UKC

Cerro Torre, Hand of Fatima etc in this issue of summit

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JR 22 Jun 2011
How many Brits have actually summited Cerro Torre? Must only be 3 or 4 surely?

I'm guessing loads of people have done the first 5 in the summit list, anyone ticked the lot!? I imagine someone will have done 8 or 9 of them.

And whilst I'm at it, I'm looking at going to Kaga Tondo either this coming winter or the following. Has anyone climbed the North Ridge? Route beta? I'm hopefully going to drive there in a Mercedes truck...

Cheers
In reply to JR:

Care to list the list otherwise we simply don't know what you are on about

ALC
OP JR 22 Jun 2011
In reply to a lakeland climber:

Become a BMC member and get summit

1. Inn pin, Cuilin
2. Needle Rock, Lundy
3. Napes Needle
4. Old Man Stoer
5. Old Man of Hoy
6. Corkscrew Summit, Utah
7. Aig. de la Republique, Chamonix
8. Lost Arrow Spire, Yosemite
9. Kaga Tondo, Mali
10. Cerro Torre, Patagonia
In reply to JR:

I'm at work ...

ALC
In reply to JR:

No Brit has summited Cerro Torre properly, the via ferrata doesn't count.
 Will Sim 22 Jun 2011
In reply to Conquistador of the usless: You beat me to it! no, no Brit has done that list.
Will
 alex 22 Jun 2011
In reply to Will Sim:

The article profiles ten wild summits and the easiest route to them. So, yep, for ticking that top ten list, the compressor route counts....
 Mr Lopez 22 Jun 2011
In reply to Conquistador of the usless:
> (In reply to JR)
>
> No Brit has summited Cerro Torre properly, the via ferrata doesn't count.

Has any Brit ever summited the Republique?
 Hugh Cottam 22 Jun 2011
In reply to JR:

Well I know a Brit who's done Cerro Torre by the Ferrari Route (so not using the compressor route bolts).

I don't think he's been to Mali but I bet he's done most of the others.
In reply to Mr Lopez:

You probably have a better idea than me, to be honest.

Will are you going for the Ferrari next season, was a green eyed monster, when i saw the pics of your exocet ascent, just a pipe dream for me now, best of luck if you are.
In reply to Hugh Cottam:

Was that the guy from North Wales, if so they got high but didn't summit.
In reply to alex:

If you are a climber, by fair means counts.... not using a ladder.
OP JR 22 Jun 2011
In reply to Mr Lopez:

Good reply...
 Will Sim 22 Jun 2011
In reply to Conquistador of the usless: That's what i was there to do last time. But didn't get the weather. Won't be back this year as i have a credit card to pay off, but i think Jon's keen.
Will
In reply to JR:

OK whats the story with the Republique, do you lasso the top or something!
 p3t3 22 Jun 2011
In reply to Will Sim: Didn't make it to the Pillar then Will?
 Will Sim 22 Jun 2011
In reply to p3t3: Ha! no fraid not. Been trying to coax life in to my car all morning. But toying with going for a fish later....
Will
 Mr Lopez 22 Jun 2011
> (In reply to JR)
>
> OK whats the story with the Republique, do you lasso the top or something!

That was the way till someone drilled a bolt ladder sometime around the 80's or early 90's. The FA's carried a crossbow to through the rope over the summit block...

jon 22 Jun 2011
 Mr Lopez 22 Jun 2011
 Hugh Cottam 22 Jun 2011

He is from North Wales. I don't want to put his name here as I don't think he's arsed about people knowing what he's done. Pretty sure they summited.

It's listed on Rolando Garibotti's site with no mention of having not summited.

