UKC

Public transport from Tremadog to Snowdon (Cloggy)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 PebblePusher 25 Aug 2011
Hello all,

I am staying in Tremadog with the misses this weekend and we are hoping to get a bus out to Snowdon to do a climb on Cloggy and then back in the same day. The internet doesn't have much in the way of information that I can find and that which I have found doesn't look particularly new.

So ... does anyone have any advice to point me in the right direction, bus numbers or routes would be a good start!

Thanks,
Chris
 remus Global Crag Moderator 25 Aug 2011
In reply to PebblePusher: Its a few years since Ive done it, but there used to be a fairly regular bus service between tremadog (the village) and Pen y Pass.

this timetable is out of date, but the times may still be correct. you can always check by going in to tremadog and checking the times on the bus stop.

http://www.gwynedd.gov.uk/upload/public/attachments/1062/winter201011sherpa...
In reply to PebblePusher: sorry, missed the cloggy part of your post: once you get to pen y pass theres lots of buses going between Llanberis.

Could be tricky to co-ordinate with a cloggy trip though, as the walk in is so long. Might be better off camping in the pass (or even up by cloggy) so you dont have to worry about the bus so much.
OP PebblePusher 25 Aug 2011
In reply to remus:

Thank you for your help that bus looks like a winner!

> (In reply to PebblePusher) sorry, missed the cloggy part of your post: once you get to pen y pass theres lots of buses going between Llanberis.
>
> Could be tricky to co-ordinate with a cloggy trip though, as the walk in is so long. Might be better off camping in the pass (or even up by cloggy) so you dont have to worry about the bus so much.

Or maybe not bothering with Cloggy and climbing something around Pen Y Pass area. Have you been climbing around there? Any suggestions for easy routes (the misses is coming so doesn't want it to be too hard or scary!).
In reply to PebblePusher: Theres a lot of good easy stuff in the pass itself, what sort of grades are you looking for?
In reply to remus:

We're thinking of doing a nice long but easy climb, nothing harder than Severe (anything higher in the grades we'll save for Tremadog). After having a bit more of a look through the internet I see that a bus to Pen Y Pass is easy to sort out and was looking at Lliwedd for a venue. We fancy something that feels like a mountain and this certainly looks to fit the bill! Was thinking maybe Red Wall & Longland's continuation? Sounds like this may be escapable should we struggle with time or the fear!?

Chris
In reply to PebblePusher: I havent climbed on lliwed before, but id be a bit wary of going there on a first visit to the pass. Its got a reputation for difficult route finding which isnt really what you want when you've got a bus to catch.

Reades Route on crib goch looks like it might fit the bill: http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/c.php?i=33745

Could perhaps start up something on Dinas mot then go on to Reades route, you'd have to double check this though as im not sure what the ground above Dinas Mot is like.
 Mike Peacock 25 Aug 2011
In reply to PebblePusher: This website might help:
http://www.traveline-cymru.info/

If the bus doesn't arrive/is late, then try hitching.
 Mike Peacock 25 Aug 2011
In reply to PebblePusher: Oh, and here's the up to date Sherpa times:
http://www.gwynedd.gov.uk/upload/public/attachments/1101/sherpa.pdf
In reply to Mike Peacock:

Aha! That's what I've been looking for. Thank you for that, have downloaded it onto my iPhone now as well so sorted!

Now to pick a long, easy and not too intimidating climb in the area for me and the misses to spend the day on.

Have had a look at Crib Goch, looks like a cracking route. Sounds like a hell of a walk in though which is always a bit of a worry if you have a bus to get down to!

Cheers for all the help guys!
Chris
 Mike Peacock 25 Aug 2011
In reply to PebblePusher: Yes, using public transport in the mountains can get a bit fraught at times! Especially when the buses stop running so early. But if you do miss it hitching round here is relatively easy especially if:
1) You have a rucksack on your back, and
2) You're a mixed couple.

I've always found I got picked up quicker when with my girlfriend rather than when on my own. I suppose people perceive you as less of a threat/crazy murderer.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...