UKC

Just upgraded from my kit lens.. Did I choose well? (I hope so)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rhys Jones 23 Aug 2011
So I've been using a Canon 500d as a newcomer to "proper" cameras as I always called them. Today I took the plunge and upgraded the kit 18-55 to a Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6.

I was after a standalone lens for Kili trips etc where the dust makes changing far from ideal. I wanted to get good wide shots as well as have some zoom capability. Last week on Kili I used a 5d MK2 with a Canon 24-70 f2.8 which belonged to one of the film crew, but it was so heavy it actually discouraged me from carrying/ using the damn thing.

I guess what I'm really after is some reassurance as I've never spent so much on, well, anything other than a car I think! Back to Kili on Thursday and will hopefully get some good results..
 Jon Read 24 Aug 2011
In reply to Rhys Jones:
Well the first lens I got for my 20d was the 17-85, the predecessor of the lens you've got... and I've never regretted it. Would guess that >80% of my shots since have been with it, it's so damn convenient, especially for climbing and general travel.
 Si Withington 24 Aug 2011
In reply to Rhys Jones:

I'll be controversial and say 'no'. Dunno about the lens itself, but you've gained very little at either end. 3mm at the wide end is negligible. 30mm at the other end will help for some stuff (eg portraits) but is not more than a few steps with the zoom that is attached to your legs - aka your feet. I'd imagine your kit lens was of a similar speed too.

Just my thoughts. UKC will disagree, agree and contradict. C'est la vie.

Regardless - if it gets you out and behind the lens then it's a winner. Enjoy.

Si
 Marek 24 Aug 2011
In reply to Rhys Jones:

If you're happy, then you chose well.

Whether the 15-85 is a "better" lens than the 18-55 depends on what you want from it. On optical quality there's not much to choose between them. Your new lens is heavier, more expensive if you damage it but more a bit more robust. It just a different set of compromises.

Best plan is not to worry about it and just use it.

Andy S 27 Aug 2011
In reply to Marek: here here! You've bought it now mate, so you might as well just start using it and forget about it!
 Run_Ross_Run 27 Aug 2011
In reply to zebedoo:
Dunno about the lens itself, but you've gained very little at either end. 3mm at the wide end is negligible. 30mm at the other end will help for some stuff (eg portraits) but is not more than a few steps

He's gained more than 3 and 30 when you add in the crop factor. I think its 1.6 on the Canon but correct me if its not.
Sounds like a good size range to me.
Cant comment on the lense itself, Im a Nikon fan....

Darren.
 oldmanpete 02 Sep 2011
> He's gained more than 3 and 30 when you add in the crop factor. I think its 1.6 on the Canon but correct me if its not.

It is 1.6x crop factor.

I also recently took the plunge but rather than replace the kit lens I invested in a Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS to sit along side it.

I'm quite pleased. (I don't mind lugging stuff about though)

Richard Smith 06 Sep 2011
In reply to Jon Read: I drive a 20D with the same lens and I agree with you, a good lens to have. I also have a 75-300 IS Canon lens; not a bad one either.
OP Rhys Jones 06 Sep 2011
In reply to Rhys Jones: Hi all, well I'm back from the trip now and I'm so pleased with the results. The wide end was all I could have wanted and getting up close was also great. A lens change-free set up was ideal in the dusty environment.

As has been said, it made me use the camera a lot more, so was worth it.

Thanks and I would really recommend this lens to anyone in a similar situation.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...