My point was that there are people out there who've done impressive stuff that no one knows about.
 Will Sim 22 Jun 2011
In reply to Hugh Cottam: Thats interesting if that's the case. But its worth remembering that quite a few ascents haven't reached the summit, but its hard to know details as that top mushroom (the crux) has varied a fair bit over the last 30 years. For example Siegfrist's "first winter ascent" didn't go to the very top. Also Patrick Pessi's ascent somehow managed to circumnavigate the top mushroom and end up in the vaccinity of the Compressor route.
Personal ethics obviously vary, but in this case i think its complicated by the fact that the last pitch is the crux, and it changes,a nd a few of the ascencionists to date haven't really known where they've been on the top 100 meters.
Is your friend on this list?

1- Daniele Chiappa, Mario Conti, Casimiro Ferrari, and Pino Negri (Italy), January 1974. This was the first ascent of the mountain.
2- John Bragg, Dave Carman and Jay Wilson (USA) January 1977. Second ascent of the peak. First Alpine Style.
3- Michael Bearzi and Eric Winkelmann (USA) February 1986. First free ascent.
4- Simon Elias and Josu Merino (Spain) February 1997 via the West Face Route.
5- Ramiro Calvo, Gabriel and Luciano Fiorenza, Max Odell, Walter Rossini (Arg) and Bruno Sourzac (France) December 2005. Bruno Sourzac made the first free and leash-less ascent.
6- Kelly Cordes and Colin Haley (USA) January 2007 approaching via Los Tiempos Perdidos (south face).
7- Jorge Ackermann, Tomas Aguilo, Charly Cabezas and Matias Villavicencio (Arg), and Rolando Garibotti (no country-or 3?), and Doerte Pietron (Germany). Doerte's is the first female ascent of the route, and the 6th female ascent of the peak (after Rossana Manfrini, Inez Bozic, Cathy Cosely, Monika kambic and Tanja Gromosek), and the first female ascent without using Maestri's Compressor route bolts. December 1, 2008.
8- Ole Lied and Trym Atle Saeland (Norway) approaching via the SE ridge by traversing above the south face. A snow mushroom along the SE ridge forced them to use some of Maestri's bolts before traversing west. December 2nd, 2008. This is the much talked about "Corkscrew" link-up, originally discussed by the English and Argentine expedition in 1968 (Fonrouge, Haston, etc). A "bolt-free" ascent of the "Corkscrew" link up remains to be done.
9- Mateo Bernasconi and Fabio Salini (Italy). December 2nd, 2008.
10- Julien Dusserre, Pierre Labbre, Baptiste Rostaing Puissant and Jerome Para (France). December 9, 2008.
11- Walter Hungerbuhler. First solo ascent of the route, first solo ascent of Cerro Torre without Maestri’s bolts, 5th solo ascent of the peak. December 9, 2008.
12- Nico Benedetti, Flavio "Manzana" Renzacci, Fernando "Capi" Irrazabal and Jimmy Heredia (Arg). December 9, 2008.
13- Cullen Kirk (USA) and Bjorn-Eivind Artun (Norway). In 13 hours from Niponinos to the summit via the Standhardt col. December 9, 2008.

If it really is something he wants to keep to himself then never mind. Congrats!
Will
 Bulls Crack 22 Jun 2011
In reply to JR:

>
> And whilst I'm at it, I'm looking at going to Kaga Tondo either this coming winter or the following. Has anyone climbed the North Ridge? Route beta? I'm hopefully going to drive there in a Mercedes truck...
>
> Cheers

I wouldn't recommend trying the ridge in a truck...German or otherwise.
In reply to Hugh Cottam:

If you are referring to whom I think you are then they didn't summit. They got to the base of the summit mushroom.

ALC
 The New NickB 22 Jun 2011
In reply to JR:

I've done three, napes, hoy and the inn pin. I guess I might manage to do a few more. I have been on the torre glacier, probably as close to that particular summit as I am ever likely to get.
 alex 23 Jun 2011
In reply to The New NickB:

If anyone's done 8 or more, get in touch (summit@thebmc.co.uk) Write us a short letter for the letters page and we'll sort out some goodies.

Thanks

Alex.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...