UKC

Does anyone want to be sponsored?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Dave 88 04 Jan 2012
I've just seen the premier post from Mammut; asking for people to contact them for sponsorship in 2012. Does anyone else find this a bit odd? I would've thought gear companies would be inundated with requests for sponsorship, never mind actually paying to advertise their need for climbers. Do people just assume that they won't get sponsored, so don't bother asking?

I know not everyone wants to be sponsored, but free kit in exchange for attending a few photo shoots and keeping a blog, seems like a bloody good deal to me.

Link here: http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?n=488529

Sorry if it's a bit of a pointless post, just baffled me a bit.
 Edradour 04 Jan 2012
In reply to Dave 88:

It seems to me that they're trying something a bit different and perhaps aiming to sponsor a personality rather than an elite climber.

The ad isn't very detailed but it does say that a ticklist isn't enough and they want to know about the individual.

I think it might be quite a clever way to promote their products in a 'they sponsor normal people like us too - they must be alright, I'll buy their gear' way?
 sbc_10 04 Jan 2012
In reply to Dave 88:

Would they consider sponsoring a scrambler? A lot of their boots fit nicely into that category. Suppose I'll be let down when it comes to the flowing locks, lantern jawed profile, bare chested and tight lycra photos....well maybe I can manage the tight lycra.
 buzby 04 Jan 2012
In reply to Dave 88: to be honest im not sure i get the whole sponsored thing at all, as its obvious the " sponsored climber is either paid in cash or product to endorse the companys brand then why would that make you want to buy it as they are obviously not going to say anything derogatory about it.
i would be much more inclined to look at what unsposored professional guides are wearing or using as they would have no agenda other than good value for money from their kit.
im not slagging climbers who are sponsored as if you can get something out of it then more power to them but it wouldnt make me want to purchase any product because they got it free from a sponsor.
OP Dave 88 04 Jan 2012
In reply to Fickalli:

Yeah true, but I would've thought any gear company would want more than just a tick list. They want to know if you'll be doing exciting news worthy climbs in the future.
 buzby 04 Jan 2012
In reply to buzby: one other thought , do you suppose those news reporters you see standing at the seaside or on some motorway bridge during the gales get their north face or arcteryx jackets free as it would seem a great product placement idea.
OP Dave 88 04 Jan 2012
In reply to sbc_10:

Haha yeah I did wonder if they were in the market for someone to disco leg their way up E1's. Probably not, unfortunately.
OP Dave 88 04 Jan 2012
In reply to buzby:

Yeah I thought that, if a climber were getting their gear that kind of coverage, they'd be dead chuffed.
OP Dave 88 04 Jan 2012
In reply to buzby:

I agree a bit, but when you see sonny trotter and steve mclure cruising Raphsody in their 5.10 blancos, did a little part of you not think; might get myself a pair of them...

Or when you hear Andy K saying how duff Ian Parnells TNF kit was, you can't help but think; maybe I'll get a Patagonia jacket.
In reply to Dave 88:
> (In reply to buzby)
>
> I agree a bit, but when you see sonny trotter and steve mclure cruising Raphsody in their 5.10 blancos, did a little part of you not think; might get myself a pair of them...
>
Erm..... 2 pairs!
OP Dave 88 04 Jan 2012
In reply to James Paul Robinson:

Haha the free ones they gave to sonny and steve have paid for themselves already then!
 Rick Ashton 04 Jan 2012
In reply to buzby: BBC all get discount at Berghaus
OP Dave 88 04 Jan 2012
In reply to Rick Ashton:

Clever idea. Although, now knowing that, it doesn't say much for berghaus gear, when you see bbc reporters turning out in Rab, TNF, Arc'teryx etc.
 Ramblin dave 04 Jan 2012
In reply to buzby:
> (In reply to Dave 88) to be honest im not sure i get the whole sponsored thing at all, as its obvious the " sponsored climber is either paid in cash or product to endorse the companys brand then why would that make you want to buy it as they are obviously not going to say anything derogatory about it.

I think the general idea is to get the brand name out there among the community and make sure climbers know that they exist and that they care about 'proper climbers' as well as suburban dog walkers and that their stuff is worth a look rather than to get a paid-for endorsement saying that they're better than their competitors.

It's like the way that companies pay ENORMOUS amounts of money to sponsor football teams or advertise at grounds or sponsor events even though the 'advertising' they get is just one word written on the shirts or whatever.

If they're trying to get their name out there by sponsoring some average punters who aren't world class climbers but try hard and write entertainingly about what they're up to then fair play to them - it'd be an interesting change from the usual approach.
 jkarran 04 Jan 2012
In reply to Dave 88:

> Clever idea. Although, now knowing that, it doesn't say much for berghaus gear, when you see bbc reporters turning out in Rab, TNF, Arc'teryx etc.

Surely that's more a reflection on the current fashion than the quality of Berghaus kit (all that presupposes they don't get similar or better deals elsewhere anyway).

OP: I guess maybe Mammut are looking for someone new, someone with PR skills to match their climbing CV rather than simply adding their logos alongside others on one of the better known sponsored climbers. I guess the ad has paid for itself whether or not they find someone, it's got us talking Mammut hasn't it...

jk
 muppetfilter 04 Jan 2012
In reply to Dave 88: We'll also give you exclusive access to Mammut Pro Team athletes which includes the likes of bouldering legend, Anna Stöh

Blimey ... does this include fettling do you think ???
OP Dave 88 04 Jan 2012
In reply to jkarran:

Yeah very true.

