UKC

DESTINATION GUIDE: BMG Route Choice: Resurrection, Sgurr Mor Fannaich

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 09 Jan 2012
Owen on the 1st pitch, 3 kbResurrection is a North West Highlands snow and ice classic of alpine proportion.

In this article British Mountain Guide Owen Samuel gives us all the info we need.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=4348

Captain Solo 09 Jan 2012
In reply to UKC Articles:
Must go back and do the icefall start one day.
NB There is no 'e' in Munro!
 James Edwards 09 Jan 2012
A great article, particually the tips about runners and belays. The 'old' description of it being a near solo due to the lack of protection has put many folk off doing one of the best lines in the area.

One question though, did you ever buy the beers for the person who gave you the Skyscrapper buttess beta?
Yours
James (i like Guiness) e
 Jasonic 09 Jan 2012
In reply to UKC Articles: We did in thin conditions however clearly had been guided with chopped ledges/snow belays. A warthog was handy in the turf at the top. Highly enjoyable day out.
 Jimmy56 09 Jan 2012

When the snow line is above about 450m (not unusual) - the walk in is one of the shortest in the north west, with a good path all the way to Loch a' Mhadaidh and as the article mentions only 500m to gain. You can even see the face from the road, weather permitting - so it's never felt very remote to me.

I'm expecting to see a few more folk this season up Sgurr Mor after these tempting photos - I'll be the one weaselling away up Easter Gully cos the top pitch of Resurrection puts me off.

Michael Gordon 09 Jan 2012

Nice article. I thought the walk-in was bloody awful!
 Ronbo 09 Jan 2012
In reply to Michael Gordon: Too right!
 Colin Wells 11 Jan 2012
Do it soon if you like to climb in wild places - the eastern part of the Fannichs is scheduled to become a gigantic power station soon...
pasbury 11 Jan 2012
In reply to Colin Wells:

Link?
 Jimmy56 11 Jan 2012
In reply to pasbury:

I think he's refering to Corrie Mollie ( http://www.eon-uk.com/downloads/Fig_(ES_5.45).pdf is a map of visibility ) - which is likely to be more obvious from Wyvis than any of the Fannaichs.

andymoin 12 Jan 2012
In reply to UKC Articles: If there's enough snow how feasible is the climbing with ski's on your back? Any chimneys or tight climbing to get around? A skin in and fun descent looks like it may speed the walk in/out.

Cheers Andy.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...