UKC

Macro photos

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Andrew W 04 Jul 2011
Hi I've just tried some macro photography using a bellows unit and wanted some tips and what to try so I can improve.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/awaterfield/sets/72157626987794765/
 stonemaster 04 Jul 2011
In reply to Andrew Waterfield: Usual suspects are focus, depth of field and lighting. Looks like you have no problems with those pics. Nice work. Is one allowed to ask what gear you used and also what F stop/speed setting, etc?
OP Andrew W 04 Jul 2011
In reply to stonemaster: Lens was a tamron 35-135mm tele macro at the 135mm end and in macro, a BPM universal bellows at about 14cm extension with a canon 400D with a custom mount to get it to fit. The shutter speed was from about 1/10th to 5 seconds depending on aperture and the lighting.
 another_mark 04 Jul 2011
In reply to Andrew Waterfield: Looks good.

You might want to have a look at making up a ring flash - or possibly a double flash holder. Getting enough light in at a small enough aperture to have any depth of field is tricky. There are a few diy guides around - even using white card to fold and redirect the on board flash.
OP Andrew W 04 Jul 2011
In reply to another_mark: Ok thanks for the tip. I had been using a desk lamp either back lighting the leaves or behind white paper to get some more light in the photo.
OP Andrew W 05 Jul 2011
In reply to Andrew Waterfield: Anybody got any more ideas of what to shoot or try to get.
 lynda 05 Jul 2011
In reply to Andrew Waterfield: Can't answer your question but I love the black and white photos of the leaf. You can see the stomata, which are really cool!
OP Andrew W 05 Jul 2011
In reply to lynda: Pleased that you liked it I'll take a picture of the set up when I find my other camera.
 stonemaster 05 Jul 2011
In reply to Andrew Waterfield: Respect. That's plenty of kit...
OP Andrew W 05 Jul 2011
In reply to stonemaster: Fortunately my dad had all of it, I only needed to spend £5 to get the canon SLR to fit the bellows.
 JSA 06 Jul 2011

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...