UKC

Wide Boyz Lecture

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Just wanted to say how much I enjoyed Tom Randalls' lecture last night (care of Bowline CC) about their recent trip to the USA.

It gives a great insight into the dedication and training that went on to help both Tom & Pete achieve some great ascents on US turf, along with some practical demo's and explanations of offwidth climbing terminology...If you get the chance go and see!

Looking forward to the film later this year...
 Ramblin dave 01 Feb 2012
In reply to Bradshaw Taylor: Yeah, I saw them in Cambridge earlier in the year and they were excellent.
 Hat Dude 01 Feb 2012
In reply to Bradshaw Taylor:

I'll second that, I thought it was really fresh and honest.

I know you're watching out there Tom so thanks.
 ejected 01 Feb 2012
In reply to Bradshaw Taylor: Agreed, I thought the lecture was superb! Lots of good stories, photos, video as well as some insights in to the minds of the Wideboyz and what keeps them so psyched! Quality.
In reply to Hat Dude: Ah yes, well remembered. I am indeed watching with the all-seeing eye (along with.........) so I'll note all comments and come and get ya

And Cleggy - I'm looking out for you!

kingborris 01 Feb 2012

Are there plans for any more lectures?
 joljols 01 Feb 2012
In reply to Bradshaw Taylor: It was a great lecture in Cambridge indeed! Almost able to do the pink overhanging problem by Tom and a friend of mine just did it. Looking forward to the video!
In reply to kingborris:

The next ones coming up are:

23rd Feb, Expert Night at Shaff (Sheffield
2nd March, Kendal Wall
31st March, Outside Hathersage.

I might organise one more if there's demand!

Other than that, me and Pete will be doing a full tour around the time of the film release for Kendal Film Fest/Edinburg Film Fest, in which case there will plenty of venues around the UK.

Puppythedog 01 Feb 2012
In reply to Tom Randall - Lattice Training: Come to Gloucester, The Warehouse have just started getting lectures in and such stuff, I would love to see your lecture. Failing that what about Bristol, I could get there, or Cardiff? Also do I remember reading that there would be some Videos on here explaining what some of the offwidth skills are that you've been referring to?
Nice one in the states,
James
 mattrm 02 Feb 2012

Another vote for Cardiff!
 Hat Dude 09 Feb 2012
In reply to Tom Randall - Lattice Training:

Beware of the perils of tabloid celebrity!!!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2098610/Theyve-cracked-Two-British-...

Quote from the comments on the article

"If only our MP's had just half the guts of these brave lads, our country would be bounding along on the top of a wave. All I can say it it was a great feet(sic) of determination, true old fashioned British grit."

Just what i was thinking

Chris the Tall 09 Feb 2012
In reply to Tom Randall - Lattice Training:
> (In reply to kingborris)
>
> The next ones coming up are:
>
> 23rd Feb, Expert Night at Shaff (Sheffield
> 31st March, Outside Hathersage.
>
You b**st**d, I'm away for both of those
 Michael Hood 09 Feb 2012
In reply to Hat Dude: Last year I believed all the stuff posted on UKC and the various blogs about the wide boyz ascents. Now that it's appeared in the Daily Mail I have doubts about whether the ascent ever really happened However please do not let these doubts escalate into a need to get the drill out.

I'm very impressed by the number of errors (mainly incorrect terminology) the DM managed to get into that short article - might be ok for joe public but for any climber it just comes across as shoddy journalism. They could have given any climber a pint to quickly go over and sort out the obvious gaffs.
 Hat Dude 09 Feb 2012
In reply to Michael Hood:
> (In reply to Hat Dude) Last year I believed all the stuff posted on UKC and the various blogs about the wide boyz ascents. Now that it's appeared in the Daily Mail I have doubts about whether the ascent ever really happened

I don't think they "look like lovely young lads" either!
 Steve Clegg 09 Feb 2012
In reply to Michael Hood:
I know you know this but, they're into making money, not necessarily telling the truth.
And so's the Daily Mail.
Steve
 Dave 88 09 Feb 2012
In reply to puppythedog:

Yeah something down south would be good.
 IainWhitehouse 09 Feb 2012
In reply to Dave 88:
> (In reply to puppythedog)
>
> Yeah something down south would be good.

Indeed. Not many things are, are they.
 Dave 88 09 Feb 2012
In reply to IainWhitehouse:

I can't work out if you're being sarcastic or not! Certainly in terms of climbers doing the rounds, it mainly seems to be up north. More demand/closer to home I suppose. Wouldn't mind betting they'd sell out a date in Bristol though.
 Helnorris 22 Feb 2012
In reply to Tom Randall - Lattice Training: Any idea when the tickets will be available to buy for the 31st march lecture?

Thanks

Helen
 Morwood 22 Feb 2012
In reply to Helnorris: Yeah I'd like to know too, anyone have any info?
In reply to Morwood: From what I understand, the tickets are available from Outside on the day of the lecture. I think you can buy them either in person at the shop in Hathersage or over the phone?

If you miss out on this one, we'll be doing another in the Autumn when the film comes out with extended film footage. It'll be hosted somewhere in the centre of Sheffield (along with some others round the UK)

Hope that helps

Tom
 Puppythedog 23 Feb 2012
In reply to Tom Randall - Lattice Training: There's a chap organising lectures/shows and masterclasses at the Warehouse in Gloucester now. He's got a post in the Premium thread bit about a lecture with 'Caff'. It would be great to see you here in Gloucester- only a couple of hours down the road from the Peak,
In reply to Dave 88:

>Wouldn't mind betting they'd sell out a date in Bristol though.

Yeah, or Mile End. Come on, Tom, sort it out!

jcm
 Helnorris 23 Feb 2012
In reply to Tom Randall - Lattice Training: Brill, thanks Tom for the heads up. Hopefully we will be able to get some. Any way of reserving a couple closer to the time a
or couple of days in advance? No bother if not. Just on the off chance due to a long way to travel.

Many thanks for the help and info.

Helen

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...