UKC

Arapiles climbing - camper van necessary?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Neil Morbey 06 Sep 2011
Hi,
I'm heading to Arapiles in a month for 11 days. If I bring a camper van and I making life easier or harder. I won't have a tent but could get a cheap un and get a car....

... what are people's expereiences? Best campsite?

ta
In reply to Neil Morbey:

Alright Neil.

You'll love it there. It is tRad heaven. I'm afraid I can't remember the time of year I went but when I was there no one a camper (not very helpful sorry). If you Are really concerned there is an Aussie version of ukc called chockstone. Post on that and you'll get the answer.

There is an awesome route near kachong (which you'll have to do) called taste of honey. Its got some footless madness on it - awesomeness square.

Have a brilliant time

Ed
OP Neil Morbey 06 Sep 2011
In reply to Neil Morbey:

Cheers Eddy - I saw some Yosemite photos on FB. Have a good trip? How's life?
In reply to Neil Morbey:

From stalk-book I see you've just come back from the Yosemite of the South - Lundy. I've always wanted to go there.

My trip su-freakin'-perb thanks. Over a month of blue skies, friendly interesting people and mind-blowing rock. I'm struggling to re-ignite my love for the bracing English weather. I know my character will be all the more developed for it but...

...anyway. Arapiles is very cool. If you have the opportunity to play Aussie rules football take it. I just broke into E3 when I went and all the climbs graded 22 were memorable. I had about 50% chance of success but all the ones I tried had very good gear.

You'll have a whale of a time.
StuckNut 07 Sep 2011
In reply to Neil Morbey:
Either or will suffice. There are good public toilets at "The Pines" campsite. Water is available(bore and rain water) but there are signs warning against you drinking it. I don't think its a problem though.

The whole climbing area is within easy walking distance so no need to drive anywhere once you set-up camp. The nearest small town, Natimuk, is a few minutes drive up the road, the larger town of Horsham is a little further(~30min) and has everything.
 Graham 07 Sep 2011
In reply to Neil Morbey:
Arapiles is f*cking awesome. some of the best trad climbing anywhere. As someone else said, the Pines is the best spot, but is often very crowded during peak season. None of the australian climbers I saw had campervans, just shitty cars and massive car-camping tents. You almost never need to worry about any sort of tent-destroying weather - just get a cheap, large, shitty tent from the walmart in Natimuck and call it good.

enjoy! be prepared to get sandbagged.
 turtlespit 07 Sep 2011
Arapiles is great. I visited over easter and am heading back for the first week of October with a group of friends.

Pines and Gums campgrounds are beside each other and a short distance from the rock (5 mins walk to the closest routes).

Personally wouldn't bother with a campervan. There's a toilet block, but no showers. However, if you have a car, there's a swimming pool in Horsham (about 30km away) that will charge a couple of dollars for a shower. Horsham is also the main place for getting bulk supplies. Natimuk has a small store but it's more expensive.

Also, the grampians are only about a 1 hour drive from Arapiles. More sport routes available there (sport routes at Arapiles are few and far between and start around grade 25/F7b), and a lot of bouldering (though I really enjoyed the arapiles bouldering).
 HenryC 07 Sep 2011
In reply to Neil Morbey:

In complete contrast to everyone else's opinion here I am heading to the Araps in Oct/Nov andhave hired a campervan for the pleasure. Reasons being: we will do the tourist thing on the Great Ocean Road first and also because rather than hauling camping kit out there and all that extra fuss I considered that with a van you can just shut the door and drive away plus they come fully fitted with kit.

We have only gone for a lowish spec one without toilet and shower as these facilities are available, but figured if we are hiring a car anyway it seemed an elegant solution if not the cheapest.

Time will tell though!
OP Neil Morbey 07 Sep 2011
In reply to Theeni:
Theeni - I will probably meet you out there as it is the same time as my trip. I'll be there from 25 oct - 3 november. Are you going out as a group?

My girlfriend leads up to severe, but she is out of practice. I think both her and I would like it if we can meet others and spend some days climbing with people closer to our grade.

Is it easy to meet climbers there?
 MelH 07 Sep 2011
In reply to Neil Morbey:

I had a car and cheap tent - stayed for more than 2 months. You don't need a camper. Should be an ok temp too. Have fun- it's awesome!!!!!
 Morgan Woods 07 Sep 2011
In reply to Graham:
> (In reply to Neil Morbey)
> just get a cheap, large, shitty tent from the walmart in Natimuck

or the K-Mart in Horsham even :p

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...