UKC

SEAT Leon Any Good?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 marky 16 Dec 2011
Currently have an Audi A3 Sportback but looking for something a bit cheaper. I am attaracted to the SEAT Leon 2.0TDI FR+ as they look good value with loads of standard kit. Anybody any experiences or alternative suggestions - not yet been for test drive.
 LastBoyScout 16 Dec 2011
In reply to marky:

Sister has just got one as a company car, replacing her Hyundai i3, although is a slightly lower spec than that, I think.

So far, she's not that impressed, I don't think, but can ask her next week - mainly, she's missing the storage cubby holes that the i3 had, with particular reference to lack of lids to hide things, but she is a girl
 John_Hat 16 Dec 2011
In reply to marky:

Lady Blue has a 1.6tdi F Copa Ecomotive Leon. She's really impressed and pleased with it.

I've driven it quite a bit, and whilst its not my type of car (I prefer a sofa with wheels) the handling is excellent - slowing down for corners appears optional - the ride is firm, and the equipment level is very good. It's also quite nippy.

The bluetooth phone connection and voice control is excellent.

Whinges -
1. No ashtry for Lady Blue,
2. although it can hapily read music off a memory stick the display isn't really suited to browsing a USB stick.
3. The speedo is frankly insanly set out. It would work very well if you spent all your time between 80 and 120mph but not so much if you're driving around town.
4. The dash and steering wheel is a bit plasticy - the leather kit would obviously remove this problem.

However these are really minor whinges and we're really happy. We are not getting the mpg we were expecting - it averages mid-50's - but as all it ever does is Lady Blue's commute which is 20 miles of stop start queue perhaps that's not the "urban cycle" they had in mind.

One bit of advice - when you go for a test drive make sure its the right engine. Lady Blue went for a test drive in the 1.2 petrol and hated it, but loved the 1.6tdi.
 ryan_d 17 Dec 2011
In reply to marky:
The engine is great, and economical, very good drive, but its a little plastic inside, but reasonably specced. Good for money though. One thing though, and this is why I didn't buy one...on the FR model you're thinking about the seats are racing buckets seats and wrap around really tightly. At first they feel great but after an hour of driving get really uncomfortable, unless you're narrow shouldered or skinny...which I am neither.

I went with a Honda Civic SI 2.2....similar money. Nicer inside and comfier, but interior still gets rattles. similar driveability to the leon but much less fuel economy...only getting 40mpg combined. And although I like to give it some i'm not a complete nuisance. I drive relatively sensibly around town and still can't get it up above 42mpg and most of my daily driving is motorway.

Leon has a much smaller boot...probably the smallest in the class.
Ryan
 Nordic 17 Dec 2011
In reply to marky: I had one for 4 years, really loved it, excellent handling. Suspension was a bit on the hard side, but I believe they've improved it since the '07 model I had.
andy guppy 17 Dec 2011
In reply to marky:
On my second one...fast[faster if reprogrammed..210BHP] and ecomonical[did 57mph going to S of France last summer] and cheap!!...an A3 or Golf TDGTI in disguise. Has a firm ride as stated but Ive not had a problem with it.
Have you seen the new model!!..not out till 2012/2013 but.....
Guppy
 gunbo 17 Dec 2011
In reply to marky: seat use audi engines and parts so id say go for it ive got a volkswagen passat i know they used the same engines as the leons for awhile and they are brilliant got a 140 thou on it and still going strong
I've got one just now, 1.9tdi (old and a bit rough).

I'd rather have had the 2.0tdi but the insurance was too high for me.

Pros: Handling - sure footed, reliable. Tends to gentle understeer and has dynamic stability control so you're unlikely to get caught out. High grip levels.

I get about 46mpg average, which might sound low, but that's a 8mile daily drive to work through traffic and I'm fairly heavy footed on the back roads the rest of the time.

Comfy seats, good equipment (air con etc.)

Cons: Suspension is a slightly firm, but there's a reasonable amount of roll, and the steering is very light (you do get used to it though) I wish there was a little more "feel" but most modern cars are a bit like that.

Cheap plastics. No armrest and the interior door handle has no padding so not great for leaning your elbow on.

I'm keeping mine for a while.
andy guppy 17 Dec 2011
In reply to marky:
Forgot to mention...SHIT in the snow however!!!!
In reply to andy guppy: Great in the snow with snow tyres...
andy guppy 18 Dec 2011
In reply to Fultonius:
I imagine so...but with the standard ones:[

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...