UKC

TCA Glasgow, one big ass boulder wall!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 tuna fish 12 Sep 2011
WOW things are moving fast here is a little update on what is going to be a stunning facility!

http://alloureggs.wordpress.com/

al.
 Cypher 12 Sep 2011
In reply to tuna fish: Is there going to be a lower off on the prow feature do you know?

Either way, I'm glad my Bristol membership covers being able to use the glasgow wall too, may be putting some money into Easyjet's pockets for that badboy lol.
 Paul Kinnaird 12 Sep 2011
In reply to tuna fish: I hope not lower off requires 2 people what if you are on your own?

Im pretty sure theres rules regarding how high a wall can be for a certain thickness of foam so perhaps it will be thicker under the prow or there will be an additional mat on top. Also safe to think there will be a few jugs to downclimb to a less scary height then jump
 Cypher 12 Sep 2011
In reply to Paul Kinnaird:
> (In reply to tuna fish) I hope not lower off requires 2 people what if you are on your own?
>
> Im pretty sure theres rules regarding how high a wall can be for a certain thickness of foam so perhaps it will be thicker under the prow or there will be an additional mat on top. Also safe to think there will be a few jugs to downclimb to a less scary height then jump

True, or perhaps a foam pit like they do in gymnastics training
 JLS 12 Sep 2011
In reply to Paul Kinnaird:

>"Also safe to think there will be a few jugs to downclimb to a less scary height then jump"

Surely such a feature would want a series of unreversable moves off crimps before the final dyno to a sh!t sloper at the top.

Not point on wasting good money on mats if people aren't going to at least attempt to break their necks.
 Roberttaylor 12 Sep 2011
In reply to tuna fish: Looks awesome, any idea when it opens? Suspect I may have moved to Glasgow at the right time.
 Cassidy 12 Sep 2011
In reply to tuna fish: Just a couple of responses on a few of the points mentioned. The prow although almost 7m long is still "only" 4.8m high, the same as the other highest walls.

The wall is built according to British and European standards which extends to the matting arrangements so you will be as safe using our bouldering wall (as long as a bit of common sense is also applied) as you are on any other.

Opening date is still TBC, which is just as frustrating for us as it is for all our expectant customers. Bring on October...
In reply to Cassidy:
Sounds really good, I assume you really mean 4.5m high as per the standard, .3m will be taken up by the matting.
 Bulls Crack 12 Sep 2011
In reply to Cassidy:

Looks great but , out of interest, is 'curved' hard to do wall-wise? Lots of new walls seem to be all angles - if you see what I mean.
 Fraser 12 Sep 2011
In reply to Bulls Crack:
> (In reply to Cassidy)
>
> Looks great but , out of interest, is 'curved' hard to do wall-wise?

Curved in both directions is almost impossible to do when sheeting with boards and precast is much more expensive.

Mark Kemball 13 Sep 2011
 Cypher 13 Sep 2011
In reply to Cassidy:
> (In reply to tuna fish) Just a couple of responses on a few of the points mentioned. The prow although almost 7m long is still "only" 4.8m high, the same as the other highest walls.

Lol "only" eh. Must have been the angle it was taken at that made it look infinitely higher. However it is still a beast of a feature and one I will definitely be making the trip up to attempt down the line.

Hopefully everything going smoothly from here on in and you guys get to open the doors soon.

Fraser 13 Sep 2011
In reply to Mark Kemball:

Yep, looks a bit 'old school' but those were the days I guess. I have to say I prefer flat panel walls with large screw-on volumes. I think the Glasgow wall is going to be amazing once complete. A huge number of folk here are champing at the bit.....
 Pids 22 Sep 2011
In reply to Fraser:

Getting close to October - any idea of opening date ?

Has the Ibrox wall wakened up and realised there will be competition yet ?
 JLS 22 Sep 2011
In reply to Pids:

>"Has the Ibrox wall wakened up and realised there will be competition yet ?"

I'm sure they may have noticed. I'm not exaclty sure what they can do about it though beyond the minor recent and on going improvements.

Enevitably in the short term there will be drop in their market share. It will be intresting to see if the presence of the new place will ultimately service to grow the market to the extent that Ibrox doesn't actually suffer significantly longer term.

If we were to actually lose Ibrox because the market just isn't big enought to support two wall then that really would be a poor outcome for Glasgow climbers.

Some of us are rubbish at bouldering and prefer messing about with ropes.
 euanryan 22 Sep 2011
In reply to tuna fish: I'm not worrying about Ibrox, they have lead walls and top-ropes. Nae competition there.

And the new downstairs wall is shaping up nicely!

Still psyched for TCA though
 Flinticus 22 Sep 2011
The GCC should be fine with its top roping & lead climbing. The new place is pure bouldering.

Hopefully it will pull some of the crowd away as the bouldering in the GCC basement gets real busy most nights.
 Cheese Monkey 22 Sep 2011
In reply to Mark Kemball: Agreed, still my favourite indoors bouldering because of it!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...