UKC

Heason Solo's End of the Affair

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Billy De Kid 13 Jun 2003
What's he going to do next!
Source 8a.nu
OP l applat 13 Jun 2003
In reply to Billy De Kid: impressive in the extreme
johncoxmysteriously 13 Jun 2003
In reply to Billy De Kid:

It has been soloed before, I believe.

I can’t follow the link – was this on-sight on the day?
 Simon Caldwell 13 Jun 2003
In reply to Billy De Kid:
I hope he was wearing a helmet
 MarkH 13 Jun 2003
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:
> (In reply to Billy De Kid)
>
> It has been soloed before, I believe.
>
> I can’t follow the link – was this on-sight on the day?

John, the article says:

"One of gritstone's most famous routes, and certainly one of its most photographed 'hard' routes, End of the Affair was immortalised by Leo Houlding's headpointed ascent, captured on camera for the award winning video "Hard Grit".
Although once considered the ultimate, this Johnny Dawes testpiece from 1986 has, in recent years, become something of an introduction to the art of Hard Grit headpointing.
Regarded by many as a soft touch E8, the technical and tenuous 'barndoor' crux is normally perfectly protected by bomber gear in the half height break. However, in the event of a fall from the routes usual mental crux - involving a powerful reach rightwards at the top, with only poor smears for feet - competant belaying is all that will save the climber from hurtling into the bone crunching landing on the boulder strewn hillside below.
Ommitting to use a rope and place the bomber cams, the levels of committment required to leave the ground would increase dramatically...
Having already headpointed the route last winter Heason had often considered soloing the line, contemplating whether the risk was worth it. Stating End of The Affair as one of the best lines on gritstone, ranking highly among his favourite routes of all time, Heason had little doubt.
On a cool crisp evening after work Heason committed, and soloed the precarious arete, adding yet another impressively bold gritstone ascent to his considerable tally. "

MarkH
Billy De Kid 13 Jun 2003
Doesn't say
http://www.8a.nu/eng/index.shtml
johncoxmysteriously 13 Jun 2003
In reply to MarkH:

Thanks.

Well, I might be wrong, but I think someone with a less purple publicist has beaten him to it. There are folk on here who’ll know whether I’m right or wrong.
OP Me 14 Jun 2003
In reply to johncoxmysteriously: He is not saying its a first, just that he has solod it??

Me
OP me 14 Jun 2003
In reply to Me: He might have Soloed it as well!!!

Good one Ben.

Me
 StuartM 15 Jun 2003
>
> Well, I might be wrong, but I think someone with a less purple publicist has beaten him to it. There are folk on here who’ll know whether I’m right or wrong.

Stop being so cynical John - he's not claiming its the first solo or any such thing - just saying he's soloed it (and he'd led it before so, no, not an onsight)
 Michael Ryan 15 Jun 2003
In reply to StuartM:

Wonder if Mr.Heason could transfer his talents to Yosemite.

The leather-clad thong-wearing (I kid ye not) Huber uber-bruders have done all the moves on El Cap's Zodiac and await cooler weather for the ultimate redpoint.

Mick
OP si 15 Jun 2003
In reply to Mick - Rockfax USA:

he has plans to mick next summer/autumn all being well. we have our eyes on a few neoclassics over there.
OP johncoxmysteriously 15 Jun 2003
In reply to Mick - Rockfax USA:

My God, is that true?!

I never said that the news release did say this was the first solo of EOTA, but one could be forgiven for getting that impression, don't you think?
OP si 15 Jun 2003

who else has soloed it.
In reply to si:

Not my story to tell, even if I was sure, which I'm not.
OP Me 15 Jun 2003
In reply to johncoxmysteriously: So it could be a first!

Me
In reply to Me:

Indeed it could. I'll be able to check my source on Monday.
 Michael Ryan 16 Jun 2003
> (In reply to Mick - Rockfax USA)
>
> My God, is that true?!

Yes both. Both wearing thongs...apparantly they were bouldering in Tuolumne in their signature leder laderhosen, but not bouldering very well because of the tight fit of their trousers, the heat and the size of their wedding tackle. So they peeled off the leather to reveal their berghaus thongs.......still couldn't boulder for shit.

Passers-by were sniggering and making comments, "Nice Pants uberbruder Alex".

The other...freeing the Zodiac....yes, nearly there apparantly.

Mick

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...