UKC

Photos From a Recent Trip to Chamonix

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Marky Mark 21 Jul 2011
Just back from a great week climbing in Chamonix. Only my second time in the Alps so pleased to get a few routes done, despite the weather. We did Petite Aiguille Verte (via the demi lune) Traverse of the Valley Blanche, Cosmiques Arete, Mont Blanc du Tacul and then due to weather headed over to Italy and did Gran Paradiso (original plan was Mont Blanc via the 3 monts route)

All photos were with a Canon G12 and processed in Lightroom 3. I'd be interested to hear what people think and if your favourites coincide with mine. Any worthy of a ukc 5 ??

http://www.flickr.com/photos/marklandon/sets/72157627118987043/show/
 Mr Lopez 21 Jul 2011
In reply to Marky Mark:

I quite like the last one (sunset). I quite like it a lot actually.

They are all good photos TBH, and probably all worthy of 5's if not for the fact that the subjects have been photographed to hell already.
 iceaxejuggler 21 Jul 2011
In reply to Mr Lopez:
> (In reply to Marky Mark)
>
> I quite like the last one (sunset). I quite like it a lot actually.
>
> They are all good photos TBH, and probably all worthy of 5's if not for the fact that the subjects have been photographed to hell already.

Seconded.
In reply to Marky Mark:

Almost all of them are worth UKC 5 (and many far inferior shots are given 5 here). Very fine work by any standards.
 walts4 21 Jul 2011
In reply to Marky Mark:

Very worthy to be honest, the clouds definetly add character, atmosphere to the shots rather than wall to wall sunshine.
OP Marky Mark 21 Jul 2011
thanks for the comments , especially given the quality of shots in your own galeries !! My personal favourite is the orange sunset one. Thinking about getting a canvas print of that one to hang on my wall.
 Marc Elliott 22 Jul 2011
In reply to Marky Mark:

Marky Mark.... they are simply STUNNING pics. Liked them all, and agree the yellow sunset is AMAZING.

All very worthy of a UK Climbing 5 Stars.

I've added you as a Flickr contact, if you don't mind.

Keep up the good work - inspirational.

Marc
 John Ww 22 Jul 2011
In reply to Marky Mark:

Very impressive indeed - top stuff, well done.
In reply to Marky Mark:

Be great if you could put some of these into your UKC Gallery. We have a new app coming for the Photo Gallery plus a yearly competition we will be announcing with some big prizes.

Alan
OP Marky Mark 22 Jul 2011
Thanks Marc.

Alan, I'll try to add them when I get a bit of time.
 ChrisJD 22 Jul 2011
In reply to Marky Mark:

That is really a great set of images. I especially like your b&w shots.

Keep it up.
 casa 22 Jul 2011
In reply to ChrisJD: Agree with Chris, the B+W are very moody. I like no.2 best i think.
 pneame 22 Jul 2011
In reply to Marky Mark: Outstanding, not only ticking some good routes but getting some great views - last one a 6, all but two of the rest 5.
 mr mills 22 Jul 2011
In reply to Marky Mark:

All brilliant photos Mark, liked them all especially the last one, they would easily be up there amongst the other brilliant photographers here on UKC !
 mikehike 22 Jul 2011
In reply to Marky Mark:
On first look all nice pics.
I prefer the one with the Orange Jacketed Fella in the foreground as it adds a nice contrast of colour

On a second look 3,5,10 hold my interest the others I would not look at repeatedly Just MHO.

mh
 Lew13 22 Jul 2011
In reply to Marky Mark:

Like the 2nd one and the one of the Tour Ronde!
 kevin stephens 22 Jul 2011
In reply to Marky Mark:

They are all really good. Did you use LR3 to process the RAW files or just the jpegs?
 Danos 23 Jul 2011
In reply to Marky Mark:

A great set of shots, as most I like the sunset most. Way better than my landscape shots!
 Fredt 23 Jul 2011
In reply to Marky Mark:

I thought they wre all excellent, well done.
Just one observation:
The Tour Ronde one has the subject dead centre. If you'd put it to the left, you would lose the blank area to the left, I wanted to see more of the ridge extending to the right.

After deciding to start some serious photography myself, and on the advice of these very fora, I too have set myself up with a Canon G12 and Lightroom 3. What sort of processes were you doing in Lightroom, and what sort of setup on the G12, i.e. Auto, P, Tv, Av or Manual?
Any suggestions welcome, to help me get started.

Simon Wells 23 Jul 2011
In reply to Marky Mark:

Awesome! I was just getting used to the idea of spending my summer in the UK with our 6 month son, thanks Mark you just started the 'alpine itch'.....cold mornings, hot afternoon descents, crunch and scratch of crampons....best go I have to hang the nappies out!
OP Marky Mark 23 Jul 2011
In reply to Fredt:

FredT, the Tour Ronde was already cropped and leaving the ridge in was unblancing it so I decided to break the rules and have it dead centre.

I was shooting in Av ISO 100 with about -2/3 EV exposure compensation dialled in. White balance was auto. Normally I'd be shooting RAW but to maximise the number of shots on memory card I was in jpeg.

Processing was in LR3 with one of the standard presets (more suited to RAW) so you have to be careful not moving sliders too far when using them on jpgs. I think it was the adobe B&W #3 setting with a healthy dose of clarity.

The G12 was borrowed. I'd have loved to have had my 40D and 10-22 wide angle with me but decided it was too unwieldy.

Simon, glad it's given you an itch to get out there. 6 month old will make it a bit tricky maybe ?? My (4) kids are a bit older (youngest is 3.5) and my wife is very understanding !!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...