UKC

Beacon Climbing Wall, North Wales

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Bimbler 01 Jan 2012
Anyone know when the move to Caernarfon will be?
 Mark Reeves Global Crag Moderator 01 Jan 2012
In reply to Bimbler: Pretty sure it will be well into the new year.
In reply to Bimbler: Sadly that's right we are currently looking at early summer - the whole process of purchasing the building seems to have taken forever.

On a more positive note I've been designing a 'comp style' lead wall over the last few days. With a maximum height of 17m and overhanging by nearly 7m it's going to give some impressive climbing! We'll be posting up images of the wall designs soon on our facebook page soon.

Thanks for taking an interest
Steve
 Landy_Dom 01 Jan 2012
In reply to Steve Mayers:

Don't forget to provide something for slabaholics! A common problem I find with climbing walls is the predomination of overhangs, with slabs used only for easy learner stuff. I'd love to see some fingery 6a-6c slab climbs covered? Cheers!
Removed User 01 Jan 2012

What happened to the old place? I used to use it all the time in my Uni days and loved it.
 Denni 01 Jan 2012
In reply to Removed User:

Still there. Went at the start of December, nothing seemed to have changed since the Army champs about 5 years ago!
In reply to Landy_Dom: Good point about technical slabs - it would be good to have an area for more technical climbing that didn't get covered in big holds...

Steve

In reply to Steve Mayers: where abouts in Caernarfon will the wall be? or is that a secret?
 Landy_Dom 01 Jan 2012
> (In reply to Landy_Dom) Good point about technical slabs - it would be good to have an area for more technical climbing that didn't get covered in big holds...
>
> Steve

In reply to higherclimbingwales: No secret! It's going to be in the old Barcud film studio which is on the cibyn estate just outside Caernarfon on the Llanberis road. Much bigger and with better access than our current location and importantly no leaky roof!

Steve
Bimbler 01 Jan 2012
Many thanks. Will be packing my umbrella for visits in the foreseeable future!
In reply to Steve Mayers: Excellent, i'll look forward to it. recently moved to area and the bumpy road up to the current location is not doing my car any favours
 christoph owen 02 Jan 2012
In reply to Landy_Dom:
> (In reply to Steve Mayers)
>
> Don't forget to provide something for slabaholics! A common problem I find with climbing walls is the predomination of overhangs, with slabs used only for easy learner stuff. I'd love to see some fingery 6a-6c slab climbs covered? Cheers!

Another vote for technical slab climbs!
As you say there is a lack of hard slab routes at climbing walls
zeekthefreak 02 Jan 2012
In reply to Steve mayers:
Will everyone be welcome at the new wall, Steve? Or are you going to introduce a 'no swearing ' rule?
 Richard Wilson 02 Jan 2012
In reply to zeekthefreak:

As its a family friendly activity surely the default should be to not swear any way?
 FrJ 02 Jan 2012
Wish you well. I enjoyed climbing at the Beacon on wet days and look forward to seeing the new place.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...