UKC

Indoor Ice Climbing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Parrys_apprentice 05 Jan 2012
Where are the UK's indoor ice climbing facilities?

and is it any good?
Jimmybarr 05 Jan 2012
In reply to Parrys_apprentice:

The biggest, and IMO the best, is the Ice Factor at Kinlochleven.
 Ander 05 Jan 2012

Ice Factor in Kinlochleven
Ellis Brigham in Covent Garden
Ellis Brigham near Manchester

Only been to Ice Factor, which is good. The others have much more limited facitlites, though if it lets you practice some good technique, might be worth it...
Parrys_apprentice 05 Jan 2012
In reply to Ander:

thanks, I guess I should have mentioned that we're based in the midlands, so although Ice Factor sounds good, is a bit of a trek for a day trip. Are the Ellis Brigham ones worth going to or is it just a bit at the side of a shop?
andic 05 Jan 2012
In reply to Parrys_apprentice: I was looking at going to the one in Manchester and popped in for a chat while I was over there. The wall is not that impressive to look at only 4 or so topropes at grade WI3.
But the staff member who I spoke to was really enthusiastic and knew his stuff, he was talking about painting some "eliminates" onto the ice to make it a bit more interesting. Don't know if he got around to it tho' as I still havn't been
 Richard Carter 05 Jan 2012

The Ice Factor is great, plus excellent value. I went to the one in Leeds a few times before it shut down, but it was cheaper for me and a friend to drive to Kinlochleven (6hours), do two hours of climbing, then drive home (another 6h), than it was for an hour at Leeds :-P

I especially like the fact you can climb but because it's indoors you don't have to wear bulky clothes, thick gloves etc.
 nufkin 05 Jan 2012

The ice wall at the Covent Garden Ellis Brigham is pretty small, and desperately expensive, but you can still have a good time if you deliberately spice things up - no swinging/one axe/only the steepest section/etc.
Probably best as a 'refresher' venue if you're feeling a bit rusty (and wealthy) before a trip, rather than for regular training.
 Neil Watson 05 Jan 2012
In reply to Parrys_apprentice: I did the Ellis-Brigham in Covent Garden early December. Although it was my first time at ice climbing and don't think I'm fully qualified to make comparisons I thought it was great and my instructor, Nick was exceptional.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...