UKC

Gogarth 100

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 centurion05 14 Aug 2011
So how many people on here have ticked over a hundred routes at Gogarth. By gogarth i mean not Holyhead Mountain, The Range or Rhoscolyn.

Which routes did you do as your 100th tick? How many routes wouldn't you do again? How many routes have you done but can't actually remember? Which one was the best? Which one have you done the most?

I set myself this challenge at the start of the year when i was on 58. I'm leaving Wales at the end of the month and i Have 14 left... Ticking away. My ticks include seconding routes (which i could lead) and dogging routes (only two) and a wee bit of aid (only on actual aided routes tho)

My first was Dream Of White Horses
I wouldn't do the routes i done in Tsumani Zawn again.
I've got a pretty good memory so can remember pretty much all of them.
Positron was the best, closely followed by T-Rex and Winking Crack.
I must have done Rap/Pel/Lighthouse arete about 10 times minimum each. North West Passage has been a regular also.
I wouldn't do Green Slab on Mousetrap again It was like a difficult (and dangerous)exit from the crag.

Centurion05
 mux 14 Aug 2011
In reply to centurion05: i dont know if I have yet ..I have 68 in my log book here ..but back before ukc I left my guide books in my mums loft while I was away traveling, the roof leaked and glued all of the pages together. I have a crap memory so dont remember what I have done unless its ticked or logged.

So maybe I have

Still your not really a regular until you have clocked 100 are you?

good luck with the last 14... I hope to be out that way next weekend weather permiting.

As for good and bad they are all great but some are greater than others ..

unless its red wall or right hand yellow wall ...I have done all I want to on those areas now.
 jon 14 Aug 2011
In reply to centurion05:

As far as I can tell I've done 88. I'm sure I won't do any more - let alone get to 100 - not because I don't want to, of course. Hunger and the Cad are probably the most memorable... Hunger for the quality, and the Cad for the relief of getting to the top!
 Mark Reeves Global Crag Moderator 14 Aug 2011
In reply to jon: I have done 97 so only have a few more, although I am using the graded list from the 1986 guide, otherwise I would already be there, as it is a pretty strict list.

Not decided on what route to do for my 100th?

jon 14 Aug 2011
In reply to Mark Reeves:

Why does the graded list make a difference, Mark?
 Bulls Crack 14 Aug 2011
In reply to centurion05:

Are you counting repeats?

Still no-where near for me!
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 14 Aug 2011
In reply to centurion05:

Only 75 - can't see me doing many more!

Dinosaur and Positron in the same day was the 'hardest' (had to have lie down before we could we walk back to the car) though The Moon and Big Groove in the same day was probably the most satisfying.

Chris
 jon 14 Aug 2011
In reply to Chris Craggs:
> (In reply to centurion05)
> (had to have lie down before we could we walk back to the car)

So nothing changes, eh Chris;
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 14 Aug 2011
In reply to jon:

Getaway - usual suspects out on Stanage today and I managed to get back to the car in one push!

Chris

Mark Reeves Global Crag Moderator 14 Aug 2011
In reply to jon:
> (In reply to Mark Reeves)
>
> Why does the graded list make a difference, Mark?

Not all routes in the 1986 guide made it to the graded list. Most holyhead mountain routes.
 Goucho 14 Aug 2011
In reply to centurion05: Got close -

Route 1) Lighthouse Arete - got lost on the 2nd or 3rd pitch if memory serves me!!!!
Route 98) Graduation Ceremony
Long gap
Route 99?) Failed pathetically on the 1st pitch of Alien, lowered back down, and gave up climbing!

So I doubt I will ever bag 100 - unless of course I can get fit enough again to settle unfinished business with that corner.
 Dave Ferguson 15 Aug 2011
In reply to centurion05:
I was lucky enough to live in north wales for 10 years and this was a bit of an obsession of mine. I managed to get to 200 before I left with the last route being appropriately End Game at north stack.

However this included rhoscolyn, the range and holyhead mountain. By your stricter criteria I've probably got to 150. A few aren't in the guide either, eg. the thunderbird zawn routes.

Highlights include doing most of the big red wall routes one week in late september whilst sciving nursing college. I enjoyed the looser stuff like Dogs of War and Red Haze as I was never good enough to get up the proper E4's.

I've been spat out of the cryptic rift 3 times so won't be going back there, and I certainly won't be doing The Trap again (I'm too fat now).
I wouldn't do Auricle again and the Amphitheatre is just too frightening.

Lesser known gems which get no stars are Mistaken Identity in flytrap zawn and Annie's Arch, a girdle above Spider's Web.

Good luck with your last 14 - a thoroughly worthwhile obsession!

PS. using Marks stricter criteria the tally is 142 (just counted - how sad am I?)
 mux 16 Aug 2011
In reply to Dave Ferguson: Hats off for enjoying dogs of war !

that and the Sind are my Least "enjoyed" at gogarth. brrr !!!

I will have to pull my socks up to catch up with 200 ..or 142 come to that.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...