On your second point- maybe their looking at it from a football academy perspective, ie, get someone promising in on the cheap, then when they get better hope they stay loyal to you. Not a bad idea if that's the thinking.

Yeah but only cos I've posted about it, damn I've fallen into their trap!

Mammut, if you're reading; I think you owe me a free t-shirt.
OP Dave 88 04 Jan 2012
In reply to muppetfilter:

I don't want to google fettling!

I did think it was a bit of a wierd thing to mention, but can you imagine having a top climber in your phonebook, that you could ring up for advice or to go for a training session with. Probably more valuable to your climbing than all the free gear.
 remus Global Crag Moderator 04 Jan 2012
In reply to Dave 88: I dont think they're short of applications for sponsorship: http://www.mammut.ch/en/sponsoring_guidelines_ch.html

I reckon they're just looking to see if they can find someone to sponsor who appeals to a different market than the sport/bouldering and alpine lot that seem to make up the majority of their sponsored climbers at the moment.

Given that they've got an advertising package with UKC sticking up a premier post asking for applications is a very cheap and easy way of finding people who could make good sponsees. No risk on their part and a reasonable chance of finding a few likely looking people.
 Anna G 04 Jan 2012
In reply to Dave 88: how good do you actually have to be to be sponsered?
OP Dave 88 04 Jan 2012
In reply to annna g:

No idea. I'm guessing above average. Their not gonna want people seeing their sponsored climbers shaking up a diff. Doesn't send the right messages and all that!
OP Dave 88 04 Jan 2012
In reply to annna g:

Also I'd assumed they'll want you doing news worthy (hard/scary) climbs so their brand gets a run out in magazines and online climbing news.
OP Dave 88 04 Jan 2012
In reply to annna g:

Just looked at your profile, you might as well give them a shout if your planning a busy 2012, I reckon grades wise they'd be happy. You never know, they might send you a beanie to replace the tea cosy you're rocking in your profile pic!
 muppetfilter 04 Jan 2012
In reply to Dave 88:
> (In reply to muppetfilter)
>
> I don't want to google fettling!
>
> I did think it was a bit of a wierd thing to mention, but can you imagine having a top climber in your phonebook, that you could ring up for advice or to go for a training session with. Probably more valuable to your climbing than all the free gear.

She has an arse like two hard boiled eggs in a hankie ... and you want to ask about training tips ? I would suggest googling more than just fettling ;0)
 Keendan 05 Jan 2012
In reply to annna g:

Looks like you get loads of climbing in, and your profile looks strong. Try it!
 Mr-Cowdrey 05 Jan 2012
In reply to Dave 88: the way i read it was that they are looking for up and coming climbers perhaps? I'm an average joe, climb at weekends, but keen to climb harder etc. I was considering applying, but what puts me off is that alot of people climb harder than i do, and on a more frequent basis, and all the sponsors i have seen climb hard and often, so would feel as if i'm wasting their time, but there we go, that's my personal feel on things.
 Anna G 05 Jan 2012
In reply to Dave 88: thanks! but i dont think so i climb rubbish 90% of the time i was just wondering how good you have to be. and i love my tea cosy
 Swig 05 Jan 2012
In reply to buzby:

> i would be much more inclined to look at what unsposored professional guides are wearing or using as they would have no agenda other than good value for money from their kit.

Gear companies give steep discounts from the MIA qualification. Not sure whether a full guide would get an even greater discount. So it might be difficult to compare "value for money".
 GarethSL 05 Jan 2012
In reply to Dave 88: We're 'sponsored' by Klattermusen at our university, in the end it all turns out to be shit, overpriced and some of the most gimmicky crap ever, just like IKEA.

Plus everyone ends up looking the same, in boring and monotonous colours, with a silhouette to match Kenny from South Park.

TBF, I'd rather choose my own gear, though it is nice to trash stuff on the cheap... then bitch about it later
 J B Oughton 05 Jan 2012
In reply to Dave 88:

Anyone know if there is an age restriction? I'm not sure if being 15 is an advantage or disadvantage...

Also, I keep an 8a.nu account so I can compare myself to others my age and I realised yesterday that after my recent holiday I'm 3rd in the Brit Juniors for sport climbing, wondering if that would be any advantage?

ice.solo 05 Jan 2012
In reply to Dave 88:

dont want to burst bubbles here, but sponsorship isnt about them giving you free shit and you just saying how good it is.

basicly the company needs to make back from you the market value of all the stuff they give you.
if youre chris sharma thats easy because people will pay just to say your name - but short of 2 or 3 'stars' sponsored climbers actually are involved in quite a bit more, sometimes reluctantly so.

usually you are required to give detailed feedback on the stuff, present on it when the company wants you to and endorse the gear not just hanging around climbing walls, but at trade shows and boring industry meetings.

the downside is you may be restricted in wearing/using what you want at certain times. its not unusal to see sponsored climbers/expeditions wearing one thing for the photos then changing after.

now, i havent looked into the mammut thing, but is it sponsoring a person, or sponsoring a trip? it may just be like a competition thing for a one off where you win a climbing holiday and have to wear their t-shirt all the time. or maybe not.

i say all this being sponsored by a certain company associated with climbing apparel - not because im a shit hot climber (im not), but because where i climb i get attention. the same company does sponsor several shit hot climbers, and i see what they do for it, and its almost like a part time job.
mind you, they are sponsored to help develop stuff, not just to climb what and when they feel like it. some of them like that, but some find it hard fulfilling their obligations (giving slide shows, photo shoots, feedback etc).
a good sponsored climber doesnt just climb well, but fulfils their contract well too.
or they can become once-sponsored climbers, of which theres plenty.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...