UKC

Snow socks or chains for car?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Off to Lakes and thinking of being slightly better prepared for bad weather. Front wheel drive car, won't be using it if conditions bad, but thinking of the "getting to a gritted road" scenario if bad conditions lock in for an extended period.

Don't have winter tyres on, and car spends 99% of time parked outside house in the south.

Any advise greatfully received
 bluebealach 31 Jan 2012
In reply to Game of Conkers: Snow covered roads in the Lakes this year??

We should be so lucky...............
In reply to bluebealach: Lol, but should there be a dump of snow, what would you advise? or are all the roads gritted well? I'm a tourist in these parts.
 mmmhumous 31 Jan 2012
 Milesy 31 Jan 2012
In reply to Game of Conkers:

Snow socks are better for short periods of use in fresh snow. Snow chains are more suitable to snow and ice which builds up of longer periods of times such as in europe. You're going to the Lake District, not the Alaska highway. Grit wont help on anything more than light snow anyway.
In reply to All: OK, great...snow socks it is. Thx guys
 Nick Harvey 31 Jan 2012
In reply to Game of Conkers: Or the other ones that are like snowsocks but have little metal studs in them (michelin easy grip?) - no idea what they are like, i have snowsocks, but these seem like a possible improvement.
 mmmhumous 07 Feb 2012
In reply to Game of Conkers:

Proved their worth again on Saturday night, allowing me to get past a variety of numpties applying the "more gas = more speed" approach to winter driving. Some of the highlights were an Audi driver spinning repeatedly on the flat, and a Range Rover driver who had ground to a halt on a hill, with only 2-3 inches of powder!?!

Starting to wonder whether there should be an additional driving test for adverse weather driving. The nuber of drivers adopting the "full audi" spacing was just ridiculous!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...