massivley obvious.. less of a cave, more of a hollowed recess below a block.. but sorta cosy/claustrophobic?

Luk e 02 Jun 2011
In reply to snoop6060:

From what I remember there is a stone shelter along the coastal path if you walking up from the southstack,can't remember how sheltered it is, or what it would be like for bivvying though....

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...