UKC

Manchester University Climbing Club Freshers Meets

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 joe.91 23 Sep 2011
Sorry for the late post, no internet makes life difficult! The MUMC is having to trips to the Peaks this year like we have in previous years. The dates and locations for these trips are below;

Froggatt Edge, 25.09.11
Stanage High Neb or the Roaches, 02.10.11 (yet to be decided, will reply when we decide)

Sorry for any inconvenience but we've ran trips to these locations for at least the past 3 years and its worked very well so as the saying goes, we're not changing this year!

deepsoup 23 Sep 2011
In reply to joe.91:
"Peaks"!?
Bloody students.
 poeticshambles 23 Sep 2011
In reply to joe.91: You should all meet up with our club at uclan for a trip sometime. We're going Snowdonia next week
 Brass Nipples 23 Sep 2011
In reply to joe.91:

I hope you're not studying English.
 LakesWinter 23 Sep 2011
In reply to joe.91: Thanks for the heads up. I went to Froggatt for the first time in ages the other week and the main section is looking pretty battered compared to other Peak grit crags, maybe in future large scale meets could think about giving it a miss and swapping somewhere less classic for beginners that needs some extra traffic, like Baslow?
 fullastern 24 Sep 2011
In reply to MattG: and so it begins!
 Franco Cookson 24 Sep 2011
In reply to MattG:

I agree. It's all about getting the balance right between not putting them off (by taking them up a filthy crack) and not taking them up ultra-classic stuff unnecessarily.

The MUMC has a strong leader and second ethic, so technically they have just as great-a-right to be there as other climbers, but I suppose they could decide to go to the Lanc quarries or something as a gesture of good will. Too late to change it now, but something to think about next year perhaps.
 Al Evans 24 Sep 2011
In reply to joe.91:
> Sorry for the late post, no internet makes life difficult! The MUMC is having to trips to the Peaks this year like we have in previous years. The dates and locations for these trips are below;

Please go to The Peak instead.
 Al Evans 24 Sep 2011
In reply to MattG:
> (In reply to joe.91) Thanks for the heads up. I went to Froggatt for the first time in ages the other week and the main section is looking pretty battered compared to other Peak grit crags, maybe in future large scale meets could think about giving it a miss and swapping somewhere less classic for beginners that needs some extra traffic, like Baslow?

How about Agden Rocher?
Tim Chappell 24 Sep 2011
In reply to joe.91:

I don't mind you taking over the whole bloody crag, but could you please use the bloody apostrophe right?

:-0
 Liam Brown 24 Sep 2011
In reply to MattG:

This is, of course, a valid point. However, I think that the conservation of a crag such as Frogatt is a more general issue and not one exclusively for certain university climbing groups, although they should be aware and considerate of such issues.

Where else other than Baslow?

Mark Kemball 24 Sep 2011
In reply to joe.91: MUMC has held Freshers' meets to Stanage and Froggatt since at least 1974 when they introduced me as a fresher to climbing. Long may they continue to do so!
OP joe.91 24 Sep 2011
In reply to joe.91: I'm liking the fact most people are mocking my english! I'm an engineer student so english isn't my strong point!
 LakesWinter 24 Sep 2011
In reply to Liam Brown: Presuming you mean in the Eastern Peak then maybe Wharncliffe? Lots of options, usually quite quiet, a bit polished on some lines that were popular 100 years ago. Not been to Agden Rocher so no idea about that, though hopefully will get to go soon.
 Simon Caldwell 26 Sep 2011
In reply to Al Evans:
> How about Agden Rocher?

So long as they make sure they've got enough helmets

Actually, one of the great things about Agden is the peace and quiet, at least if you're going to Froggat then you expect crowds.
 Jonny2vests 27 Sep 2011
In reply to Al Evans:
> (In reply to MattG)
> [...]
>
> How about Agden Rocher?

How about the Afghan Border?
 Fiend 27 Sep 2011
In reply to joe.91:

Extremely bad choices as usual, given the overpopularity and the plethora of more suitable areas which any club leader should be aware of.
 muppetfilter 27 Sep 2011
In reply to Fiend: your point is inline with BMC group venue choice where "Responsible" venue choice will avoid large group sizes on popular crags on weekends with adequate toilet facilities...

Why go against so many points in the BMC suggestions ?
 Jonny2vests 27 Sep 2011
In reply to muppetfilter:
> (In reply to Fiend) your point is inline with BMC group venue choice where "Responsible" venue choice will avoid large group sizes on popular crags on weekends with adequate toilet facilities...
>
> Why go against so many points in the BMC suggestions ?

Because University clubs are not a 'group' in that sense. Those BMC guidelines seem to be aimed at top-roping & abseiling groups such as schools and commercial outfits etc. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Good University groups behave as leader / second pairs or triplets. Many of their members will evolve into 'real' climbers in a relatively short period of time, so quality of venue is important. The not-so-good university groups mass top-rope on a weekend (seemingly rare these days), they should definitely heed the BMC guidelines on groups and bugger off to Stannington Ruffs.
In reply to jonny2vests:
> (In reply to muppetfilter)
> [...]
>
> Because University clubs are not a 'group' in that sense. Those BMC guidelines seem to be aimed at top-roping & abseiling groups such as schools and commercial outfits etc. Correct me if I'm wrong.
>
> Good University groups behave as leader / second pairs or triplets. Many of their members will evolve into 'real' climbers in a relatively short period of time, so quality of venue is important. The not-so-good university groups mass top-rope on a weekend (seemingly rare these days), they should definitely heed the BMC guidelines on groups and bugger off to Stannington Ruffs.

well put sir.
 muppetfilter 27 Sep 2011
In reply to jonny2vests: Have a read of the BMC policy and you will see it does actually person to the type of organised gathering at crags that uni clubs carry out . There is even a BMC symposium at plas-y-brenin to cover the issues associated with clubs. The sympathetic useage statements are as relevant to them as they are to Schools, Scouts and young offenders.
As you rightly say numbers should be limited to reduce the impact to the environment and other users, big problems occur if two or more groups choose the same venue. That's 80 people urinating and eroding the paths and crag base in just a few hours. Even seconding routs that's a lot of extra pressure upon the crag in one day.
Anonymous 27 Sep 2011
In reply to Tim Chappell:
> (In reply to joe.91)
>
> ... but could you please use the bloody apostrophe right?
>

'Use the bloody apostrophe right'?

Surely you mean 'Use the bloody apostrophe correctly'?
OP joe.91 28 Sep 2011
In reply to joe.91: Its been decided that we're heading to the Roaches this Sunday (02.10.11), sorry for any inconveniences.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...